Ibanez premium (indonesian) vs PRS SE (korean)

• Thread starter 27InchScale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez Premium (Indonesia made) vs PRS se (Korean made)

• Total voters

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
So I am curious what everyones opinions are in this regard. Fit, finish, quality, price point, and value ect. I know someone will ask for an example so ibanez UV70P vs the PRS se seven string to be specific. Which is the overall better purchase and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The UV seemed to be hit-or-miss, especially for the price point, but I've seen quite a few people pleased with their SE7's. With a pickup change, the SE7 seems like the better bet.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I own several PRS se 7s and have zero complaints. Im considering buying the new white premium universe and was curious what others thought about the old uv70p versus the SE line, considering the PRS is half the price of the ibby premium.lol

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
I own 2 Premiums, a Tremonti SE and tried an SE7 at a guitar store. Fretwork, overall quality and (imho) playability seems to be better on the Premiums.

SE's are good guitars though.

PS: Personally I don't think the Premium UV is a good deal. Unless you really want a floating trem (and something that screams 'I AM A VAI FAN!111') I think you're better off with an RG927. The fixed bridge version comes with the tight end R bridge that feels totally awesome. The PU's are quite good and even if you don't like them you can change them to whatever PU's you want and still pay less than the price of a Premium UV.

Tzar27

Reaction score
I love my PRS SE Custom 24 and would snatch up a 7 string version in a heartbeat if I could afford a new axe right now, but I can't deny that the Ibby Premiums are built pretty damn well. They might not be Prestige-level quality but I've really dug the ones I've played - super-comfy necks, good hardware, and particularly in the cases of an S970 and RG920 that I played, absolutely gorgeous tops. That said, the UVs are way overpriced. It's too bad they have to be attached to Vai, I love the looks of the UV series but I've always been reluctant to pick one up for fear of looking like a fanboy :lol:

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
UV is essentially just an Ibanez line at this point. That's what Korn used until they got their own signature models.

katsusand

Touhou lover
Reaction score
I bought Agile(same factory as PRS SE) and felt good.
But, stock Korean pickups... suck. Need to replace.
Indonesian Ibanezs are also good, but I don't like tremolos, basswoods and too thin neck.

Cbutler

Reaction score
not only agile, but made in same location as schecter, correct?

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Neither.

For the $1500 price tag of the UV, just go get a Prestige instead. That just seems way too much to spend on a Premium to me. Especially when it seems pretty hit or miss quality wise with them.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Having owned both a RG921 and a RG920, as well as currently owning an SE Cu24, I wouldn't go for it, especially for one of the more expensive Vai Premiums. Even for the price point that the "normal" Premiums retail at (950-1100) compared to the PRS (750), they go used for about the same price, 400-600, as the Premiums don't hold value for shit. To spend upwards of 1k on one is kind of ridiculous. The fit and finish on my PRS were way better than on either of my Premiums (damn near flawless) and it just plays better - they're really not worth their value and basically, after owning 5 different Ibanezes, turned me off to anything but MiJ/MiK from the brand. I'd go for a used MIK or Prestige ibby if you have your heart set on those specs.

Edit: Not saying the Premiums are bad, just saying they don't hold their value in relation to what they cost, which seems rather ridiculous compared to the MiK guitars coming out of World Music that are at the same price point and have much better QC, etc, at least the RG's.

Vrollin

Reaction score
As with everything there is going to be lemons in either brand, also it is a hard comparison because they are very different guitars. All I can say is do not write off the SE line, I had for so many years, they looked cheap and nasty and I wouldnt even pick one up or give it the time. Then they made some changes, and wow, just wow, by far best bang for buck, make a few choice upgrades and you have a real solid piece of kit!
I was an Ibby fan boy through and through, and while I still love Ibanez, they are far from the first brand I look at now when shopping for a guitar...

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
PRS :) I love mine. I was surprised to learn it was MIK, certainly did not feel like it to me.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Ive owned both brands, and both are very nice. I give the premium the edge due to the fret edge treatment, which even prestiges don't usually get. For some reason i never got along with my SEs though like i have my RG921.

slythy

Reaction score
Theres a couple new PRS 7 strings on ebay (blue only) for $500, he said he would take $450 which was hard to beat. I ended up playing one at a guitar center and didn't like it nearly as much as the schecter demon 7.

PRS makes a hell of a nice guitar, but i just didnt find the SE 7 string one the best in the price range.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Yes.World musical instruments making
  • ESP LTDs
  • Schecter Diamond Series
  • Agile
  • Chapman guitars
  • Strandberg Boden OS
  • PRS SE
  • DEAN

Throw in the nicer BC Richs and I believe some Washburns. Those guys do a ridiculous percentage of the worlds guitars.

')