Ibanez RG1527z or Ibanez XPT707????

• Thread starter chaos_reborn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Both these guitars are amazing from what ive heard and they are within the price range i wanted........
so which one would u guys recommend.....and id also like to know the pros and cons of both.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
I have the Xpt 707. Here some important points:

Negativ:
-very neck heavy (unless you drill your own strap button holes)
-the quality from Indonesia is not that good IMO
-mine came with a awefull high tension and intonation
-IMO overpriced

Positiv:
+nice sound (mahagony, mapple and d-activators<3 )
+bad ass shape
+thinnest neck ever
+very comfortable bridge

I heard that the Ibanez falchion would be more comfortable, you'll have to wait till they bring a 7 though.

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
1527 is Jap-made Prestige
It has a trem, so you could count that as a pro or con, depending on what you prefer.
It's made of basswood(high-quality one that sounds awesome and very musical to my ears)
It's stock pickups are usable(not bad or terrible, but definitely fail to bring out the guitar's full potential).
It's a bolt-on, which again can count as pro or con, depending on preference. The neck heel is contoured very comfortably, so that's a non-issue.

The XPT707 is Indo-made
Body is mahogany.
No-trem and neckthrough - should sustain forever.
Stock pickups are DiActivators which is cool - saves you the extra-hassle to replace.
The guitar bears a "I'm metal as fuck" statement, which again is personal preference.

2 different axes for slightly differing needs. Both will rock hard, though!

Goatchrist

Reaction score
I would go with the 1527 cause it's Japanese. I have learned how important quality can be.
I would spend some extra cash for pickups though.

But that's just my opinion, if you need a bad ass looking guitar a 1527 won't satisfy you.

Reaction score
1527 kills the xpt. played both. as to the "THINNEST NECK EVER" statement about the xpt, the 1527 has a thinner neck haha

Reaction score
1527 kills the xpt. played both. as to the "THINNEST NECK EVER" statement about the xpt, the 1527 has a thinner neck haha

Hmm, I can't help but wonder if you are somewhat biased towards the 1527.... :lol:

But yea, deff my pick too, Xiphos might look awesome but overall 1527 kills it. :D

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
Have you actually tried those guitars out?

I can say both are good, but you'll want to swap the pickups in the RG1527. I don't really like the Xiphos though...

Do you have any idea of what kind of specs you want on your guitar? Maybe you'll find which one you want whn you list them out. Just my opinion

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned both. upper fret access I found horrible on the xiphos. the 1527 is a higher-quality guitar, but the xiphos I got was fine. Neck dive on the xiphos was horrible, I've read a strap button relocation can help with that. fixed bridge on the xiphos (I prefer trems). cool paint on the xiphos (though my 1527 is white and I like white:)

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
This isn't much help but I have the 1527 and it is an amazing guitar to play. The action is at a nice level and the weight is perfect for me (pretty heavy). I had blackouts installed as the original pick-ups weren't great, and it is now my best guitar sound wise.

If I may hijack a little as well, everyone seems to hold the Japanese built Ibanez guitars in quite high esteem. Are they much better build quality than their US counterparts?

Lasik124

Reaction score
I can only give my 2 cents for the 1527, Its my main guitar and I love it.

I'd say a pickup change is in need though

Reaction score
im not exactly biased. in fact, i wont even have it for much longer haha i traded my dad for his 7620 and it was a great move

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
im not exactly biased. in fact, i wont even have it for much longer haha i traded my dad for his 7620 and it was a great move

wow... your DAD plays SEVENS??!? tell your dad is most likely the coolest fucking dad out there!!!

my dad doesnt really care for music... and as for 7 strings, he thinks its rediculous that people actually want more than 6 lol

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
If I may hijack a little as well, everyone seems to hold the Japanese built Ibanez guitars in quite high esteem. Are they much better build quality than their US counterparts?

No, they're just better than the Indo's/China's and Korea's.
Probably on par with the USA quality(depends on lots of stuff, really).

Erodrim

Reaction score
I have the 1527 as well and with blaze custom 7 pickups and it's an awesome guitars, plays like a dream, neck is super thin.

the only con is the paint job that kinda chips away super easy if you don't pay attention to much :S

gonna do a refinish one of these days

BMU

Reaction score
The 1527 is in a higher class altogether. I.t.o. playability and build quality there's no comparison imo. Pickups and aesthetics are the only reason you might want to choose the Xiphos. And pickups can be changed.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
This makes me want a 1527 even worse.

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
I've had the XPT, and with my chair, it didn't feel very comfortable at all, the neck was pretty heavy, but the sound was great. For an indo-made guitar, it was solid, and the bridge is really great and solid.

But, the 1527 is Japanese, higher quality, and if you're looking for a more traditionally shaped guitar, it's your best bet.

')