Ibanez RG2228 Thread

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Nice aport, Charlie. I'm very intrigued about the Ibby 8, and how it's going to sound.

We only just have to wait only a month :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
i quess they would have like 9-54 + a 70 on there, do you think that 10-52 + 60 + 70(75) would be too tight

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
did the same thing as urklvt, went to Ibanez at Musikmesse and checked out the S7321 and RG2228.
the S was really cool and, well, the 8, too :)

playing it was no problem at all. I mean, of course you'll need a bit of time to get used to it if your not used to an 8, but wtf...
the neck is wide of course, but I though it wasnt all that much of a difference to a 7 and the profile is your typical thin Ibby profile so it was pretty comfortable to play. about the scale-length: same experience I had on the ESP Carpenter sig, I hardly felt the difference at all.
I thought the low strings were a bit too loose, but thats a matter of preferance of course. build-quallity seemed fine so no problems there.
I didnt like the Thermion though... :noplease: I didnt really manage to get a distortion sound that I liked out of it. clean-sound was fine however so I dont think it was the guitar. we (me and my friend) both thought it would sound much better through the Powerball rig (yes, we're ENGL-fans)

so, final conclusion: 8 strings are an option for me :) (though my friend doesnt understand why I would get one lol)

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i quess they would have like 9-54 + a 70 on there, do you think that 10-52 + 60 + 70(75) would be too tight

At 27" a 70 would be just too floppy, I've gotten just enough tension on a 28" with an .85 bass string to get a good solid tone. After playing around with different guages on both ends of the scale - 25.5" and 28" - I'm going to go with an .80 for the low F (yes, 1/2 step down) when mine comes in. That should be just about right with the tension for 27" IMO.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool little review, Hexer. I haven't played any of those yet, im waiting for the local music store here to get the new S which should be next week. No 8 though. I told him to order one anyway. Maybe he will. :yesway:

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
sidenote: there was this other guy playing the 8 for a while before I got my hands on it. he was trying to tune it.... with the headstock tuners.....:scratch:

the neck really feels like a 6-string bass in width. it isnt that much wider than a 7s neck so dont be afraid of that
what I DID have problems with though was hanging the guitar back to its place because the neck was so wide it barely fitted in the holder :lol:

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody get a definite confirmation that these will begin shipping in April? Ive seen just about every other highly contested '07 shipped but not a 2228 yet. I preordered mine thru music123.com but they are notoriously slow and I cant get a commitment on ship date yet. I noticed Samash pulled the "due in April" part of thier item listing as well. Anybody hear anything?

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Having the first offical Canuck order, I've been keeping in touch with our distributor for some time now, and they're telling me a realistic date that was told to them was late May delivery of the first units.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
he was trying to tune it.... with the headstock tuners.....:scratch:

I've done that with locking nut guitars before (out of habit, most axes I handle don't have locking nuts), but then I realise what's up and start using the knobs at the bridge instead.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
He really should have put heavier strings on or raised the action or something before those videos, sounds like his strings are just flapping around :lol:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;454790 said:
I've done that with locking nut guitars before (out of habit, most axes I handle don't have locking nuts), but then I realise what's up and start using the knobs at the bridge instead.

I almost always tune with my headstock tuners :scratch: I hate fiddling with those damn fine-tuners...

Sounds like the neck issues with the 8s are taking a bit longer to iron out...

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
Geez... I haven't been able to be on here in a while. I figured someone would actually have an Ibby 8 in their hands by now...

:scratch:

knuckle_head

Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding how they can't get a stable neck - there've been electric 12 strings for decades.

:noplease:

')