Ibanez RG 721 RW premium guitar air bubbles

Nikki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Ibanez RG 721 RW premium guitar has started developing some air bubbles on the body of the guitar. Could you please tell me if they are going to get worse or if there is any way to fix them?
Please check the attached image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is no warranty on the guitar anymore as I purchased it long back from someone. Serial key as in the image.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no warranty on the guitar anymore as I purchased it long back from someone. Serial key as in the image.

Shoot Ibanez an email, no promises, but historically they've been generally helpful in circumstances like this.

Your options are pretty much "deal with it and hope it doesn't get too much worse", or try to sell it to someone looking for a project or part-out.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
Oof, never seen that on a guitar. Did it get wet or does it stand in a moist environment or next to a heater? That is actually not normal like at all

Nikki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no clue how the earlier guy managed the guitar. I got a sweet deal on this one so picked it up immediately. Didn’t notice the bump at that time. I guess there was one small one that I ignored initially and now after a few months 2 more have surfaced and they are quite big.

Any way to fix those? Like popping them off and sanding them down and fixing them before they get worse?

I will also try and mail Ibanez support and see what they have to say about it.

if I leave them like that will it affect the guitar in the long run? I thought I finally found the guitar of my desired specs after a long time and then this hits.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no clue how the earlier guy managed the guitar. I got a sweet deal on this one so picked it up immediately. Didn’t notice the bump at that time. I guess there was one small one that I ignored initially and now after a few months 2 more have surfaced and they are quite big.

Any way to fix those? Like popping them off and sanding them down and fixing them before they get worse?

I will also try and mail Ibanez support and see what they have to say about it.

if I leave them like that will it affect the guitar in the long run? I thought I finally found the guitar of my desired specs after a long time and then this hits.

The veneer is an almost paper thin "sheet" glued to the body of the guitar.

The "bubbles" are spots where the veneer has deformed and now pulling up from the body.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
I don't think that it would be feasable to let a luthier fix this. Better just ignore it or try to reason with the pre-owner to take it back

iamaom

Reaction score
The veneer is an almost paper thin "sheet" glued to the body of the guitar.

The "bubbles" are spots where the veneer has deformed and now pulling up from the body.
Could it not be pushed back down like a screen protector on a phone and then re-glued??

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could it not be pushed back down like a screen protector on a phone and then re-glued??

There are ways to fix or replace veneers, it's just going to be cost prohibitive on a guitar like this.

Nikki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
image.jpg
I just checked the guitar through the pickup cavities. Seems like there is a thin sheet of additional layer on top of the original guitar body And that is where the problem is. Seems like it’s some kind of an additional lamination. Coz the wood there seems dry. The place where I place my hand has become extremely shiny and flattened out as opposed to those areas.
The bubbles are not on the original base of the body. Over the next few years it may give a relic look :(

')