Ibanez RG2228 Thread

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey dudes,
Marten is a sweetheart of a guy, and yeah, he's pretty hefty. In fact, in the many times I've been over there, I've noticed that most Scandinavian men are generally large - much more so than the average North American. Big, strapping dudes most of them. Fredrik is smallest in the band, and he's pretty much the same size as me (I'm 6', 175lbs).

He's generally not into the fine details and specs of their gear as much as he's into the overall general feel and sound, which he can communicate very well, and tell you exactly what he's after. Those 8's are 30", I've played that axe, and had a good inspection of it in detail. Difference is I'm a tech that's into details, and have given a good description of it here near when I first joined. It was just an incredible instrument, so crisp and bell-like tone. Plugged in, sounds monsterous and crushing. :metal: supremely inspiring IMO.

Reactions: Nik

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murder Soul

Reaction score
Hello,
Ive been hearing about this for awhile now. Now I'm a bassist, but I'm coing into guitar, because I like lead, it seems more fun that boring rhythm parts. Now, in bass the same thing is occuring, but not as mainstream. Theirs players with 12 string basses, and the 13 is about to soon be out. Warwick just released a new bass with a .175 F# bass. theirs also this one guy who plays a 13 string guitar thats crazy low. Now with this I see the scale is getting longer, as on ERBs. SO my question is, aren't both bass and guitar almost becoming the same instrument? The one guy with the 13 string guitar had it tuned to "F Natural" at the low end, so I dont know what that is. Today I just found out that theres guitars that go higher than High E and some guy created a bass string that can play at G octave 00. So My final question is, how high and low can guitar go, and when does ERB and ERG become the same thing?

Thanks!

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Hello,
Ive been hearing about this for awhile now. Now I'm a bassist, but I'm coing into guitar, because I like lead, it seems more fun that boring rhythm parts. Now, in bass the same thing is occuring, but not as mainstream. Theirs players with 12 string basses, and the 13 is about to soon be out. Warwick just released a new bass with a .175 F# bass. theirs also this one guy who plays a 13 string guitar thats crazy low. Now with this I see the scale is getting longer, as on ERBs. SO my question is, aren't both bass and guitar almost becoming the same instrument? The one guy with the 13 string guitar had it tuned to "F Natural" at the low end, so I dont know what that is. Today I just found out that theres guitars that go higher than High E and some guy created a bass string that can play at G octave 00. So My final question is, how high and low can guitar go, and when does ERB and ERG become the same thing?

Thanks!

there was a thread on that recently
BTW Garry goodman goes down to C#00 his 12 (not sure thats the right note...but i know its 17 hz)

heavy7-665

Reaction score
God i want this 8. I'm a little wierd though the day after i got my first 7 i heard about 8s and the 7 didn't feel as beasty as i thought

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
I just placed my order for one, so hopefully the wait isnt too long. Music123.com finally put them up on the website.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
not to be annoying or anything put can someone help me tab "straws pulled at random"? and does Meshuggah use any other 8 string tunings besides F?

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
what do you think the emgs will sound like?

I think that they are going to be amazing on heavy as fuck distorted ranges, a nice intonation on the 8th, and a lot of clarity there. But i don't know what's going to happen with the cleans, maybe EMG innovate with some nice cleans here, bue i don't think so.

Just my 2 cents.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from the Musikmesse in Frankfurt. I got the opportunity to play the Ibby 8 through a Thermion stack.

I have to say, it is a damn good guitar. The neck was great and SUPER easy for a 7 stringer to get used to. I don't have huge hands but was still able to easily wrap my thumb around the neck and play exactly like I do on my baritone 7. Speaking of scale, compared to my 28.625" it was VERY easy to play, and the strings had all kinds of bend to them. Build quality was what you would expect from a Prestige model.

And the EMGs... WOW! I'm getting my hands on some of those for my next guitar from Mike. They were fucking tight.

If I had never heard of Mike Sherman I would definitely be adding one of these to my collection, but Mike's build quality is just so far above and beyond that level that I'm sticking with him.

Side note: the Xiphos is very cool, well balanced and easy to play, and the S7320 with the new trem... very sweet. The Thermion had a pretty nice tone too.

JCNY

Reaction score
I'm wondering how well balanced it is.......

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I just got back from the Musikmesse in Frankfurt. I got the opportunity to play the Ibby 8 through a Thermion stack.

I have to say, it is a damn good guitar. The neck was great and SUPER easy for a 7 stringer to get used to. I don't have huge hands but was still able to easily wrap my thumb around the neck and play exactly like I do on my baritone 7. Speaking of scale, compared to my 28.625" it was VERY easy to play, and the strings had all kinds of bend to them. Build quality was what you would expect from a Prestige model.

And the EMGs... WOW! I'm getting my hands on some of those for my next guitar from Mike. They were fucking tight.

If I had never heard of Mike Sherman I would definitely be adding one of these to my collection, but Mike's build quality is just so far above and beyond that level that I'm sticking with him.

Side note: the Xiphos is very cool, well balanced and easy to play, and the S7320 with the new trem... very sweet. The Thermion had a pretty nice tone too.

Wow, that sounds awesome! How well did the 27" scale accomodate the low F#? When you say that the strings had all kinds of bend to them, do you mean that they were a tad loose... ?

It's almost April, shouldn't people who pre-order start getting these already? I'd love a review on the SS.ORG forums with the necessary plethora of pics :agreed:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
The low end was great through the Thermion.

I didn't think that the strings were too loose. I was just pleasantly surprised at how good it felt to play at that scale length. I tuned my 28.625" to F# and it was way tighter, too tight on some of the higher strings, so I detuned while I'm waiting for musiciansfriend to get my string order to me. Now that I'm in E instead of F#, I'm really liking it. IMO the Ibby had a very similar feel to my baritone tuned to E and that is a damn good thing.

')