Ibanez NAMM 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice. I'm glad these are selling well enough to get 2 new models.

I'm intrigued by this cheaper one. I'm more concerned with the frets though. Did they change them to nickel and change the pickups to make it cheaper?

I'm sure the X will be great. But I played multiple Jiva10s in stores and they were all really good.

I personally don't see the need to spring for the X but I'm glad it exists.

edit: I'm super stupid. This guitar never had stainless steel frets.

It's been a hit overseas, hence the new budget model.

This makes Nita only the fourth artist to ever get a sub-budget model when they're also selling a MIJ.

Only Steve, Joe, Kiko, and Nita have had a flagship, mid-tier, and budget model all available at once.

EDIT: I'm a dumb dumb. Add Paul Stanley to that list, and Paul Gilbert if you count super limited editions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I personally could do without the gold he on the K720. Sort of a Jem rip off imo.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
That's illustrious company for Nita to be in and I think she deserves it too. Good for her

danpintos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hope the build quality is acceptable on the Jiva JR... I've been eyeing that finish on Instagram since Nita announced it, knowing full well that when it released I was going to give Ibanez my money. I thought it was going to be at the same price point as the Jiva10. I'll end up changing the pickups regardless, but it could be a pain to find an acceptable one to start modding. I also have my eye on that Yvette Young Talman... I love bright finishes. Ibanez is trying to make me broke!

DCM_Allan

Sol Invictus
Reaction score
I hope the build quality is acceptable on the Jiva JR... I've been eyeing that finish on Instagram since Nita announced it, knowing full well that when it released I was going to give Ibanez my money. I thought it was going to be at the same price point as the Jiva10. I'll end up changing the pickups regardless, but it could be a pain to find an acceptable one to start modding. I also have my eye on that Yvette Young Talman... I love bright finishes. Ibanez is trying to make me broke!
The Jiva Jr looks similar to the one she posted on IG, however was doing a comparison and the Jiva JR didn't have the same color finish looks more cheaper :(

danpintos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Jiva Jr looks similar to the one she posted on IG, however was doing a comparison and the Jiva JR didn't have the same color finish looks more cheaper :(
That probably explains why it wasn't in the catalog... maybe a last second decision to cut costs with a cheap model so they went with a worse finish too. I thought it looked weird on Ibanez's website too. Damn.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Funny I had to come to SSO to read mostly positive reviews of PIA LOL

I registered the complaint in early December that they are just dropping the ball on the 7 string market banking mostly on lower budget leaving instrument level with very limited offerings. They get it, but, still deaf ears.

The pricing may seem high but you should know there will be hikes on most everything Japanese 2/1. I didn't check the other lines, Max would know.

I also made sure to give my opinion of their concentration of efforts on the AZ at the expense of all the core models that have been around for 30 years. They seem to be searching for some magic combination that will increase sales. If they gave us 7 new colors of RG's in the last 4 months we'd probably be speechless. I have nothing against the AZ, I like it as a concept, I like it as a guitar. I just believe they have so much invested in it they're trying too hard.

It's really nice to see a couple more quality additions to the lefty crew though, especially an AZ. It took a long time for them to get it, but I think they finally have. There absolutely needs to be availability of quality left hand guitars in regular production, which has come a long way from giving us 2 weeks in 1999 to order whatever 3120L's we thought we could sell, because that was all they were making, and it was many years until the next run, so long I'm having trouble remembering what came after the 3120L!! Although I'll blame a little of that on the oxy/valium mix.Thank god for spellcheck! ;)

I like PIA, I don't love the pickups, then again, they kinda fit. It's a nice facelift to an old model that has definitely gotten people talking about it again, good or bad, any publicity is ..........

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Funny I had to come to SSO to read mostly positive reviews of PIA LOL

I registered the complaint in early December that they are just dropping the ball on the 7 string market banking mostly on lower budget leaving instrument level with very limited offerings. They get it, but, still deaf ears.

The pricing may seem high but you should know there will be hikes on most everything Japanese 2/1. I didn't check the other lines, Max would know.

I also made sure to give my opinion of their concentration of efforts on the AZ at the expense of all the core models that have been around for 30 years. They seem to be searching for some magic combination that will increase sales. If they gave us 7 new colors of RG's in the last 4 months we'd probably be speechless. I have nothing against the AZ, I like it as a concept, I like it as a guitar. I just believe they have so much invested in it they're trying too hard.

It's really nice to see a couple more quality additions to the lefty crew though, especially an AZ. It took a long time for them to get it, but I think they finally have. There absolutely needs to be availability of quality left hand guitars in regular production, which has come a long way from giving us 2 weeks in 1999 to order whatever 3120L's we thought we could sell, because that was all they were making, and it was many years until the next run, so long I'm having trouble remembering what came after the 3120L!! Although I'll blame a little of that on the oxy/valium mix.Thank god for spellcheck! ;)

I like PIA, I don't love the pickups, then again, they kinda fit. It's a nice facelift to an old model that has definitely gotten people talking about it again, good or bad, any publicity is ..........

I too was pretty surprised that many people like the PIA here. I have to say about the AZ however, as someone who’s tastes changed from pointy-RG to more modern fusion and clean-tone focused music I’m more than happy to see the AZ getting more focus but I see your point with the saturation of new models.

P.S. we hope you are doing well, Rich!

cip 123

Reaction score
that’s literally not what I’m talking about.

All I’m saying is that once the cnc process is running as intended there’s no reason that an s prestige and an rg prestige shouldn’t be within a hundred dollars of each other.

Do you own a CNC?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
The S shape probably takes much longer to cut (curved body) and may cause more rejects because there may be knots/flaws that only become visible as the body is carved down.

DCM_Allan

Sol Invictus
Reaction score
What I think is if Ibanez is not making more Prestige S 7 strings, or at least this year, will be a good Idea to seek one of the oldest models online, in example the S5527QFX (which I own one) The other one S6527, I saw some of them on Reverb and other places, I'm happy with my S5527 is a solid boy, and the prices now aren't too bad $1400 + shipping in some cases.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best thing about the AZ is seeing Ibanez actually put some effort into a new line. It feels like "old Ibanez", the brand that would launch a new line with tons of variations. Go all-in on a risk. It was exciting.

I just want them to go a little further. Give us some 7s, some new/different hardware, crazy colors, something.

I don't not like the AZ. It's probably a lot closer to the last few guitars I actually bought, but until there's a 7 I'm not likely to actually buy one.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
that’s literally not what I’m talking about.

All I’m saying is that once the cnc process is running as intended there’s no reason that an s prestige and an rg prestige shouldn’t be within a hundred dollars of each other.

The S shape requires probably quite a lot more carving passes than an RG, I’d think the higher price reflects quite clearly that it’s a product that takes more time & work, and definitely more wear on the tools.

*edit* hadn’t seen cardinals post before I posted, my bad^
The S shape probably takes much longer to cut (curved body) and may cause more rejects because there may be knots/flaws that only become visible as the body is carved down.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
The best thing about the AZ is seeing Ibanez actually put some effort into a new line. It feels like "old Ibanez", the brand that would launch a new line with tons of variations. Go all-in on a risk. It was exciting.

I just want them to go a little further. Give us some 7s, some new/different hardware, crazy colors, something.

I don't not like the AZ. It's probably a lot closer to the last few guitars I actually bought, but until there's a 7 I'm not likely to actually buy one.

I agree but at some point it starts to reek of Talmans where they tried to hard to make a market where only a niche ever existed. I like the guitar, I like the direction, I just think they're trying too hard to force the model to become mainstream, when that is something that happens organically, not because they put out 7 new colors looking for a combination that generates enough sales. And you are absolutely right, without including a 7 string version, who is running that show?

Now I'm all for options, especially color, but you know how Ibanez works, they're only going to carry a certain number of SKU's and they're devoting [IMO] too many of them to the AZ in relation to the core models that they made their reputation on. You don't even have an S7 right now, the only new RG7 is an RGD, leaving only 2 RG7's available, both with maple fretboards. [speaking Japanese of course]

I would love to see the RGD released in a regular scale version, both 6 and 7 string

The S shape requires probably quite a lot more carving passes than an RG, I’d think the higher price reflects quite clearly that it’s a product that takes more time & work, and definitely more wear on the tools.

Fujigen did a cost analysis of all the time and cost of every function of every model 7? years ago and adjusted pricing to match the results. The S takes far more time on the CNC as every bit of the body is cut. Add to that pricing is also determined by order volume. Low volume runs cost more than high volume runs so they are both working against the S price points making it the most expensive guitar to build of the typical solid body bolt ons.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score

Yes. Give me a 7 string AZ with a rosewood board and crazy neon green metal flake paint like that new talman sig.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree but at some point it starts to reek of Talmans where they tried to hard to make a market where only a niche ever existed. I like the guitar, I like the direction, I just think they're trying too hard to force the model to become mainstream, when that is something that happens organically, not because they put out 7 new colors looking for a combination that generates enough sales. And you are absolutely right, without including a 7 string version, who is running that show?

Now I'm all for options, especially color, but you know how Ibanez works, they're only going to carry a certain number of SKU's and they're devoting [IMO] too many of them to the AZ in relation to the core models that they made their reputation on. You don't even have an S7 right now, the only new RG7 is an RGD, leaving only 2 RG7's available, both with maple fretboards. [speaking Japanese of course]

I would love to see the RGD released in a regular scale version, both 6 and 7 string

Fujigen did a cost analysis of all the time and cost of every function of every model 7? years ago and adjusted pricing to match the results. The S takes far more time on the CNC as every bit of the body is cut. Add to that pricing is also determined by order volume. Low volume runs cost more than high volume runs so they are both working against the S price points making it the most expensive guitar to build of the typical solid body bolt ons.

The AZ is what the Talmans should have been, and even then it's missing that little 5% of effort that would all but promise them a home run.

I feel the last few "big things" they've gone for have been misses, and just from them being set in their way.

It's not all their fault, you can't predict the industry as easily anymore, it's just frustrating sometimes, and that's from the sidelines. I can only imagine your thoughts.

Hey, hope the hand is feeling better.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I feel the last few "big things" they've gone for have been misses,
Like the whole X-series, 12-ish years ago? There is just nothing at all left. Only the Xiphos was good for a while. I got the feeling they were trying to fish the small pond where BC Rich was fishing for years.

And the MIJ RGA7? I was kinda disappointed that that got discontinued. I'm a used market guy but I think I saw only one for sale years ago, locally. They are very uncommon.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like the whole X-series, 12-ish years ago? There is just nothing at all left. Only the Xiphos was good for a while. I got the feeling they were trying to fish the small pond where BC Rich was fishing for years.

And the MIJ RGA7? I was kinda disappointed that that got discontinued. I'm a used market guy but I think I saw only one for sale years ago, locally. They are very uncommon.

Nah, those were all small fish/single models. I meant huge product shifts, like completely reinventing/relaunching the Talman as pseudo-Strats and Teles.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Ibanez needs to start listening to the guy they never listen to. You know, that one guy at work that nobody listens to but actually knows what he's talking about. You know he's out there talking about making that Rga blank ebony fretboard with lo pro 25.5 scale 7 string I wish they'd make. He probably want's it to be in all these wild risky colors too, like green, blue, black and red. What a crazy guy. Don't listen to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')