Ibanez rg 7321 with blackouts or emg 707 or 81 seven

• Thread starter lowbass5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lowbass5

Reaction score
hello
kinda new here...good forum
i have a question , does the blackout fits well in a rg 7321, does it will sound good with basswood?
or emg707
or 81 seven...
what you guys recomend for this guitar as a pickup upgrade...
i have a Mesa TR, i play hardcore, metal..and alternative stuff
thanks
Adrian

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcome:

I personally love the EMG 707 but feel that routing out a guitar is kinda m00t should you decide to go back to passives. That said the blackouts sound good with basswood and you will have to route out the depth of the pickup routes. They are too shallow and the pickups are too tall.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

I personally love the EMG 707 but feel that routing out a guitar is kinda m00t should you decide to go back to passives. That said the blackouts sound good with basswood and you will have to route out the depth of the pickup routes. They are too shallow and the pickups are too tall.

I actually found that by simply grinding out a bit of the corner for the cable to fit through without raising the height of the pickup, you dont have to route for depth. and that was in the S

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
So how low do the Blackouts sit if you bolt them to the bottom of the pickup cavity? I'm thinking on them, but I don't have the tools or desire to do any major routing work.

Reaction score
So how low do the Blackouts sit if you bolt them to the bottom of the pickup cavity? I'm thinking on them, but I don't have the tools or desire to do any major routing work.

I agree... i want them really badly but if routing is necessary then i dont i will go with them cause i have a 7321 also... and im an active pickup guy so it would suck if routing is needed... i have heard many people say routing isnt needed even on an S series and i even saw vids of people playing with them in a 7321, but then i got others telling me i do need routing..:spock: WTF. does it need routing or not? :scratch:

Xherion

Reaction score
Routing isn't necessary on a newer S series for sure (I installed Blackouts on my S7320 a few weeks ago on an '08). The Blackouts were maybe about 3/8" deeper than the stock Ibanez pickups. The Blackouts still required some foam underneath to raise it, so I'd imagine the 7321 isn't much different.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I had my RG 7421 routed for Blackouts, and I couldn't be happier with the tone.
Infinitely clearer and more articulate than the stock pickups

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
Routing isn't necessary on a newer S series for sure (I installed Blackouts on my S7320 a few weeks ago on an '08). The Blackouts were maybe about 3/8" deeper than the stock Ibanez pickups. The Blackouts still required some foam underneath to raise it, so I'd imagine the 7321 isn't much different.

I second that. got blackouts in s7320 :shred:and needed foam. if i was you i'd probably go for the blackouts.

')