Ibanez Quest Q52PB pickup replacement and wiring

• Thread starter kriff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for digging into this, i also came to most of the same conclusions.

I did trace the caps/resistors on the stock Quest selector and it looks like one pair each run right off one coil of each pickup. I'm thinking the stock pickups may be asymmetrical wound and/or its for the powertap to make it sound like a true single rather than a half of a humbucker. Either way, they appear to actually be sound altering.

Yeah, makes sense. I already ordered the 3SWLSC.

I haven't taken the guitar to band practice yet, but have been using it for daily practice and I like it, so far. I actually had bought a used Strandberg and was more or less not super impressed, so I put it right back on Reverb and bought this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kylenorbut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am looking to swap my pickups with dimarzio d activators and a 3 way switch… should this do the trick… I bought a CRL 3 way with the circleish design and it was far to large… so should this match the size of what’s currently installed? Just looking to do simple volume/tone, 3 way switch. No coil split or anything like that … any other switches that people may recommend? Biggest thing is for it to fit.
IMG_4707.jpeg

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
I am looking to swap my pickups with dimarzio d activators and a 3 way switch… should this do the trick… I bought a CRL 3 way with the circleish design and it was far to large… so should this match the size of what’s currently installed? Just looking to do simple volume/tone, 3 way switch. No coil split or anything like that … any other switches that people may recommend? Biggest thing is for it to fit. View attachment 146555
Did you get anywhere with this?

I've now finally got mine prepped to do tomorrow, gutted it today and made a cardboard wiring template to get everything sorted before I actually transfer it into the guitar.

')