Ibanez RG2228 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
^ I don't think so Ishan.

Ibanez it's not going to sell a guitar that sounds like shit for that money, and - with 8 string.

I think that they did something strange with EMG products, and they pups make the guitar sound exellent.

Ishan you have to try it to have some sound opinions.

ibanez sells a lot of crap for way too much money...and BASSWOOD sucks..

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try an UV, did you try a J custom? So stop saying bullshit man :squint:

I owned a white universe with blaze customs and a bunch of RG's 7s and they sounded like crap compared to my conklin, carvins. Infact I A/B them to my conklin and also other guitars. The feel of them (Ibanez) was nice but the tone was nowhere near as good.
Also I have friends that worked for Hoshino and even they admited to me that they have been making shit for the last 5 years.

Sorry but Its true IBANEZ makes Crappy guitars.
Sometimes people lose sight of the tone cause VAI or so and so is using an Ibanez and they play Ibanez cause a big heavy hitter uses them. But remember and I CAN ASSURE YOU that what the big heavy hitter is playing is light years better than the shit they manufacture and get the consumer to buy.
A jem and a universe you buy on the street is NOT going to play like Vai's actual Jem or Universe.
I got off the band wagon with Ibanez years AGO and since then my tone has been better.
Now unless they go back to making guitars like they used too back in the early 90's COUNT ME OUT.
I hate to break it to you but My agile interceptor sounds better than My universes did any day.
Santiago Dobles

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I owned a white universe with blaze customs and a bunch of RG's 7s and they sounded like crap compared to my conklin, carvins. Infact I A/B them to my conklin and also other guitars. The feel of them (Ibanez) was nice but the tone was nowhere near as good.
Also I have friends that worked for Hoshino and even they admited to me that they have been making shit for the last 5 years.

Sorry but Its true IBANEZ makes Crappy guitars.
Sometimes people lose sight of the tone cause VAI or so and so is using an Ibanez and they play Ibanez cause a big heavy hitter uses them. But remember and I CAN ASSURE YOU that what the big heavy hitter is playing is light years better than the shit they manufacture and get the consumer to buy.
A jem and a universe you buy on the street is NOT going to play like Vai's actual Jem or Universe.
I got off the band wagon with Ibanez years AGO and since then my tone has been better.
Now unless they go back to making guitars like they used too back in the early 90's COUNT ME OUT.
I hate to break it to you but My agile interceptor sounds better than My universes did any day.
Santiago Dobles

OK, Santiago.

You'r right on what are you saying about Steve Vai's guitar, but think that the good pieces of Ibanez was constructed finishing 80s and on the 90's, nowadays the guitars are so so. But i think that this year are going to do interesting guitars.

I don't think that an interceptor sounds better than an UV. I can have massive tones with an UV. I never played Conklins or Carvins, but i think that are exellent instruments.

BTW you are the guy in the madison amps video?

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Edit: bowing out of this thread gracefully, having realized that telling this crowd that Ibanez builds crappy guitars is like telling Jesus there's no God.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Blasphemy!

Ibanez is the only true guitar company currently in existence.

The only other true guitar company will be formed by retired ibanez employee's WITH the approval of Hoshino.

All other brands suck. Learn to live with it.

On that note, the sale of my extremely rare, one of a kind ibanez 1077xlL will be finalized tonight hopefully. And my also very rare RG7420L will soon be sold to a friend of mine. Leaving me with only one "Ibanez" guitar. My custom that has the neck of an old UV7PWH....

BUT that doesn't mean that old ibanez guitars are better than new ibanez guitars. It's just a cowinki-dink!

Makelele

Reaction score
My Ibanez RG2077XL and Ibanez 540SLTD sure don't sound like crap. In fact, I haven't heard many guitars that sounded better than they do. Guitars I've tested include Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Strats, ESP's etc. Both my guitars have compared favorably to those guitars, and both play a lot better, and stay in tune at least as well as them. Basswood isn't crap. You might not like it but there are lots of other people who do.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
OK, Santiago.

You'r right on what are you saying about Steve Vai's guitar, but think that the good pieces of Ibanez was constructed finishing 80s and on the 90's, nowadays the guitars are so so. But i think that this year are going to do interesting guitars.

I don't think that an interceptor sounds better than an UV. I can have massive tones with an UV. I never played Conklins or Carvins, but i think that are exellent instruments.

BTW you are the guy in the madison amps video?

I doubt that this year they will get any better I was at NAMM last year and 99% of the stuff on the walls at their booth was crap wit hthe exception of Vai's Acoustic Guitar . I worked at music stores in the past and have taught guitar to well over 100 students all whom which have owned an Ibanez. The best Ibanezs I played where few. My universe was one of them and even then it didn't sound as good as my Interceptor. And no where near as good as my carvin nor Conklin.

I know its a hard pill to swallow. I took me years to be honest with myself and really listen and realize I had to do something about my tone.

Yes I did the madison vids but you can not judge those vids for tone that was from a cheap camcord mic. You want to judge tone.....

go to www.myspace.com/aghora

atmas heave is all conklin & guitars and Madison Amps/Madison Cabs micd with a heil PR 30 (same as used on new tool albums)

All the other songs are Ibanez Universe and Marshall cabs ADA mp1 Line 6 & Marshall JCM900s mic'd with sm57, & 421

Judge the tone for yourself.

The Universe had a great feel and yes I miss that guitar for that reason but the sound is NOWHERE near my new guitars.

At somepoint once Rondo gets the interceptor with better woods the Interceptor will be CRUSHING! All it needs is a Mahogany Body and better Pick ups. but as it is its still better than my universe was.

I know it seems like blashemy. I was once an IBANEZ only person...but guys wake up and smell the coffee........

If you are going to PAY ridiculous money to get a 7 get a Conklin . If you want to pay fair but still a hefty bill get a carvin. You want something better and cheaper go Rondo Interceptor.

Shit even ESP has 7's that sound better than Ibanez all u need to do is swap the Pick ups.

Unless your Ibanez was a high quality axe from early 90's chances are you are playing a hunk of junk. No offense but its true. Quality Control at Hoshin aint what it used to be.

Also a killer 8 string is the Conklin axes.

Santiago Dobles

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes (real, not Korean) Conklins are superb instruments, I've worked on a couple. I'm sure the tone is much more substantial than your average Ibanez, but approx. $3-6K richer in tone? No fucking way. Yes, the materials and workmanship are outstanding, but along with high-end Gibsons and PRS', Conklins are the most insanely over-priced instruments I can think of. They appeal directly to cork-sniffing middle age brokers/collectors, shredders who mortgage their soul for one, or kids with self-status insecurity and a rich daddy (like the one I know who has one). Then comes the time when they try to resell said custom, hand made work of art - they will either take a severe beating on the price because it's not yet a big established name, or they will wait forever to sell it - only yet again to another rich buyer.
It's not that dissimilar to the vintage market, really.

And do you think anyone will be able to tell you the subtle differences in tone between your $1500 RG2228 and a $5-6000 Conklin 8 string while playing with your chugging metal band?
The answer is little to none.

musicboyy

Reaction score
I don't know....but from your post, it seems that since you couldn't get a tone you liked from Ibanez, you are trying to convince everyone that they just plain suck. Tone is so subjective that it can't be a black and white issue. I have 3 Ibanez 7's and I am pretty happy with the tone I get from all 3. I also have 2 Carvins that have great tone. But, that's my own opinion and taste... I respect the fact that you don't like the tone you were getting from Ibanez, but not everyone feels that way.

"Unless your Ibanez was a high quality axe from early 90's chances are you are playing a hunk of junk."???? I'm sure there are people here who own newer RG1527s who are going to disagree with you. My 3 Ibanez's range from 1997 to 1999 and they are definitely NOT hunks of junk. Ya, my Carvins are higher quality (in my opinion), but that doesn't make the Ibanez's crap.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes (real, not Korean) Conklins are superb instruments, I've worked on a couple. I'm sure the tone is much more substantial than your average Ibanez, but approx. $3-6K richer in tone? No fucking way. Yes, the materials and workmanship are outstanding, but along with high-end Gibsons and PRS', Conklins are the most insanely over-priced instruments I can think of. They appeal directly to cork-sniffing middle age brokers/collectors, shredders who mortgage their soul for one, or kids with self-status insecurity and a rich daddy (like the one I know who has one). Then comes the time when they try to resell said custom, hand made work of art - they will either take a severe beating on the price because it's not yet a big established name, or they will wait forever to sell it - only yet again to another rich buyer.
It's not that dissimilar to the vintage market, really.

And do you think anyone will be able to tell you the subtle differences in tone between your $1500 RG2228 and a $5-6000 Conklin 8 string while playing with your chugging metal band?
The answer is little to none.

I am with you there. I LOVE CONKLIN my biggest issue is the price is astronomical even for endorsed artists.

')