Ibanez - Possible new 8 String Xiphos

• Thread starter Ntbillie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
yeah but all in all the 7 string xiphos modle is a bad ass guitar for the flashy david bowie space age metal player. i love the chamelion finish also.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interesting. Last time I asked Dino about it, he said no sig was in the works. Maybe he was lying. :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
An 8 string Xiphos would be cool and interesting. Though I'd imagine it'd be a tad unwieldy for my short girlish figure. :lol:

I'm down with it.

Themadcow

Reaction score
I seriously doubt an 8 string Xiphos. Mad shaped guitars and 8 strings are both pretty niche instruments, I just don't see it selling well enough. That, and the other xiphos models had neck dive issues so I doubt a 8 string would be any better.

I am in the planning stages of building an 8 string Xiphos. I actually have never picked one up, I just think they look awesome. You say neck dive is a big issue? I may have to take that into account.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Did a quick mockup of a 27" scale Xiphos. I increased the size equally by a 1/4" in each direction, not a lot of real estate left for the bridge, and I'm not to sure about how comfortable it would be.
IMG_1800.JPG

This will be my next build for sure, got some wood lying around that would be perfect for a neck through.

ixlramp

Reaction score
It would be good to see a modern ergonomic x shape ... a Xiphos type shape with a long top horn for balance, it would be a true x shape too, not a Yiphos :D

Danxile

Reaction score
YESSSSSS! i had to sell my 6 string xiphos to get an 8 string and have always wanted an 8 string version. SUPER EXCITED for this.

Seventary

Norwegian metalhead
Reaction score
8 string XXXiphos ??? Hell yeah !! I'm pretty sure Ibanez knows about the neckdive issue and will have that sorted out.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Hope they make it a ''Premium'' range guitar then, to fill the quality gap between the RGA 8 and 2228.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Maybe they should make a lefty RGA8.... Oh wait that's totally out of the question :lol:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Can I just ask, wheres the actual source that says a Xiphos 8 is getting made?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not going to happen, anytime soon at least.

Nice rumor though. :lol:

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm wondering if an 8-string Xiphos was a big reason behind DiMarzio designing an 8-string D-Activator...

Good call. :yesway:

That is a very good thought...but also they've known that their customers have been demanding them for a while as well and to compete with EMG. But the more I think about the more it makes sense.

:yesway:

Yes, one would think that Ibanez out of anybody would do an 8-string with these new DA-8's, or maybe by slim chance that they re-do the RGA-8 or the RG2228 with these new DA-8's as an optional model like they do with the RG1527 now... Just a thought, and keeping fingers crossed for this if it does happen... And since both the 6 & 7-string versions have the DA's from the factory, the 8-string would definitely follow suit. Would be nice to see someone make a guitar with these new pickups from the facto...

You do realize what company you're talking about, right? :lol:

About Ibanez itself and their junk pickups, so true!!!:lol::lol::lol:

ill shit a colonial brick house if they come out with one

Your not the only one!!! :lol::agreed:

Did a quick mockup of a 27" scale Xiphos. I increased the size equally by a 1/4" in each direction, not a lot of real estate left for the bridge, and I'm not to sure about how comfortable it would be.
IMG_1800.JPG

This will be my next build for sure, got some wood lying around that would be perfect for a neck through.

WOW!!! :agreed::eek: Now just a few quick questions regarding this project... As for the bridge, I'm guessing you'd use the Hipshot 8-string brdige??? It'd be ideal to keep it a fixed bridge like it's counterparts for increased tone and sustain... And as a second thought, trying to fit a tremolo system in there will eat up a LOT more room than the Hipshot would... In looking at the pic, the Hipshot would fit nicely, and still leave you plenty of room for everything else.

As for the issue of comfort, I'd say don't make it super-thick and it shouldn't be to bad. Even with a flat body top or with the beveled edges like the actual Xiphos, it'd still be a really sick piece once it's done...

I'd like to see how this project turns out for sure, as well as what Ibanez has planned for the above mentioned Xiphis 8... There needs to be something that breaks up the RGA 8 & RG2228...

Latest posts

')