Ibanez RG2228 and string gauge

• Thread starter Spazi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spazi

Reaction score
Hi guys, Just bought the Ibanez RG2228, so far I'm loving it, and going from six strings to 8 strings was a huge leap for me.
I thought I might as well join sevenstring.org, lots of info here! Happy to join the party, and I hope that I get to know some of you guys :)
Anyhoo, about the guitar:
A big disappointment is the F# string, It's sloppy and I really don't like it. It sounds muddy and floppy! It needs to sound more clear and tight.
Searching the net for some info on a string set for the RG2228 wasn't much to find. From what I can understand I have a 0.10 set on my guitar, leaving the F# to a 0.70?
I've read somewhere that it's recommended to get a bigger gauge F# string, something like 0.75-0.85
I really don't want to mess up anything, so I wanted to know what you guys are using? Can I use a 0.10-0.11 set but leaving the F# to a bigger gauge string?
I also heard that I need to drill the hole bigger on my F# machine head, to be able to fit a bigger gauge string. is that true?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
:welcome:

I'm new to the 8 string game as well, but I would suggest maybe a .074 at first, just to see how you feel about it. I think the factory gauge is a .072.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Going from tension calculators, videos I have seen, and my prefered tension on my current guitar, I would use an 80 no doubt.
For reference, I like 11-49 in D# standard with a low G# 70 gauge at 25.5".
You wont mess up the guitar. Using an 80 will actually give you pretty much even tension. You will probably need to drill the machine head. A lot of people unwind the end of the string but drilling the machine head is incredibly easy and I've found unwinding strings pretty difficult.

Spazi

Reaction score
Cool, thx for the reply. I talked to my local guitar tech, I'm going for a 0.11 set, leaving the F# on a 0.75 for now. If I don't like it, I'll install a 0.80 :)
I'm just so new to this 8 string thing, really didn't know what strings to use :p

Daken1134

Reaction score
I agree with your tech. i use 11-49's then i special order a 66 and an 80 for my RG2228. i did have to drill out the tuning machine but its worth it. especially if you do alot of chordal stuff which i love doing on the 8. IF you do chordal stuff your not going to want a .75 trust me. the problem that i had with it is if i strum hard at all the string will vibrate out of tune a lil bit making it sound like crap. the 80 seems to be the thickest i can get in there comfortably, i want to use an 85 but the bridge doesnt seem to want to take it

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my RG2228 for a few months now. Still has the standard strings on but yesterday I ordered new and thicker strings. I'm going for a .70 for the F# to start with, and if I don't like that I will upgrade to .75
Do you guys think it's stupid NOT to go for the .75 straight away?

I actually like the feel of the thinner standard strings, but speed picking is some messy business on the B and F#, and as mention they sounds slightly out of tune when picked hard.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to drill out your tuner, you can either unwrap the length of string that's gonna be in the tuner, or you can just put the end into the tuner as far as it will go (until it hits the full gauged part), and snip off lengths from the ball-end end as needed.

I did the unwrap for my Damien 8 and it worked great.

bronz79

Reaction score
Now i'm in F with d'addario 70 + 54/9 i like the tension.I'd like to go down to E1 using Elixir string so plesae suggest me:

-75 (bass string) + 56/10 or
-80 (bass string) + 60 (bass string) + 46/10.

0.80 will fit in the bridge?

Thanks.

Dayn

Reaction score
I generally use a GHS .080 for E on mine and it fits fine. I find GHS to... either have more tension than D'Addario, or simply hold their tone better at that level. I have a .090 on at the moment, but I had to unwind the tip a bit for the saddle to grab onto it properly.

My experience has been that an .080 guitar string fits, and the saddle will keep it in place properly; an .080 bass string fits, but the saddle can't crush it in. I have to crush the bass string with a pair of pliers so the saddle can grab it properly. Though I haven't tried Elixir bass strings, so I can't comment on their strings.

Tension-wise, as I said, I ideally prefer an .080 for E with GHS, but .074 gives me usable tension. I'd only use a .070 for E if I did no more than tap it.

Reaction score
Any thing over .68 won't fit all d way through, anyway some brands makes d end of d string thinner so stick it in d pole until d point it gets wider and cut d ball end.

Reaction score
d8a1f0a7237373ed0670fa88fba61926.jpg

I've got this set on my RG2228 and I'm real happy with them. The end of .074 is tapered so you don't have to modify your tuning peg.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Personally, I feel like 74 is perfect for F# and F on the 2228. However, some times I also go to E and Eb so I am now using an 80. The 80 is pretty solid for F , but almost a tad too much at times. Like I said if I was mainly sticking to F I would go for 74!

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to try that Ernie Ball set. I'm currently running a 75 bass string as my F# on my RG2228, and while it does what it's supposed to it just feels like something is missing!

Because I live in Denmark it's hard to get the proper strings for an 8, but luckily thomann.de carries that 8string set, and even at a low price! :D

Thanx for the tip! :)

bronz79

Reaction score
Today 'ive tried elixir 0.80 for E1.Very good! Tomorrow i'll end filling the nut and the saddle,not a big work with the right tools.

Reaction score
Heya guys...i'm new to the forum and been reading about the gauges that you guys have been using. I have the RG2228 fitted with Lundgren M8s...i love the pickup but i'm having tuning issues.
The string gauge i'm using are currently recommended by Ibanez website which are 0.65 - 0.09 and its tuned half step down F to Eb. The problem is the 8th string be it tuned to F# or F i'll always get a half step higher when its fretted. eg open 8 string is F but fret the 1st fret i'll get G instead of F#.
I've move the saddle back all the way behind, forward and such but still in vain. Even tried filing the nut a bit still no change...i appreciate it you guys can give me hand or solution...thanks!

Reaction score
The problem is the 8th string be it tuned to F# or F i'll always get a half step higher when its fretted. eg open 8 string is F but fret the 1st fret i'll get G instead of F#.
I've move the saddle back all the way behind, forward and such but still in vain. Even tried filing the nut a bit still no change...i appreciate it you guys can give me hand or solution...thanks!

:scratch:

I've got an Ibanez RG2228 and I've never heard of anything like this. At this point you'd better take your guitar to a professional luthier...

Reaction score
:scratch:

I've got an Ibanez RG2228 and I've never heard of anything like this. At this point you'd better take your guitar to a professional luthier...

Hi Eric thanks for the response...all my guitars is being setup by a luthier. And that's why i'm so darn confused with the problem i'm facing. Even the luthier cant understand why....

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
In standard tuning, i think a .70 will have the same amount of tension as a .52 above it.

However, i would try a .75, but no higher than .80. Try different string brands and types, as you're looking for something that feels tighter. Some brands can feel looser at higher gauges for some reason.

')