Ibanez RG2228 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
US Ibanez site has been updated as well. Looks like it's indeed 27"

IMO Ibanez choose the worst scenario of all ,that it could.

This scale is to long to tune it with high A and it's too short to tune it down to F# without the floppy strings feeling. As the market for this kind of instruments is very low I have no idea why Ibanez didn't listen to their endorsees and what they demand and put it as a production model. Guys from meshuggah know what they are doing and why they have 30' scale guitars. rusty with his 25,5 too.

I'm affraid that next year there will be no 8string models and company will say: " we tried but it wasn't selling good" :rant:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad it's 27" myself. I'm fairly comfortable with 25.5" and I use pretty light guages, so something with a 30" would've been unplayable for me. If it was any more than 27" I was just not going to buy it.

Seems like I might indeed be buying it now. ;)

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree Nikt. Most people who play guitar are used to a 25.5" scale, so an 8-String w/ a 27" will feel a little more natural to them. If you're right though, then hey, one year of a production 8 is better no production at all.

Reactions: Nik

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
IMO Ibanez choose the worst scenario of all ,that it could.

This scale is to long to tune it with high A and it's too short to tune it down to F# without the floppy strings feeling. As the market for this kind of instruments is very low I have no idea why Ibanez didn't listen to their endorsees and what they demand and put it as a production model. Guys from meshuggah know what they are doing and why they have 30' scale guitars. rusty with his 25,5 too.

That argument doesn't make sense. You say that Ibanez was wrong to make the scale length 27", because it is too short for a High A or a low F#, but then you say they should have listened to their endorsers and did what they say? :scratch:
If meshuggah are 30" and Rusty is 25.5", surely the compromise is 27"? :scratch:
I mean, if they made it 25.5" the F# wouldn't be feasible for those who want to do it, while 30" isn't feasible for a High A. And another thing for the 27" scale is the nature of guitar players - they don't like swapping from their wussy 25.5" scales to something much bigger... :p

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Nikt. Even if it is a compromise between 30" and 25.5", it is still going to sound like shit. 27" scale is just not good for soloing in the high registers, and it is not long enough for F# to punch through cleanly.

In all honesty, I think eight strings have to much range to work well without fanned frets. Plus, it is basswood, which is not very good at reproducing lower frequencies. I'll pass.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
just not good for soloing in the high registers
That is just your opinion, but my Viper baritone sounds much smoother and sweeter than my other 2 25.5" scale ones.

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
Here we go bitch bitch bitch... No one is ever pleased. I am glad Ibanez seems to be listening to customers more these days and trying. With the right set of strings 27" will be fine IMO.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
I'm glad it's 27" myself. I'm fairly comfortable with 25.5" and I use pretty light guages, so something with a 30" would've been unplayable for me. If it was any more than 27" I was just not going to buy it.

Seems like I might indeed be buying it now. ;)

Wouldn't say I'm glad about 27", would've preferred a 30" scale, personally. I'm still gonna go ahead with my order. I play in G on my 7, and I play an RG 7321. I have no problems with it, personally. Although I am now running a 70 gauge low b string, lol. I think a 27" tuned to F# will work out just fine. I'm a rhythm player anyways, so I highly doubt I'll be getting too technical way up on the higher end of it.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Here we go bitch bitch bitch... No one is ever pleased. I am glad Ibanez seems to be listening to customers more these days and trying. With the right set of strings 27" will be fine IMO.

I'm not bitching. I'm simply stating why I won't buy the instrument. I didn't know suckling at the teat of Ibanez was a requirement for posting in this thread.

In your opinion it will be fine with the right set of strings. In my opinion, and instrument with this range will only sound good with fanned frets. We can disagree, it's allowed. ;)

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
I'm not bitching. I'm simply stating why I won't buy the instrument. I didn't know suckling at the teat of Ibanez was a requirement for posting in this thread.

In your opinion it will be fine with the right set of strings. In my opinion, and instrument with this range will only sound good with fanned frets. We can disagree, it's allowed. ;)

Actually I think Ibanez has sucked for a long time, but it seems this year they are actually trying. Disagreeing is fine. I just doubt you will ever see a Production 8 with the features you want. A production guitar must be a compromise. If I had the money I would personally get a custom Conklin 8 with Fanned frets, but its a ton of $$.

:metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't think anyone minds if you disagree, I just think thats a pretty strong statement to make without having much experience playing 8s hands on. I know in theory 27" seems like it wouldnt be great for an 8-string, but then again I've seen people tune to A with 24.75's and sound tremendeous. Who knows for sure right?

Shorty

Guitar Buying Frenzy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Opinions are opinions and I shall reserve judgement until I have played one :)

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm just happy they made it affordable. It's going to be alot of fun experimenting with other players on 6, 7, or other 8's. It's something new, that's why I really want one. Well, that and it's gonna impress the ladies, haha.... "You know what they say about guys with big guitars, right?" :cool: :fawk:

Latest posts

')