Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
Different pics:

15.jpg
14.jpg

back to bed with me.

Coolness!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
sorry guys for starting that discusstion but I was just putting my opinion.

I have 25,5 scale 7strings,27scale AX baritone and had donnies 9string ergo that had almost 29'

my opinion was based on some experience with low tuning,and I mean F# or E

so

For me:
27scale 8string guitar is useles.I can't tune it down so low as I would want to and tunning it higher then standard 8string tunning is ....:spock: I would rather buy another 2077XL

peace

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
sorry guys for starting that discusstion but I was just putting my opinion.

I have 25,5 scale 7strings,27scale AX baritone and had donnies 9string ergo that had almost 29'

my opinion was based on some experience with low tuning,and I mean F# or E

so

For me:
27scale 8string guitar is useles.I can't tune it down so low as I would want to and tunning it higher then standard 8string tunning is ....:spock: I would rather buy another 2077XL

peace

That's cool man, it just seems to me at some point one ceases to be playing guitar and begins playing bass. Have you thought of just picking up a 6 string bass? :shred:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
felt cheap ...better 8 string i played at NAMM was the KXK...HOLYSHIT! that is a nice axe

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
That's cool man, it just seems to me at some point one ceases to be playing guitar and begins playing bass. Have you thought of just picking up a 6 string bass? :shred:

yep, and it's not the same.

I like the finish on the new Ibanez though

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
^ I really like the finish on it. What gauge string is the F#? Any good guesses? It looks pretty fat. :scratch:

Galaxy Black is the colour.

The new RG2228 seamed to be the real hit with the player crowd. It had so many fingerprints on it I figure the later high res pics I took will lick the dogs balls, but everybody was having a blast playing, trying to play, or pretending to play it. I can tell you that I could just barely reach the lowest [F#] string anywhere over half scale, and I'm not lacking in the finger length department [and of course everybody knows what else that means.......large gloves!!]. The near 4mm of excess runoff from string edge to fretboard edge was IMO far too much considering the extreme width of the neck already, but, you sure won't be pulling the strings off the edge of the board, if you can reach them to begin with!

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
can someone out there who already owns a 7 string please do a recording of it? simple power chords and whatnot starting from f# working up to B? Second thought, just play "A New Level" by Pantera on the F# string.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
can someone out there who already owns a 7 string please do a recording of it? simple power chords and whatnot starting from f# working up to B? Second thought, just play "A New Level" by Pantera on the F# string.

F# on a 7 string is attainable, but IMO doesn't sound right. The lowest I've been able to tune to is drop F, but the F string doesn't blend well when chorded. And I'm not running stock pups, either, I have a d sonic 7 at the bridge. And my top string is a 70....so I know it's not the string gauge either.

This is why I'm buying the 8 string. I highly doubt Ibanez would put the Prestige name on a guitar that plays like total shit...I have faith in them, their quality has never been an issue for me. I have owned many of their rg 6's and 7's, and I have never had an issue with quality or tone. (except Ibanez's electronics...but hey, even the universe has shitty wiring, :lol: )

The scale seems to be the newest issue....I think it will play just fine. I don't see this as a guitar built for shredders, honestly, so it's really not meant for that in the first place. I think it's more for fat leads and low end response in rhythm playing...along the lines of the AX7221 and RG7321 7 strings. It's a fixed bridge, for one, and it's running the equivalent of an 85 at the bridge. To me, that alone SCREAMS rhythm playing. I can understand someone who likes to solo alot not liking this guitar, it's big, ugly, and just not built for it, :lol:

However...those players that tend to stick to more Fear Factory/Meshuggah-esque playing (ie....ME) are gonna love this thing, I assure you.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just so you know, having a DS7 doesnt guarantee low end clarity. It sounded great with my TriAxis, but through my current amps, it was extremely muddy and woofy with string gauges above 56. Just my experiences...

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
Just so you know, having a DS7 doesnt guarantee low end clarity. It sounded great with my TriAxis, but through my current amps, it was extremely muddy and woofy with string gauges above 56. Just my experiences...

I couldn't get it with a 56....sounded like crap. The lowest I could get w/a 56was G#. I tune down to G right now and it sounds great...I just don't like going any lower because it starts to become less defined and loses something...maybe it's because I play standard 25.5, I don't know, but if I go lower than G, it sounds decent, but definately not great.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh I'm not advocating using a 56, I'm just saying my expriences with the DS7 has been: regardless of tuning, that the low string is muddy as shit with gauges above 56. I've tried 59,60,62 and all were mud city compared to 56 or 54. Whereas the Evo7 sounded great with the 62.

Just giving you a possible reason why your low F# w/ a 70 gauge using a DS7 didnt work out for you. Then again it does differ amp to amp. I know TDW uses a 68 tuned to F and seems to like it.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
Oh I'm not advocating using a 56, I'm just saying my expriences with the DS7 has been: regardless of tuning, that the low string is muddy as shit with gauges above 56. I've tried 59,60,62 and all were mud city compared to 56 or 54. Whereas the Evo7 sounded great with the 62.

Just giving you a possible reason why your low F# w/ a 70 gauge using a DS7 didnt work out for you. Then again it does differ amp to amp. I know TDW uses a 68 tuned to F and seems to like it.

Yeah I've noticed a change based on what amp it's through, actually. My favorite has been the Peavey JSX.

The 70 actually did work best, that's what I was saying. I finally threw a 70 on after going through multiple gauges to get rid of the mud...it worked out well in the end.

I found that the GHS Zakk Wylde 70 set with an extra 46 added in sounds very good in A or G. It's a bit tight in A but it does have great response through my setup.

')