Ibanez RG1527 or APEX2

• Thread starter dantesdeception
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dantesdeception

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im looking at getting my first 7 string!

I'm pissed of with downtuning my 6 strings it sucks ass and i want the highs :D

I play mostly djenty stuff but i do move around

I have got my finger on these 2, the RG1527 and the APEX 2.

What do you guys think. I want to take the dry guitar tone into account and innotation i can rely on in tunings Bb ad Ab mainly.

Any owners care to share their knowledge so i can add up the pros and cons kinda thing?

Thanks very much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
APEX2 100%

1527 is basswood, has Ibanez pickups, has a floyd, sounds good, costs a LOT.

APEX2 is mahogany, has DiMarzio pickups, has a hard tail, sounds sick, costs noway near as much.

that one was easy ;) :yesway:

Spondus

Reaction score
APEX2 100%

APEX2 is mahogany, has DiMarzio pickups, has a hard tail, sounds sick, costs noway near as much.

i agree with everything said here, however the korn assosciation is what would put me off completely. that said the finish is awesome :yum:

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
My RG1527 is Basswood and sounds better than my S7320 which is Mahogany. Both of which have DiMarzio pickups.

What I'd do is get the specs down side by side along with the possible prices. Keep in mind that the RG1527 comes with a free hardshell case from the factory.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
No experiance with the Apex2 but I had an RG1527 and it was a very nice guitar. Good sound, nice trem but you will have to upgrade the pickups. :yesway:

s2k9k

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the 1527 is a J.Craft guitar. And the Apex2 is made in indonesia.

Spondus

Reaction score
ive just thought, seeing as the apex 2 and rg7321 are made in the same factory, does that mean the neck carve on each is the same?

dantesdeception

Reaction score
APEX2 100%

yeah man i was concerned about the basswood in the rg i think thats swayed me to the apex

My RG1527 is Basswood and sounds better than my S7320 which is Mahogany. Both of which have DiMarzio pickups.

What I'd do is get the specs down side by side along with the possible prices. Keep in mind that the RG1527 comes with a free hardshell case from the factory.
but then this confused me again! and does a normal ibanez hard case hold 7 string models?

Keep in mind that the 1527 is a J.Craft guitar. And the Apex2 is made in indonesia.

hmm should this worry me i dont really know to much about that

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah man i was concerned about the basswood in the rg i think thats swayed me to the apex

but then this confused me again! and does a normal ibanez hard case hold 7 string models?

hmm should this worry me i dont really know to much about that

1. Basswood is not a bad wood. Mahogany is a very low mid orientated wood while Basswood is very even across all spectra and it really brings out the character of the pickups you use. This transparency is why most of the "shred" guitars and musicians use Basswood. I really like it and my RG1527 has a killer lead tone.

2. A normal Ibanez M100C (or whatever) hard shell case will hold 7 string guitars no problem.

3. J. Craft means that they're made in Japan in the same plant and made by the same people who make their J. Custom guitars. The Indonesian line are significantly lower quality than their higher end Japanese line guitars. That doesn't mean that the APEX2 is a bad guitar. I own 2 Japanese, a Indonesian and a Chinese Ibanez and they all have their place within the ranks...

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
all i can say is, the apex with the dimarzio paf... the clean tone is quality, other than that, with the distorted its a bit muddy. but personally with the choice i'd go for the RG1527, its a better quality guitar although the apex isn't bad, its actually real good! but the J-craft build quality is second to none. (plus it comes with a hardcase). Just check them out. i mean you live in MK so there are some guitar stores not far from you. (not sure if they have an Apex2 or a RG1527) hmmmm.

get both.

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
Having experience with both the RG1527 was the better guitar, J-craft...

I couldn't get used to the neck on the Apex 2. Only think i liked better on the Apex 2 was the input jack, just positioned better haha

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
for a guy buying his first 7 string though, I doubt you'll notice the difference that J craft brings.

for a value-for-money guitar, I'd get the APEX :shrug:

dantesdeception

Reaction score
1. Basswood is not a bad wood. Mahogany is a very low mid orientated wood while Basswood is very even across all spectra and it really brings out the character of the pickups you use. This transparency is why most of the "shred" guitars and musicians use Basswood. I really like it and my RG1527 has a killer lead tone.

2. A normal Ibanez M100C (or whatever) hard shell case will hold 7 string guitars no problem.

3. J. Craft means that they're made in Japan in the same plant and made by the same people who make their J. Custom guitars. The Indonesian line are significantly lower quality than their higher end Japanese line guitars. That doesn't mean that the APEX2 is a bad guitar. I own 2 Japanese, a Indonesian and a Chinese Ibanez and they all have their place within the ranks...

cheers buddy that ironed out a lot of creases! think im swayed toward the rg now

all i can say is, the apex with the dimarzio paf... the clean tone is quality, other than that, with the distorted its a bit muddy. but personally with the choice i'd go for the RG1527, its a better quality guitar although the apex isn't bad, its actually real good! but the J-craft build quality is second to none. (plus it comes with a hardcase). Just check them out. i mean you live in MK so there are some guitar stores not far from you. (not sure if they have an Apex2 or a RG1527) hmmmm.

get both.

haha i wish, im going to ring PMT the music shop in northampton to see if they have either in stock so i can have a play.

and hell yeah i want bioth!

Having experience with both the RG1527 was the better guitar, J-craft...

I couldn't get used to the neck on the Apex 2. Only think i liked better on the Apex 2 was the input jack, just positioned better haha

yeah i was concerned about the wizzard II neck too

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Id personally say it comes down to whether you want a trem or not. Both guitars CAN sound great (might need a pickup swap, but its still possible), and for a first 7 the quality on both is good enough, admittedly higher on the 1527 but as t'other Dave said, you might not even notice it at first. The 1527 costs more, but then you get a case and a trem. If basswood really bothered you, hell you could even get a new body made like Im doing soon (mahogany or alder, mahogany or alder...). But then depending on what other gear you have you might not even notice the difference. In summary, 1527 if you specifically want a trem, Apex if you dont :)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I guess I'll play the role of Patrick here --

'Mahogany' is an unfair blanket word that builders like to throw out there because we players think it means something it doesn't. There are tons of different species of Mahogany, and they don't all sound similar.

What species of mahogany do they use for the Apex, anyway?

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
its worth noting that the neck quality will probably be higher on the 1527. i mean the fretwork, fretboard quality, finish on the back of the neck, etc, will almost certainly be higher than the Apex.

Also, the Apex has the Wizard II neck, which is a little chubbier than the Wizard 7. I looooove the feel of the Wizard 7 neck! Its like hanging onto a really wide yardstick.

dantesdeception

Reaction score
for a guy buying his first 7 string though, I doubt you'll notice the difference that J craft brings.

for a value-for-money guitar, I'd get the APEX :shrug:
money isnt really an issue, it will take me 2 months to work the money for either anyway.

and i would prefer the better quality anyway, even if i cant tell at the momnent i wont want to regret getting the apex

I'd try both before you make up your mind man, it could save you a lot of money :)

trouble is i dont know if the shop will get them both in just for me to try them :S

I guess I'll play the role of Patrick here --

'Mahogany' is an unfair blanket word that builders like to throw out there because we players think it means something it doesn't. There are tons of different species of Mahogany, and they don't all sound similar.

What species of mahogany do they use for the Apex, anyway?

im not sure.. but that is good knowledge about the different types.

its worth noting that the neck quality will probably be higher on the 1527. i mean the fretwork, fretboard quality, finish on the back of the neck, etc, will almost certainly be higher than the Apex.

Also, the Apex has the Wizard II neck, which is a little chubbier than the Wizard 7. I looooove the feel of the Wizard 7 neck! Its like hanging onto a really wide yardstick.

awesome so is the wizard 7 neck the better neck?