Ibanez RG1077XL x2 - RG2154XL? (ISDN=Sure..)

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
The Evo is always a good choice in a basswood Ibanez. I've had one before, in an RG7421XL and it was kickass. I always had one in an RG2027 - equally as good. It packs a lot of punch, lots of harmonic overtones, clarity, output... really cool mids, its bright but not harsh. I like it a lot.

Good info. Ima give it a shot then. I wanted to stick an Evo7 in something to try so Ill give it a shot in the 1077 based on your thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's fecking cool, 2 1077s. Nice score.

I had an Evo7 in my 1077, but I found it to be too bright when tied with the extra-clarity from the 27" scale. I changed it to Blaze Custom, and found a slight improvement but even that's a little too bright for me. My old Tone Zone 7 sitting beside me is actually starting to catch my interest... :ugh:

Well you play through a Marshall, so that's understandable. The VHT can be bright too, but the character of the amp is very growly and thick, in other words a somewhat 'dark' amp (though it has all the clarity/brightness in the universe if you want it too). So, brighter setups excel with it. With a Marshall, I'd maybe try a Duncan with your setup. The JB, Custom or Invader all could fit the bill if you're looking for something fatter sounding (avoid the Distortion model). All of the good DiMarzios I know of are pretty bright. The Tone Zone 7 is an abomination, it's nothing like the TZ6 - avoid it. Try the D Activator or the D Sonic or even the Blaze Neck (in the bridge) if the Evo/Blaze Custom aren't your thing.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Update: I ordered a DiMarzio D Activator 7 to put in the bridge of the 1077 that still has stockers. Whichever I like most (Evo vs. DA7) I will keep. The other one I will sell, so if anyones interested there's a heads up :)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice! I've always wanted one of those. I would totally do white pickups on one of them, looks so nice. :agreed:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice! I've always wanted one of those. I would totally do white pickups on one of them, looks so nice. :agreed:

I've considered that, but then I'd have to shell out $60 for the middle pickup which is pretty eh. I'd rather get white bobbin toppers if possible. White would look really cool though yes.

jsebek

Guitar Freak
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of selling my RG1077XL for some time now but haven't quite made the decision fully and it depends on how much I could get out of it since I want to buy a more practical 7-string for myself. I almost asked a guy to trade a 540S7 for it but he sold it before I had a chance. I am about 80% convinced I'll sell it eventually but I need to figure out what I want to get for a 7 to replace it. I might be willing to trade if someone has something I really want. Anyway, just thought I'd randomly throw that out there. I love the tone of the guitar, but honestly I have small hands and don't like the extended scale that much. The tone is really the only thing that is even remotely making me second guess getting rid of it.

Jason
www.myspace.com/jsebek
www.myspace.com/artofbetrayal

Reaction score
Dude how can you afford two of those?! You sell crack or somethin'? Either way I want both of them...and some crack.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
This make me remember a song that says "It was everything bad, but the happines it's back!". Nice duo of guitars, and are those cases that lame?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This make me remember a song that says "It was everything bad, but the happines it's back!". Nice duo of guitars, and are those cases that lame?

They're actually quite nice. The only thing I don't like about them asides from the cheese factor, is they have no compartments to put accessories or tools.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
They're actually quite nice. The only thing I don't like about them asides from the cheese factor, is they have no compartments to put accessories or tools.

Damn, that sucks. One of the things I value in a case is having a compartment to put tools for changing intonation, unlocking the trem, as well as electric cords and tuners. One of my cases has 3 pairs of strings in it, along with 3-4 cables, an electric tuner, and all the tools for all 3 of my guitars (my other cases can't carry nearly that much).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. One of the things I value in a case is having a compartment to put tools for changing intonation, unlocking the trem, as well as electric cords and tuners. One of my cases has 3 pairs of strings in it, along with 3-4 cables, an electric tuner, and all the tools for all 3 of my guitars (my other cases can't carry nearly that much).

Yeah, me too, but I have other cases and gig bags that can do that if I need it. I'm not really worried about it.

On a side note, the New 7 in the neck sounds really awesome. The bridge one is terrible, TERRIBLE, but the neck one is really nice for cleans and smooth leads.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Update: The D Activator 7 came and is about to be installed in my 2nd 1077XL. If anyone wants to buy the guitar let me know, I don't need 2 :)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yeah, me too, but I have other cases and gig bags that can do that if I need it. I'm not really worried about it.

On a side note, the New 7 in the neck sounds really awesome. The bridge one is terrible, TERRIBLE, but the neck one is really nice for cleans and smooth leads.

That's how my RG1527 was. The stock bridge pickup sounded horrible, so I changed it to a Blaze Custom, but the neck actually sounded really good, so I didn't bother changing it to anything. I actually think that neck pickup sounds pretty kickass for smooth leads and for some cleans. In my band, oftentimes I'll write a solo with the neck pickup or even record it with the neck pickup but always play it with the bridge pickup live (I hate switching between pickups in a live setting).

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jesus Christ.

I just want one and you get 2 of them. :mad:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jesus Christ.

I just want one and you get 2 of them. :mad:

Yeah that's how I feel, I was looking for just one of these forever, and I found 2 in one day. I'm almost tempted to keep both, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Hopefully I'm going to get this D Activator installed today.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
If it weren't for the middle pickup getting in the way of my pick while playing, I'd be all over one of those. Very beautiful guitars. Love the blue color.

Reaction score
Everything about those guitars is totally what I want on a 7.
I love the H-S-H pups, body/neck binding, color and discrete fret markers.
I'm so jealous.
Seriously sweet score!!!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well I finally got my RG1077XL with the D Activator 7 back. I gave it the full band rehearsal run through last night through my VHT Pittbull UL. Here are my thoughts on the pickup..

I have to say, this pickup comes as advertised. It really does kind of sound like an active pickup, but not totally. It is SUPER clear and articulate, excellent attack, lots of output and amazing harmonics. It's not as thick sounding as an EMG 707 though.

The main difference in tone between the Evolution 7 in my other RG1077XL and this one, is the midrange character. The Evo has a really pronounced middy growl, just a lot of mids. The D Activator seems to be a lot more balanced. There's not a huge mid peak, it doesn't sound scooped, but just just no one frequency seems to stand out that much in the mid department.

One thing I was pretty surprised about was how awesome the lead tone is with the pickup. Since the low strings are very tight and bright (in a good way), I was expecting the lighter strings to over the top, but it's not really that way. I guess that's because of the seperately tuned coils like DiMarzio boasts.

All in all though, and this is early my opinion may change, I think I like the Evolution better. I just really go for pickups that have a sinister middy growl to it. My favorite thing about it is the harmonics though, that is one thing EMGs do better than anything else, the ease in getting harmonis (not that its hard on any guitar, but you know what I mean). The D Activators really scream.

I give the pickup a 9/10. I could go for it being slightly warmer and a little more middy, but it's still a very articulate and brutal pickup. The VHT really took well to it :)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool review, Nick. I really liked the sound of the evo 7 when I played Bill's swirled UV custom. I want one of those for my S. :agreed:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want one of these 1077xl.. but first I gotta sell my custom rg7

')