Ibanez RG2228/RG2228A

djentynuts

Reaction score
Hi guys can you help me here with these two models: RG2228 RG2228A i want to know the difference between them (seems only the pickups Dimarzio and EMG :s) and wich one you would pick for djenty tunes ;) thank you :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
First, welcome :wavey:
Second this is the wrong section.
Third, as Ibanez's site will tell you, the differences are that the 2228 is galaxy (metallic) black and has EMG 808's, the 2228A is solid gloss black with D-Activators.
Fourth djent is a technique blah blah blah the only thing that would determine for me which I got is how cheap it is, as I prefer galaxy black but would change for the 808X, but overall would rather the passive DiMarzios of the A.

Dakotaspex

The Uniballer
Reaction score
Here come the BKP Aftermath fanboys...
I kid, I kid. BKP makes some good pickups.

Umm, for a djent tone, definitely go with Dimarzios. More room for experimentation with different pickups. Welcome to SSO! :wavey:

djentynuts

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the answers :) and sorry @ROOK didnt know wich section i should post :s

hug :)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Its cool man :yesway:

And you can't tag on here bro :lol:

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
^ Lol I wish you could, that'd be sweet. Also, I'd recommend the RG2228A based on the specs alone.

For Teh Djentz, that is.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Decide if you want active pickups or passive pickups, and not just initially, but for the "long run." It's much easier swapping out passives for passives and actives for actives should you decide to switch pickups.

BillNephew

Reaction score
I'd go with the RG2228A. The DiMarzios are a better pickup IMO. If you don't like them, you can still swap them out for another passive set without replacing the pots and soldering a new wiring harness. The EMG's on the other hand only have one feasibly acquirable alternative; which are the Blackouts. Also, if you go with the RG2228A, it comes in any color you want, as long as it's black!

Reaction score
You can always put passive pickups in an active cover so I see passives as a limiting factor.

I have tried tons of pickups by now, and have settled on EMG's, but only the 707TW or 707TWX. For 8 string I am trying an 808x.

You can have actives and still have nice cleans, but they are EMG cleans, which is it's own thing really.

djentynuts

Reaction score
Well based on your help i think the Rg2228 would be better, since i can switch easy to a passive ones later than have a Rg2228a and switch to active right? but damn Dimarzio :)... anyway i can change the pickups after

Thank you for the help ;)

Dakotaspex

The Uniballer
Reaction score
Yeah, if you go actives, you could easily find EMG size covers and just cover up the passives. It's kind of fun to fool everyone into thinking you have EMGs. :lol: Honestly, google, youtube, and the SSO search functions will be your best friend for this.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'd go with the RG2228A. The DiMarzios are a better pickup IMO. If you don't like them, you can still swap them out for another passive set without replacing the pots and soldering a new wiring harness. The EMG's on the other hand only have one feasibly acquirable alternative; which are the Blackouts. Also, if you go with the RG2228A, it comes in any color you want, as long as it's black!

Not 100% true. There are EMG style pickup covers should OP want actives now and change his mind later.

Latest posts

')