Ibanez RG2228 Thread

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is $1500 'affordable' necessarily? Asides from the pickups and the fact its an 8-string, there's really not any pricey features on there. Bolt-on, maple neck, basswood body, modest hardware.... I think the RG8 is going to be awesome dont get me wrong.... but I still think $1500 is a lot of money for that. I think it should be more like $1200 but I'm sure Ibanez knows more than me what to price things at.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
Is $1500 'affordable' necessarily? Asides from the pickups and the fact its an 8-string, there's really not any pricey features on there. Bolt-on, maple neck, basswood body, modest hardware.... I think the RG8 is going to be awesome dont get me wrong.... but I still think $1500 is a lot of money for that. I think it should be more like $1200 but I'm sure Ibanez knows more than me what to price things at.

It's better than what conklin's chargin for em...and alot of other companies I've looked into. It's also a first-year production model and a Prestige, so that's probably another factor.

I would agree that $1200 would be better, but being that it's not 1200, it's still within the realm of reasonably affordable. Hell, a Universe STILL goes for 1600-1800...and it's almost exactly what you described...bolt on, maple neck, basswood body, decent hardware, and IMO...typical shoddy Ibanez electronics.

I'm thinkin it's still pretty reasonable for a first-ever production 8 string.:yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hell, a Universe STILL goes for 1600-1800...and it's almost exactly what you described...bolt on, maple neck, basswood body, decent hardware, and IMO...typical shoddy Ibanez electronics.

Yes and I think the Universe is a ripoff too. I've owned 4 UV's and I've never payed more than $1200 for one. I wonder what the RG2228GK's will go for on the 'bay :) I hear you though, $1499 is not THAT outrageous.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
Haha, I don't think enough people will buy them for them to be a huge success on ebay, and most people who just sell em will probably think it's some "super oh my god special one of 5 of a hundred of a kind!!!!!!!!!"......like the 5 pickup "JAM WITH ME, NOW!!!!!!!!!" guy :rofl:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is $1499 the MSRP or the street price?

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I'm sure the scale length isn't a problem. Ibanez knows what they're doing. There's a reason they produced and passed around two 8-strings to their artists. I'm sure after all the feedback, the general consensus was 27".

Yea meshugah likes 30", but then again, i some guys on this board prefer XL scale 7's, and i don't.

These two 8's have been around for over a year, im sure ibanez has collected plenty of data to come up with a proper reliable design. By the way, the LGM Levithan, which is custom built from user's feedback on jemsite, is 27" scale length too. :agreed: Interesting?

P.S. Darren $1499 is the street price.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I was gunna pay all my credit card bills then move into an apartment. Now i gatta pay my bills, then buy this guitar, THEN move. I planned on moving by february. Looks like it wont be till april now!

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
I was gunna pay all my credit card bills then move into an apartment. Now i gatta pay my bills, then buy this guitar, THEN move. I planned on moving by february. Looks like it wont be till april now!

:lol: I did the same thing to get mine...I've been savin for this thing since October just in case they released it. Finally ordered one last week from GC. :hbang:

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Sweet! I propose a toast. Everyone better have a drink in their hand by 12 midnight! This is a celebration bitches! No but for real, we've all been waiting for this. It's an important day. It will be even more important when they actually arrive, haha!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Haha, I don't think enough people will buy them for them to be a huge success on ebay, and most people who just sell em will probably think it's some "super oh my god special one of 5 of a hundred of a kind!!!!!!!!!"......like the 5 pickup "JAM WITH ME, NOW!!!!!!!!!" guy :rofl:

I disagree. I think a lot of people who buy them, will then soon realize 8-strings isnt for them and move on. So many of the 7-strings I've purchased over the years for cheap were from people who were trying them out and went back to 6s.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
Oh, there will be pics...I'll make sure of that. I'll even wear a speedo and flip-flops and pretend I'm one of those hot models in the Gear Review mags :lol:

Now I'll finally be able to drown out the little wierdo emo kids AND those bastards cranking the bass amps in the back of GC! CHUSSSS!!!! :fawk:

I wonder how this thing will sound through a JSX?:scratch:

I disagree. I think a lot of people who buy them, will then soon realize 8-strings isnt for them and move on. So many of the 7-strings I've purchased over the years for cheap were from people who were trying them out and went back to 6s.

Good point. :agreed: Never thought of that.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Nikt. Even if it is a compromise between 30" and 25.5", it is still going to sound like shit. 27" scale is just not good for soloing in the high registers, and it is not long enough for F# to punch through cleanly.

In all honesty, I think eight strings have to much range to work well without fanned frets. Plus, it is basswood, which is not very good at reproducing lower frequencies. I'll pass.

I'm with noodles. The wood and the scale length just don't do it for me.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I disagree Nikt. Most people who play guitar are used to a 25.5" scale, so an 8-String w/ a 27" will feel a little more natural to them. If you're right though, then hey, one year of a production 8 is better no production at all.

Hit the nail on the head. Fact of the matter is, Ibanez want to make a playable instrument that can (more-or-less) appeal to a larger market. Many, many buyers will be put off by a 30" scale, so Ibanez went with 27" for the playability factor.

And for the record, no one has really confirmed what scale Rusty's 8-string is, but I'm 100% certain it's at least 28" if not 30", judging by how far back the bridge is recessed.

I personally don't care; no one will ever be satisfied unless Ibanez releases a model that caters to all of their tastes. And of course, that'll never happen. I'd definitely love to get one, if it was cheaper, but I give major props to Ibanez for having the balls to make this happen.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I played one of those Mike Mushok Ibanez models with the 28.5 scale or whatever it was...and I thought it was VERY uncomfortable... a noticible difference between 27 to me. Just me though..

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
I played one of those Mike Mushok Ibanez models with the 28.5 scale or whatever it was...and I thought it was VERY uncomfortable... a noticible difference between 27 to me. Just me though..

I really liked that guitar...I didn't have a problem playin it. Now the Fender Jaguar baritone....:noplease: fucking baseball bat!

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I think thinner strings sound better. The strings vibrate more and produce thicker tone. Thicker strings sound more like a distorted bass. 27" is perfect for the average guitar player. By average i dont mean talent, i mean the scale length of the every day player's 6 and 7 string necks. If you want more than 27, ask for an XL version of the guitar, like with the 7 strings. Otherwise accept it as normal.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^ :agreed:

Time will tell, if the 27" RG8 isn't for you, there's other channels to go through to acquire an alternative 8-string.

Ryan

Reaction score
Different pics:

15.jpg
14.jpg

back to bed with me.

')