Ibanez RG1527Z (2011) rust problem

RuffeDK

Reaction score
It has been going on for too long, and now it really freaking me out.
My RG1527 RB (2009) looks good and healthy, but this one is more or less decaying. Is there anything I can do about it? Can't even sell it in this condition. It was such a great guitar... barely more than a year old.

01102012149.jpg

01102012150.jpg

01102012151.jpg

01102012152.jpg

01102012153.jpg

Any help and/or advices please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
Do you keep each guitar at a different location? Like one guitar always at home and the other in the practice room?

It doesnt look like its caused by sweat. More like it stayed in a damp climate for quite a long time.

grifff

Reaction score
Do you keep each guitar at a different location? Like one guitar always at home and the other in the practice room?

It doesnt look like its caused by sweat. More like it stayed in a damp climate for quite a long time.

I second the damp climate part, my JP6 has the same issues with the backplate screws and the humidity here in Maryland, US is quite high (>50%) at most times over the summer.

Dickicker

Reaction score
Yeah, Sweat normally rusts it. Definitely need to make sure you wipe your guitar down once you ge done playing it.

RuffeDK

Reaction score
I keep all my instruments in my living room - same climate for every instrument. I mainly use this one for band practice and gigs (+ RG1527 RB as backup). If the guitar(s) is getting overflood by sweat when playing, I will wipe the surface with a towel - but that does not explain why the locking-nut screws are turning white, because I don't play/sweat up there.
Must be the room climate but as I mentioned; I keep all my instruments in the same room but none of the other instruments are suffering from this illness.
I'll turn it in at the shop where I bought it... ask if there's anything they can do.

Moltar

Reaction score
I'm not TOO knowledgeable with Ibanez guitars, even though I have three... BUT, does the 2009 have the Z tremolo? Because if it doesn't, then maybe the new Z trems are made of different material. If they both have the Z tremolo, then maybe the newer ones are made of cheaper metals.

RuffeDK

Reaction score
I'm not TOO knowledgeable with Ibanez guitars, even though I have three... BUT, does the 2009 have the Z tremolo? Because if it doesn't, then maybe the new Z trems are made of different material. If they both have the Z tremolo, then maybe the newer ones are made of cheaper metals.

The 2009 RG1527 comes with the Edge 7 Pro bridge, which (IMO) is better and also made of higher quality components. Edge Zero however is more user-friendly and easier to work with but some parts of the system has been cheaped out.

I spoke with one of the repairmen in the shop, and he will order some new parts (screws, lock-nut screws, bridge tuners ect.) made by a German manufacture which is higher quality than the ones Ibanez puts in the Edge Zero.
He also told me I could give the string-lockers (bridge) some WD40 oil so they wouldn't be so vulnerable to damp.

It may not be as bad as I thought, but let us wait and see how much it's going to cost me...

Dickicker

Reaction score
may look ugly, but hey, If it works, it works. lol

I'm going to go with the screws and stuff are made out of some cheap material because there is no rust on the saddles or bridge itself, just the nuts and bolts.

Moltar

Reaction score
I suppose its just another case of Ibanez cheaping out again... I sure am glad that my universe has the Edge Pro 7! Good luck with cleaning it up though... it shouldn't be TOO hard...

metallic1

Reaction score
take the trem off the guitar, and use wd-40, or similar light penetrating oil, and use a toothbrush, or similar light brush, and clean and lubricate all the parts., dry with dry cloth, and buff to a shine as best as you can., if the corrosion starts comeing back, do it again.

joe-tofu

Reaction score
The same happened to the bolts on my RGD2127z's Edge Zero-Trem. I found out that my guitar-cleaning-spray causes that white coating. Do you use something like that? It never happened to any of my guitars before, so I'm also sure, that Ibanez uses cheap material on that parts.

Use a bit of WD40 or Ballistol and a toothbrush and it'll go away.

RuffeDK

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs!

I'll grab a can of WD-40 tomorrow and see what I can do with it.

Hoping for the best. But I don't like Ibanez cheaping out on their trems :( specially with such a nice and expensive instrument.

')