Ibanez RG Premium: Are they as good as they look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A few folks that played them at NAMM seemed to give them high praise, and Rich Harris seems to think they're pretty awesome.

That said, I've yet to play one. It looks like they haven't hit too many shops yet, at least any shop between Chicago and Milwaukee I've been to in the last couple months.

FretWizard88

Reaction score
I know musicians friend just got a bunch in, I would love for one of the shops in Green Bay or Appleton to get one in just so I can play it. I have always wanted an Ibanez with a flamed maple top, and these look amazing.

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Just played one in a local music store. Felt great, but as always, didn't like the stock pickups... But it played like butter, neck felt great, and it did look awesome. The maple top is pure sex, I can guarantee :yesway:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Yes.

A store near me has 3 of them already, and I'd rather have a nice Premium over say the 1570.

I preferred the look and necks to some of the high end japanese stuff, and they're at a really nice price point.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
WTB Highlighter colored RG Premium.

FretWizard88

Reaction score
This will be my next guitar for sure. Hopefully I can sell my Taylor this summer to get some extra cash. You will be seeing a NGD in the future from me, and it will be one of these in Liquid Inferno. I will probably put some better pickups in it like I do all of my guitars.

snowblind56

Reaction score
I know musicians friend just got a bunch in, I would love for one of the shops in Green Bay or Appleton to get one in just so I can play it. I have always wanted an Ibanez with a flamed maple top, and these look amazing.

I doubt any of the shops in Green Bay or Appleton will ever see them. Guitar Center maybe, but none of the others. None of the shops in the area stock much Ibanez. Henri's Music used to, but only cheap ones for the most part, and it doesn't matter because the shut down.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I have tried, the whole series of the premiums (they had all of them at my local store). They are definitely high quality guitars. I would say they are definitely on the prestige level. I personally love the dimarzio/ibanez pickups, but that is just me. You can bet that when they make a 7 string version premium i will buy one or two of them.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I read the same. Doesn't bother me, as it isn't an indication of quality or cost merely because many cheaper guitars happen to have veneers.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Im not sure if the top is veneer or an actual maple top. The ibanez website says it is a top, and from the pictures it looks that way, unless the bindings look like wood.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im not sure if the top is veneer or an actual maple top. The ibanez website says it is a top, and from the pictures it looks that way, unless the bindings look like wood.

It's been pretty much confirmed (via Rich Harris) that the "tops" on the Premiums is just a thin veneer.

If you want a real maple topped RG, you gotta spend the bucks to get an RG4xxx or a JCRG.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I want one of these so bad, but I haven't really seen much on them save a few videos and such. I'm not sure if any of my local shops have any in stock, because I haven't been to any of them in a while.

If they do, then I need to play one! :scream:

Latest posts

')