Ibanez RG2228 Thread

Ryan

Reaction score
Some people just wont be happy unless its made from a 5,000 year old California Redwood.. Basswood is fine for me. I get a wide range of tones out of it. All of them are very usable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
And quit raggin' on basswood. Different people like different things, I have a bass made of basswood that I always get great tone out of. I have tried others made out of different woods and they sound great too(just different) so I'm not partial to basswood. It all depends on what your aiming for, pickups(I use a jazz), EQU, Amps, Pedals, etc. All that and more(things like the quality of your technique) all play a crucial role in the forming of your tone. Just cause you don't like the sound of basswood doesn't mean it can't sound good. Not saying that wood has no effect on sound but basswood =/= Bad Tone. Sorry about the rant but I had to get that out of me and I formed some very good points along the way.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
Would it kill ibanez to colour match a headstock? Seriously.

All hail the Gnome

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;344987 said:
Oh, I see now. I thought you asking if there were any color options(for the guitar) other than black.

:yesway: It's okay. Just some bad communcation.

All's well that ends well:hug:

Despite all the Ibanez bashing going on about this guitar, I for one will be buying one of these. So it's not a fanned fret neck-thru mahogany body with a AAAAA bookmatched flamed maple top and a sweet Dimarzio or SD or Lundgren pup combo. Seriously, this guitar opens doors for things that were never previously available without shelling out $2500+. A production 8 for ca. $1600? I'll take one, please, basswood, EMG's and all. I want things like this to contuinue to be available, so I will be supporting this. And no, I will not use it in a Meshuggah clone band. I promise!:lol:

Ryan

Reaction score
Would it kill ibanez to colour match a headstock? Seriously.

3scopan.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
8AS$W()0D SUXORS!

Just kidding!

If they make an eight string out of Balsa, it'd at least be a start! I'm happy for Ibanez. Really!

So what is the current word on the availability in the US for this thing?

Reaction score
The one pictured is $2,300 and is getting a trans grey/trans black burst.
If someone wanted a version without the binding and fancy woods, the price will be lower.

What bodyshapes do you do? Just asking in case I one day get the money to make a custom. (hopefully soon)

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
has anyone found out what scale-length the Ibby will be?

I sent a mail to Thomann about that a few days ago but havent gotten an answer yet (though they're pretty fast with answering questions usually)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

1440 euro, or $1,879.70. For that much, I can get an 8-string from KxK that is not basswood, not bolt-on, and comes in a color other than black, with fanned frets. I'm sorry, but this guitar is that price for the very same reasons that an Ibanez 7-string used to be that much. It is new, and they are trying to recoup tooling costs. It is really only a $500 RG with one more string.

Pass.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1440 euro, or $1,879.70. For that much, I can get an 8-string from KxK that is not basswood, not bolt-on, and comes in a color other than black, with fanned frets. I'm sorry, but this guitar is that price for the very same reasons that an Ibanez 7-string used to be that much. It is new, and they are trying to recoup tooling costs. It is really only a $500 RG with one more string.

Pass.

Keep in mind that Ibanez is notoriously more expensive in Europe than it is in the States - typically an Ibanez will almost cost in pounds in England what it does in dollars here.

My guess is that it'll be closer to a grand, 1200 when we start seeing USA street prices.

EDIT - what Metalfiend said. If we keep the ratios constant, a £1400 UV goes for $1,800 here new. Thus, I'm getting $1,267 and change for a "best guess" street price. Not half bad - cheaper by rather a lot than I've seen an 8 anywhere else.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Or over here it's just under £970. As the Universe lists at £1400 I'd say it's a damn good buy for us.

Well, I really don't need to go into a rant about how overpriced a Universe is. It really is just an RG with fancy binding and some laminate inlays. Everyone can talk all they want about it being nicer wood, but it is still just nice basswood. Not exactly a rare and expensive tonewood renowned for it's fine acoustic properties.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know Dave, but I just mentioned it as a comparison. My UV (an old one) sounds much better than any basswood RG7 I've played though.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Well, I really don't need to go into a rant about how overpriced a Universe is. It really is just an RG with fancy binding and some laminate inlays. Everyone can talk all they want about it being nicer wood, but it is still just nice basswood. Not exactly a rare and expensive tonewood renowned for it's fine acoustic properties.

Very, very true--although Drew is right that you can't do a straight Euro-to-Dollars conversion since guitars are more expensive in Europe. Sure it's a plain RG guitar, but at least it's made in Japan so the craftmanship will be good. $1200 sounds reasonable for a well made RG with extra strings. Still too much for me though--I can't wait till these things stard selling on ebay for $600 :lol:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very, very true--although Drew is right that you can't do a straight Euro-to-Dollars conversion since guitars are more expensive in Europe. Sure it's a plain RG guitar, but at least it's made in Japan so the craftmanship will be good. $1200 sounds reasonable for a well made RG with extra strings. Still too much for me though--I can't wait till these things stard selling on ebay for $600 :lol:

Cause that's when I'm gonna buy mine! :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I know Dave, but I just mentioned it as a comparison. My UV (an old one) sounds much better than any basswood RG7 I've played though.

That and i think old UV's are leaps and bounds better than new UVs... playability mostly, but all around.

')