Ibanez RG1527RB or K7?

• Thread starter ScareRaven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which would you suggest for death metal?

• Ibanez RG1527

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Ibanez K7

Votes: 32 61.5%

• Total voters

ScareRaven

The Golden Raven
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
After walking in to a music store today and being horribly disappointed that they can no longer get the RG1527 in black, I was lead to consider ordering an RG1527 in Royal Blue, then getting it refinished like a S520EX MGF. But you see, there's the RG1527 RB and then there's a K7. I've always doubted that the K7 would be a good guitar for Death Metal (Aeon, Beneath The Massacre, Necrophagist, Nile, blah blah blah), but perhaps some of you have different opinions. It's been 2 years since I've bought a guitar (my last one being a Godin Freeway Classic... :p), and I'm just trying to make sure that I make the right choice for the music that I'd like to play with my instrument. And if I happen to get a K7 and it's a decent guitar, I'd feel kind of odd keeping the 'K-7' inlay in the fingerboard, so inlay removal may be an option for that model.

They both have 24 frets, and generally the same shape... Now, what's troubling is: K7 has a lo-pro, RG has an edge pro; K7 has a mahogany body, RG has a basswood body, the pickups are different (but I'd most likely get new ones anyway), and the necks are different as well... The u-bar seems like an interesting tool. Haha... and I suppose they're both Prestige models?

I'd really appreciate it if some of you were able to give me some advice on purchasing a 7-string. Thank you very much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Hi man!

I was reading your post, and see you are going to play some Death Metal.

My idea was, if you use the Tremolo, the K7. A Solid guitar, with an unique sound (the Maho+Paf'sm it's amazing!), and i think that you have more deepnes on the low tones.

But my other idea was the Ibby 8 (to premature, but is an idea), 'cuase you have there more bass notes, and maybe you like it. I know stupid recomendation.

I think that you have to get the K7, it's a very good instrument, and you shure forget that you have that "K-7" inlay on the 12th.

BTW The K7, has a nice binding and some markers that glows in the dark, that's sick!

Reaction score
it should come down to whether you want basswood or mahogany, and dots or a k-7 logo. Pickups are always replaceable, and the trems arent too different (edge pros need more credit). Both are sick guitars. I find that i like basswood better than mahogany for death metalish stuff.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
K7's a better guitar IMO and there is NOTHING stopping you from playing Death metal on one.

I play Death Metal and would take the K7 over the 1527 any day

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Schecter Loomis sig. :agreed:

Out of those two, the K-7 has binding, good pickups and mahogany stock, soo...the choice is obvious.

ScareRaven

The Golden Raven
Reaction score
Interesting! So what's the listed price on a K7 (US or CDN currency)?
Does it come in a Prestige case as well?:rolleyes:

Haha... and I've been meaning to post about this new Ibanez Prestige offer to see if anybody knows anything about it: In the January 2007 issue of Revolver, there's an advertisement featuring Herman Li. The advertisement suggests: "Make History! with purchase of any Ibanez Prestige or Signature Guitar & Bass. Get a FREE Ibanez History Book & More!" Then it's got a picture of a book and a t-shirt, and whatnot... Haha. Does anybody know anything about this? This was the first time I'd heard about it.

I don't want to get too much off topic though. It'd be great to hear some more helpful criticism for these two guitars. Sounds like it may be a tough choice... The K7 is looking good though.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
The Rg1527 is a great guitar, very much so. But, if it were to come down to it, the K7 pretty much shits all over it lol. The K7 comes with great pickups, a better tremelo system, better wood (mahogany, that the PAF7's sound so great with) and just yeh. Try em both out if you can, but in most peoples oppinion the K7 will be a better guitar. Thats my oppinion though, the K7 inlay isn't all that bad either. :hbang:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I own both an RG1527RB and a K7 now, and I will tell you that they are both fantastic guitars, but the K7 is definetly the winner.

You can't lose either way, but the 1527 will need a pickup upgrade.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Another vote for the K-7. Just a heads up though, you mentioned "inlay removal" if you went with the K-7. A good friend of mine is one of the premier inlay artists in the United States (and the world, he does a lot of the inlay for the Fender Custom Shop, Schecter Custom Shop, ESP Custom Shop, Warrior Custom Shop and about 5-10 others!) and someone has brought up this topic before on our forum and he said he wouldn't advise trying to remove an inlay from a fretboard unless you're planning on buying a whole new board. That inlay is deep enough that it's not worth damaging the board to try to pry it out. If you can't get past an inlay to see a really cool guitar underneath, don't buy the K-7. If you would prefer to get a cool guitar and can live with the inlay, I think you'll be happy with it. If not, get the 1527 in blue. ;)

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
if you can afford it, K7 all the way, it plays fantastically and whilst the PAF7s arent the hottest pup in the world i've used the K7 on all the demo tracks for my death metal band and it sounded sick as shit ;)

like i said if you can afford it get over the inlay and get the K7, you wont regret it :yesway:

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
If you want to play really low shit liek Nile then the K-7 already comes set up for A standard so you wont have to sit there with an allen wrench for hours setting up the bridge. I agree with Mr. S about 'if you can afford it' because the pickups on the 1527 arent that amazing-certainly not bad but you'll probably ending up replacing them anyway, so if the paf's dont suit you then you can replace those and sell them.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tough choice as i've played a 1527 and loved it. However, a K7 would be better seeing how it's mahogany and I love the looks of them aside from the K7 inlay. I have a feeling though if I owned a K7, the inlay would probably grow on me. I watched Korn's Live at Hammerstein which I just picked up and Head is playing the Blade Grey one, very nice tone on that guitar. :agreed:

ScareRaven

The Golden Raven
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the advice! HighGain510, thanks for letting me know about that. It's not such a horrible inlay, it's just been a personal preference of mine to have blank fingerboards. :) As for the pickups, I would definitely consider a new arrangement if necessary. Now, if it comes somewhere close to $2000 Canadian for a K7, I might consider saving up a little more to get a Custom 7 made.

I was quoted $2700 on this beauty:
StephanForteLAGSig.jpg

StephanForteLAGSigTheBeastII.jpg

StephanForteLAGSigTheBeast.jpg

I might have to create a new Thread for this guitar just to give some people something to talk about and share the interesting specs. :idea:
All of the advice has been greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for sharing your opinions with me. This will only be my third electric guitar, but my first seven-string and I'm looking forward to forging some metal with a good instrument! :shred:
:wavey:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I voted for the 1527. if you want to spend about 600$ more for a mahogany body and PAF7's then get the K7. they're both badass guitars, but if you're gonna change the pickups anyway, and like Basswood, i'd go for the 1527

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
is the k7 even going to be manufactured anymore when the apex guitars are released after namm? if not, i would say to get it if you have the money. i would personally get the k7 because i already have an rg1570 that looks exactly the same as the 1527 just with 6 strings and a single coil in the middle, otherwise i would go cheap. seeing as your considering a custom as well, i'm not sure if that would be an issue for you. btw that custom is pretty sick :yesway:

')