Ibanez Pentatone PTEQ

• Thread starter sonoftheoldnorth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I bought an MXR 10-band in the interim for a stupid price so I don't really NEED this EQ, but everyone talks about how great parametrics are, and the price of all the other ones are silly. Still not sure if I'll keep both, but I figured having one in front and one in the loop could be interesting. Still not sure which will go where, though. I haven't used an EQ on my board since I was a pretty new player and had no idea what to do with it. I'm sure I just did a V and scooped the mids and chugged.
Haha yeah, I was the same when I got my MXR in 2008/9 or so. I had no clue what I was doing. Eventually it did help me get more out of a Randall RG200D I owned back then by putting it in the loop. I don't use it anymore nowadays cause it's turned quite noisy and my living room is bright enough as it is. I have the old black version with the nuclear red LEDs.

Having a parametric is cool because it gives you finer control over where and how you want to tweak your frequencies. However, the 10 bands in the MXR is seriously a ton of frequencies, so it's not like you're missing out on having a J.Custom when all you've ever played is a Gio. I didn't really need this EQ either, I just got it cause I wasn't using my MXR, it looked cool, offered me tons of control over the frequency spectrum, was affordable, and I wanted some more real knobs to tweak irl since I only play through plugins these days. Try it, and if you like it enough, maybe you'll decide to turn a small profit on that MXR you've got 😜

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Haha yeah, I was the same when I got my MXR in 2008/9 or so. I had no clue what I was doing. Eventually it did help me get more out of a Randall RG200D I owned back then by putting it in the loop. I don't use it anymore nowadays cause it's turned quite noisy and my living room is bright enough as it is. I have the old black version with the nuclear red LEDs.

Having a parametric is cool because it gives you finer control over where and how you want to tweak your frequencies. However, the 10 bands in the MXR is seriously a ton of frequencies, so it's not like you're missing out on having a J.Custom when all you've ever played is a Gio. I didn't really need this EQ either, I just got it cause I wasn't using my MXR, it looked cool, offered me tons of control over the frequency spectrum, was affordable, and I wanted some more real knobs to tweak irl since I only play through plugins these days. Try it, and if you like it enough, maybe you'll decide to turn a small profit on that MXR you've got 😜
Yeah that was my idea with the parametric. I could dial in more exact tweaks and not have to feel like I needed to use all the other sliders on the 10-band. For some reason, I feel like the parametric makes more sense in the loop, while the 10-band would be more interesting in the front, but I literally have no basis on that other than I feel like less fancy pedals should go in front of an amp LOL.

I'm sure I won't need both, either way, but I haven't ever been much of a pedal user so, experimenting with them now has been fun. I've run through a TON of pedals in the past few months, but it's been helpful to actually hear what each one does, rather than just read about them. I found, for one, that I don't really care for Klon-style overdrives, even though they sound awesome in recordings. I spent years chasing the best delay pedal and completely dismissed reverb as an effect... Then I finally got a good reverb and it changed my mind completely - it was a verb I was searching for the whole time, but didn't know it! I've always hated chorus and vibrato, then I got a Strymon Ola that blew my mind on how subtle yet awesome they can be. I'm finally in the endgame of narrowing down those pedal choices so I'm excited to shootout some EQs next!