Ibanez RG Premium: Are they as good as they look?

RiffRaff

Reaction score
I got to play one of these yesterday in the Violet Finish and it was a pretty nice guitar.
The neck seemed a touch thicker than the original wizard (I'm going from memory when I had a 7620 from ages ago) but it was really, really flat on the back which I really liked.
The bridge pickup was just okay but I quite liked the neck pickup tone.
Very smooth and nice and it's good to see Ibanez not have such Junky pickups that they usually have.
Although, it may have been the Engl Screamer Head I was playing it through. That was a rockin' little amp! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

E9977

Reaction score
I've played a few of these at this point, and own an RG927qm (with CL/LF pickups). I also own a cheaper Prestige RG1451. Stock pickups aside, I have basically one complaint about this guitar: I'd prefer a 430mm radius fretboard. It sounds so minor, but the 400mm radius on the RG927qm compared to the 430mm radius on the RG1451 makes a bit of a difference. I'm not a fan of tremolos, but the Edge Zero II is quite something. It's extremely easy to adjust and maintain, and does stay in tune very well. I rarely use it, but when I do, I know I can count on it. Though, if Ibanez ever releases a Premium or Prestige 7 string with a Tight End bridge (which is what my RG1451 has), I'll be all over it.

Build quality and materials are excellent. Can't fault it there at all. The Premiums I've played in stores... the RG820qm, the black finish 6 strings, etc., all played really nicely.

I was originally going to get an RG1527m, but ended up waiting too long, and they ended up being discontinued. My friend bought one when they were still available, so I've had a chance to play it and compare the two fairly thoroughly. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing it has going for it over Premium is the fretboard radius. Build quality and materials are pretty much identical. Fretwork is identical. The stock pickups in the Premium are actually better... though still worth changing out.

So, my opinion of the Premiums: Totally worth it. Comparable with the lower-end Prestiges, I think.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I have 3:

920QM: I'ma sell this. It's fine and all, but It's just not really doing for me. I don't like the fretwork as well as other guitars (I have 3 prestige and one other premium). I'll sell it at a good price :D I'm NOT a fan of the edge zero, even though it's not bad, it's just not my deal. (I like my edge pros on my prestige's better) Really a beautiful guitar though, the QM top is GORGEOUS! Mine is the red, pictures do NOT do it justice!

1405SRbass: Love. REALLY sounds fracking great. Those 3rd party pups are really nice. BUT, it's need some chrisharbin love. I got a fretedge file to fine tune some of the frets that were sticking out a bit (which I personally believe is from in being so dry in my house, I would have paid what I did for it if I had noticed that straight off) and it had some loose soldering in the preamp. Nothing major. Very nicely made for the most part. I like it!

RG721: This is a strange guitar. First, the frets are really well done OTHER than the standard some frets are too long/need to be filed which is obviously a premium issue. Again though, it's BONE DRY in my house, so....maybe that is it. Anyways, the pups were not right and it was a BITCH getting the new pups in. But, it's a good 600 buck guitar and with the gravity storms, it goes LOW :D

A couple of other points. Frack me, but the hardware discolors SO QUICKLY on the premiums! Even my TEB on the 721 is discoloring where the screws are. The 920 6 string is vitually worn completely. Guys, I don't play enough or hard enough for this :wallbash:

The necks ARE bigger and more "C" shaped than the prestige, but they are also narrower. Just so you know.

Imalwayscold

Is actually warm
Reaction score
I've recently picked up the 7 model with the 'red quilt'. It's a pretty solid axe for the money, it certainly seems as robust as my 7620 and friends 1570. The neck seems a tad thicker than the 7620, but its not necessarily a bad thing.
Mine had a few finish flaws, nothing serious though! The pickups are nothing spectacular but there seems to be no reason to change them any time soon.
I'm quite impressed with it to be honest, I've even been grabbing it over the 7620 to play live these days!

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
It seems I have a bit of thinking to do.. really gassing for a 920QM in purple

As I've said before, photos DO NOT do the guitar's justice. I don't care if it's the the one you are thinking of, my red one, the blue one mentioned on the forums recently. Up close and personal, they are gorgeous! So yeah, if that's the color that does it for you, you'll prolly like it more in person than photos!

otisct20

Reaction score
I love the 6 string premiums to death and wish I had enough money to get one, but I have yet to play the seven string version.

Latest posts

')