Ibanez NGD...with issues I'd like some help on...

• Thread starter dres_x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dres_x

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Got one of the RG3XXVs from Sweetwater!...but there's a major issue, the neck doesn't seem to be aligned properly...you can see that the dots dont seem to line up with the strings as they usually do...and this has me worried. Everything seems to play fine though...intonation out of the box seems ok...but I'm really worried this might cause issues down the road. They're sold out so I can't exchange it...so I'd like your opinion on whether or not to keep this one.
Other than that...came with a bunch of dents :/ ...very playable but I didn't expect so many QC issues from Ibanez/Sweetwater. Everything looked fine on the pics they had on their site too which is why I'm so disappointed. Gotta say this baby looks and sounds pretty awesome though.

Hoping you guys can help me reach a verdict if this should be returned immediately or kept...
Thanks in advance!

The guitar...so pretty...

Neck alignment issue...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smfcbow

Reaction score
Ibbys do this, If you want take the neck off or make it a little loose. then just pull it where you want it and see if it works.

dres_x

Reaction score
HNGD!!! I don't really see the problem with inlays though everything looks lined correctly to me, maybe I just don't have a good eye for this kind of stuff.

Thanks!
Well the issue is that the neck isn't on straight it seems...I measured the distance of the inlays from the sides and the inlays themselves seem to be in the center that means the neck isn't on straight...
I don't really know how this will affect playing in the future though because things seem to play ok (haven't spent too much time on it yet though...)

dres_x

Reaction score
Check the distance between the D and G strings and the center inlays

Yeah...this pic was taken straight on and usually the dots should be right in the center between the strings...in my case they're uneven and slanted towards one side...

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
Thought you may be interested in my story; When i got my Ibanez rg550xh, it came very badly wrapped with HUGE dents in it and was HORRIBLY wrapped. Fortunately the music store i got it from was the "middleman" so to speak so it was on them, not me :lol:

It was claimed as damaged and i got another one sent to the store a week later. That one was spectacular and i still have it and love playing it.

Later when i was going through the case candy (Didn't look through it until i got home a few hours later) i found that it came from...SWEETWATER. :noplease:

I would definitely return it though, i mean it may be nice, but nonetheless it's damaged and you didn't pay for a damaged guitar. 'nuff said. :agreed:

dres_x

Reaction score
Loosening the screws and moving the neck didn't work
icon_sad.gif

The dents don't bother me that much, it's more that I'm worried that having a misaligned neck might cause me trouble in the future...

Thought you may be interested in my story; When i got my Ibanez rg550xh, it came very badly wrapped with HUGE dents in it and was HORRIBLY wrapped. Fortunately the music store i got it from was the "middleman" so to speak so it was on them, not me :lol:

It was claimed as damaged and i got another one sent to the store a week later. That one was spectacular and i still have it and love playing it.

Later when i was going through the case candy (Didn't look through it until i got home a few hours later) i found that it came from...SWEETWATER. :noplease:

I would definitely return it though, i mean it may be nice, but nonetheless it's damaged and you didn't pay for a damaged guitar. 'nuff said. :agreed:

Yeah this was my first time ordering from sweetwater...probably my last too... :/

Matthew

Reaction score
I can vouch for Sweetwater. You should contact them and set up a replacement/refund. You might have to wait for a replacement since these things flew with black friday, but they'll take care of you. Even if you can't get a replacement, a refund is better than a potentially ruined guitar.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Your neck alignment looks fine to me. You don't judge alignment by the dots. You judge alignment by having equal space on the board outside of both E strings. Yours looks pretty darn close. Nothing a slight adjustment couldn't easily fix. The dents would bother me far more.

DrGand

Banned
Reaction score
Your 20-24 frets on the low E actually look like they've been worn down a tad bit... Unless it's just a trick of the light.

I'd be more worried about the dings. Send it back and get a refund or wait for another to come in stock. You paid for a new instrument.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
I'd return that thing ASAP. Sweetwater will make it right. After reading a few of the posts about these, I am not surprised as to why they were blowing out this particular model. I also played two of the in stores prior to this sale and they both had various quality issues. Just my 2 cents, but you deserve to get a decent guitar for your hard earned cash.

Riverrunsred

Reaction score
I would send it back, for all of the hype I hear about them I would want to be totally satisfied.

mister V

Low frequencies obsession syndrome
Reaction score
I have the same thing with my RG3XVV and I noticed it only after reading this thread... damn.

Well, I don't really care about this issue as it doesn't bother me during the playing. I love the look of this RG, love the sound and how comfortable it is for me to play it, and these were the reasons why I bought it. And a 35% price drop, of course :) .

Mine have another issue - poor shaping of electronics cavity's cover and floyd cavity's cover. They don't fit their recesses properly. But this problem is solvable with some gentle rasping.

Debris

\m/ Shred-aholic \m/
Reaction score
Hey man, figured I would chime in here too...this has to be a factory flaw with the placing of the fret markers, but I believe that's all it is, cosmetic (and barely noticeable). I check mine out today, I got it Saturday. I have since put on new strings like I always do. I have the same slightly offset markers on a few frets like yours, but it intonates and plays like a damn wet dream. The string spacing and alignment are perfect, so there's no f'in way I'd send back a guitar for something as minor as that. Again, if its on more than just yours, there is nothing Sweetwater can really do except refund your money...since its a factory flaw.... Just my two cents.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Its probably the dots that are a touch off. If it plays well and intonates like it should I wouldn't give it a thought. My strat and RG both have the same look at this guitar.

dres_x

Reaction score
Measured the dots and they seem to be mostly ok. It seemed to play and intonate ok though but I haven't gone through any extensive testing. Emailed sweetwater and waiting to see what they say.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I have to be honest. The neck issue doesnt bother me but the dents and dings do. I have a theory about sweetwater but its pure speculation. I ordered three different model guitars from sweetwater this year. Mind you 3 models yet 6 actual guitars. All of them had pics of the actual guitar on the site. My theory is they have one or two guys inspecting and setting up the lower end guitars and they are being careless. They missed a lot of finish flaws from the factory and the guitars were scratched in many areas. Not bad scratches. More like scratches caused by removing finger prints with a rag that accidentally had a solder drip on it. Either way NON of those guitars should have made it past QC. If I were you I would ask for money off. The ONLY reason I will still shop there is because I really like my salesmen and they ALWAYS make good on a bad deal. They have never given me grief with any of my complaints. They even let me keep the damaged guitars until my replacements arrived as long as it was the same model. And when I switched models once they shipped the moment I provided tracking for the guitar I was returning. Most companies dont work with you like that. If Dustin ISNT your salesman, I highly recommend making the switch. He is good people.

Latest posts

')