Ibanez RG 321MH

• Thread starter nitelightboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, it's not a 7 string, but it's by far my favorite 6. I've had the guitar for a little over a year now, so I have a pretty good idea of how wicked this thing is.

Looks: Absoultely gorgous grain and deep mahogony color make this guitar just stand out from most others. The Cosmo black harware is a nice touch, but I think I would have prefered straight black.

Feel: Typical Ibanez wizard neck, thin flat and fast as all hell. It's surprisingly light for mahogony, but you can still tell it's hanging off your shoulder. The action and intonation were a bit off, typical for an Ibanez straight from the factory, but it was very easy to set up. I had it setup and ready to go in about 30 mins. The tuners were a bit weak and have been upgraded to locking Schaller's. I can't throw it out of tune now. The fixed bridge is a nice change from a locking trem, IMHO.

Sound: Not too bad with the stock pups. I actually kept the stock pups in the guitar until right before Christmas. A bit dark in position 1, 3, and 5. But positions 2 and 4 are parallel wired and have a rather nice tone. Now I have a Tone Zone bridge and Air Norton neck. Sick!!! These bad boys really bring out the monster tone of this mofo. Heavy, chunky, harmonically rich, articulate rythm sound from the bridge and sweet singing sustain, kkind of an amazing lead sound out of the neck. Cleans up beautifully. And then all the positions in between...WOW!!!!

Overall: I would say this is a bad ass 6 string that I highly recommend to pretty much anyone. With this guitar I've done it all. From blues to jazz, metal(all kinds) to classical this thing does it all and feels and looks good doing it. I've been playing for about 12 years and have played God knows how many guitars and this is by far one of my all time favorites.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I can attest. I love my RG321MH. The stock pups weren't the best but I put a X2N in the bridge position and it came alive. It's a tone monster. My stock tuners are actually pretty good, but I might replace them later on.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I played one of these (not even plugged in, I figure, why bother? I'll just replace the pickups anyway) at a store a while back and it's one of the nicest feeling guitars I've ever played. Unfortunately, I didn't have the cash at the time, and now it's gone :(

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Pre-2005 they were made in Korea. 2005 on they're made in Indonesia. Any reports on how much worse (if any) the Indonesian ones are?

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
giannifive said:
Pre-2005 they were made in Korea. 2005 on they're made in Indonesia. Any reports on how much worse (if any) the Indonesian ones are?
If it's anything like the quality on the RG7321, I'd bet the quality's just fine. I wouldn't mind picking up an RG7321 and an RG321MH (in weathered black :hbang: ), swapping the pickups, and making them my main guitars.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
Feel: Typical Ibanez wizard neck, thin flat and fast as all hell. It's surprisingly light for mahogony, but you can still tell it's hanging off your shoulder

I'm fairly certain (103.4637% certain) that its a Wizard II neck and thus generally a bit thicker.

HOWEVER, this guitar does rule.. I prefer the model with the RB finish however,just cosmetically. Very badass guitar.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
I'm fairly certain (103.4637% certain) that its a Wizard II neck and thus generally a bit thicker

Yeah, you're right, but it's still thinner than most of thenecks I've played, excluding other Ibanez's of course

SGB

Reaction score
My main guitar is the RG421 which was the predecessor of the 321. It has a Basswood body and was MIJ. I love it! I replaced the stock pu's with a Steve's Special(bridge) and a Air Norton(neck) and it sounds great! I also replaced the tuner with Planet Waves Auto-trims. I:bowdown:

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gasing BAD for one of these (the natural one) but I can't afford to have yet another 6 strings, I've far too many of them :/

Craig

Reaction score
I love my RG321 MH, mahogany oil finish. I've had mine for 3 years now, and it's never let me down. Amazing tone... sounds great with a Duncan JB. I'm thinking about getting another one.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
i LOVE my rg321mgh!
mine:
seymour duncan 59 in the neck
bill lawrence l500xl in the bridge
dimarizo 3 way switch
dimazio 500k volume and tone pots (the volume pot is hidden in the cavity, i replaced it with a killswitch)
and switchcraft jack.
soon to add locking tuners.
but seriously i love this guitar, it plays so well, and the sound is HUGE!
and they are indeed dirt cheap for the price!
imo 8/10

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the D shaped neck, but it sounds awesome and otherwise plays great too. I love mine, highly recommended, especially for the price.

Frozensoul86

Sirpenth Deathtrash
Reaction score
My rg321mh is upgraded with Seymour Duncan Invader in bridge position and Seymour Duncan Full Shred in Neck position. Screams like hell! Pure metalblade. One of the best guitars i've played. Tuners are the weakest part of this guitar.