Ibanez RG2228 Thread

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
That is sweet Mike!!!! What woods is it made of??

I :wub: it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Here is the 27.5" , 32 fret 8 string. I just have to drill a few holes and she`s ready for the spray booth.

Man, that guitar looks awesome! What would you charge for a guitar like that? Im thinking of getting an ibanez eight from Ikebe when they come out, but if I could get a custom eight for a reasonable price maybe that is the way Ill go.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I don't think so Ishan.

Ibanez it's not going to sell a guitar that sounds like shit for that money, and - with 8 string.

I think that they did something strange with EMG products, and they pups make the guitar sound exellent.

Ishan you have to try it to have some sound opinions.

Well if I was having an 8 string built the last wood I would choose would be basswood. It's too soft and the bass doesn't have the clarity or attack I would want. The pickups can only do so much if the body and neck woods are sucking the tone to death. Basswood and rosewood doesn't do much for me on a six string, it totally turns me on an eight string. EMG pickups do tend to overpower the woods in the guitar a bit but even they can only do so much.

:2c:

Reaction score
It ill probably sound good since they decided to use it. :) I dont think they would be so stupid that they would make the first production 8 with a wood that makes it sound horrible. This guitar is more appealing to me than the Jeff loomis sig. :metal:

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
aren't they stock emg bass pups?

Yes, they are the same EMG 45DC but with some "changes", it's preppared for guitar. IMO it's the same pup with some different sound spect for the guitar and with a 808 logo (because they put some liquid paper on the 45DC logo :lol:)

ohio_eric:

My 8 it's going to be = to the Connor's guitar (Putrefy), the same wood but with some easy inlay.

IMO with the EMG didn't overpower the Basswood, they only process the sound, to get some solid and compresed sound, that's the way.

The basswood it's for the weigth of the guitar.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
I`m sure Ibanez went with basswood because it is cheap and plentiful in Asia, easy to work, and does give a halfway decent sound on tremolo bridge guitars.

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
Why didn't they just make a normal hardtail with a fender style bridge?

That's what I was thinking, too. True, it is more stable tuningwise with the proposed setup, but it wouldn't be too hard to get locking tuners + a graphite nut later on.

I haven't had much trouble with tuning stability on my rg7321 since I bought it last August. No locking tuners for me, and I thrash the strings fairly hard. I just change mine at least once a month or so.

All hail the Gnome

Reaction score
From the Ibanez forums, IbanezBass is one of the mods there:

isan said:
Ibanez RG2228-GK, E-Guitar, 8 String, Basswood Body, 5-pc. Maple/Wenge Neck, Rosewood Fretobard, 24 JumboFrets, Fixed Edge III-8 Bridge, 2 x EMG 808 Pickups, Color: Galaxy Black, incl. Luxus Case and Leather Strap
lol that is what poped up when i googled rg2228

IbanezBass said:
This is from the European website. Not Ibanez USA........please keep in mind that European Ibanez is totally different from the US Ibanez

Maybe we'll have a different color option in the states?:agreed: I hope he's not just referring to the case and/or strap.:nono:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Man, that guitar looks awesome! What would you charge for a guitar like that? Im thinking of getting an ibanez eight from Ikebe when they come out, but if I could get a custom eight for a reasonable price maybe that is the way Ill go.

The one pictured is $2,300 and is getting a trans grey/trans black burst.
If someone wanted a version without the binding and fancy woods, the price will be lower.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The one pictured is $2,300 and is getting a trans grey/trans black burst.
If someone wanted a version without the binding and fancy woods, the price will be lower.

That's not a bad price at all. Very cool. :yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Basswood body?!!? WTF?! This is not what I expected, basswood is crap, too neutral for those EMG. It's going to sound totaly dead!

I wouldn't say basswood is crap - it IS, as you pointed out, very neutral, and honestly when you're talking about a guitar that can go from a low open F# all the way up to a 24-fret high E, neutrality is definitely a boon.

I'd much rather have it with something other than EMG's, but even if you throw in a couple hundred for a set of custom pickups and pickup rings, that's not half bad...

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I think basswood gets bad rep because it's cheap, and a very large percent of cheap guitars are made with basswood, and so people associate basswood with cheap guitars. Just because it's cheap and bundant doesn't mean it's crap, however. Let's not forget there are a lot of extremely pricey basswood guitars out there, as well.

My RG1527 is basswood, and I'm extremely happy with what it delivers :shrug:

All hail the Gnome

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;344453 said:
I think the color is reffering to the guitar's color.

Um... yeah. I was referring to the difference between what's sold in Europe as opposed to the States. As in: Hopefully any differences will be the color of the guitar and not whether or not there is a strap and case included. Though it's great that it comes with a case, hopefully that happens in the States too.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Basswood is NOT a tone wood, I'll never have any guitar made of "that". You can get a pretty neutral EQ with a good tonewood like walnut or even ash if done right. Basswood is just an excuse to reduce the cost (not a bad excuse actualy, they certainly wont sell that many 8 strings I guess)
The only way I see this guitar sound good would be with high power passive pickups (like a custom job by Bare Knuckles)
I don't really care for that 8 string anyway, my custom will cost me less :rolleyes:

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but basswood IS a tone wood (it makes a sound IIRC), just because you don't like doesn't make you right.

A lot of credible players use basswood and get incredible tone out of it. But then again, tone is SUBJECTIVE. There is no right or wrong.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Basswood's natural sound is kind of 'unspectacular' which kind of makes it sound dull imo, it's kind of like using an all-MDF guitar cabinet.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Um... yeah. I was referring to the difference between what's sold in Europe as opposed to the States. As in: Hopefully any differences will be the color of the guitar and not whether or not there is a strap and case included. Though it's great that it comes with a case, hopefully that happens in the States too.

Oh, I see now. I thought you asking if there were any color options(for the guitar) other than black.

:yesway: It's okay. Just some bad communcation.

')