Ibanez Prestige RG652FX vs Genesis RG521

• Thread starter Protestheriphery
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Protestheriphery

Reaction score
So, the Ibanez RG652FX has been on my long time GAS list . Recently I discovered a few listings on Ebay/Reverb, and made some offers…no luck. Currently, the asking prices are beyond what would be considered “bang for the buck.”

Then I stumbled upon the Genesis RG521. Theres a few of those listed, closer to what I can spend. To my understanding, the Genesis line is a throwback tribute to the (vintage?) models from the 80’s. The only downside I see between these and a more current Prestige is the stock V pickups and blocky neck joint.

Got a few questions for those who are savvy about the two different models:

-If the Genesis are MIJ, are they almost Prestige-tier?

-Are the Genesis necks as thin, or thinner than the Prestiges?

-Do the Genesis models include hard cases?

Aside from the lack of name brand pickups, I can only imagine the only other difference is that the Genesis probably doesn’t get the infamous fret work that people seem to rave about.

Any other noteworthy differences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
The biggest difference (and a bit of a deal breaker, imo) is that Genesis have the old Tilt Joint neck, while normal Prestiges have the All Access Neck Joint which is just way better (in fact, they've switched to this neck joint since early 90s). It's probably a cost cutting measure, but I'm not sure tbh, both are CNCd anyways.

Do the Genesis models include hard cases?

Afaik, no.

Protestheriphery

Reaction score
I'm not too stoked about the throwback neck joint either, I also prefer the regular sculpted one. Whenever I pick up my strat or tele, (I figure its a similar construction as the Genesis) it gets a little awkward going up high on the neck.

Just weighing my options, in the event Im unsuccesful in snagging a Prestige. I halfway tossed around the idea of just settling for a Premium. I prefer the thinner necks on the Prestiges though.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
I own a 652FX. Picked it over a Genesis because it was a much better deal. Also I hate floyds, the 652 is a fixed bridge. Note that I did have to get a fret job done on the 652 (but I suspect you might have to on the Genesis too). Aside from that the guitar is fantastic, plays like a dream , is easy on my back, and sounds great.

EDIT: Just realized the Genesis is a 521, so also fixed bridge. Ignore that part I'm a dummie

Edit 2: I'd say stick with Prestige. Premium are...uhh....hit or miss.

Baconjerky

Reaction score
I literally just went through this same dilemma last week. Put offers in on a stock galaxy black 652 on eBay and a black 521 with fishmans on reverb. Both with cases. The 521 guy accepted so I ended up with that.

The 521 neck feels thicker than the original 570 I used to own but it’s still thinner than everything else I have. Fret ends are great but they aren’t balled like on prestige guitars. Everything else feels prestige like though. The heel doesn’t make a difference to me and I don’t have troubles reaching the higher frets on both.

I think you’re good with either. The genesis line doesn’t come with cases so side by side I’d look to pay less for the 521. Just go with the better deal

bzhang9

Reaction score
neck is similar, quality is similar, I'd pay 200 on top for the dimarzios, AANJ, prestige case for the 652, short of that is pretty much the same thing

you should not need fret work done for either

aesthyrian

Reaction score
The biggest difference (and a bit of a deal breaker, imo) is that Genesis have the old Tilt Joint neck, while normal Prestiges have the All Access Neck Joint which is just way better (in fact, they've switched to this neck joint since early 90s).

Hey! Us old guys(or maybe just me..) would argue that point, but nostalgia certainly plays a large part in that. FWIW, I find the 24 fret access on a 6 string tilt joint comparable to a 7 string AANJ. So, not impossible to play by any means.

Also, I doubt it's a cost cutting measure, since the point of the genesis line is to try and reproduce their iconic models as close as possible, in a nostalgic sorta of sense. The only real differences from the 80's/90's models are the necks and the top mounted nut.

')