Ibanez RG2228 Thread

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
In reality, there is no special tooling changes for EMG as they already were tooled for the shell and spacing. I`m sure most of the tweaking was needed in the preamp.

You know that, I know that, and I think it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain. I really wish I hadn't lost the email reply I got from EMG a couple of years back stating the opposite.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Bwahah! Found it -

EMG said:
Hello;

Try the 40CS. The CS has steel inserts, which change the coil
inductance. This results in a warmer tone. Our active stuff has a pretty
flat response as a rule, so using a bass pickup for a guitar will still
work fine. I've personally used guitar pickups in basses/ and vice versa,
with good results.

In order to make an 8 string guitar pickup, we'd have to get new tooling
for the coil bobbins. This will cost approximately 25 thousand dollars, so
my employer is hesitant to spend that kind of money for a single pickup.

Unless you'd like to send me a check. ;-)

Best Regards,

Rick Hunt
Tech Support
EMG Pickups

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
EMG said:
In order to make an 8 string guitar pickup, we'd have to get new tooling
for the coil bobbins. This will cost approximately 25 thousand dollars, so
my employer is hesitant to spend that kind of money for a single pickup.

:holy: 25Gs!! Good lord that seems a might bit high. And people around here thought USACG asking price for CNC programming was high. :lol:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I just got off the phone with Rick @ EMG.

Here is the deal with the 808`s. They are making them, and the first run that were made will not be the same as the final version. The first run of these have Alnico individual pole pieces placed side by side. The final version will have Alnico blades and they are waiting for them. Rick couldn`t give me a definative answer as to when they will arrive, but he gave me the impression it would be a while before the pups are available again.

They are using the 707 preamp the 808`s.

When I told him I had 4 of them, he chuckled and said "hoard them....you have more than we have right now":lol:

So the first run of 808`s are fine for parallel fret instruments, but not for fanned fret instruments unless you mount the pups vertical.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I need a date dammit! I NEEED THIS GUITAR! Why do you toy with my emotions!:scream:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I`m sure they initially had no plans on making 8 string pups, but when a large OEM like Ibanez approaches you for pups for an instrument that will be in production, that can change quickly.

In reality, there is no special tooling changes for EMG as they already were tooled for the shell and spacing. I`m sure most of the tweaking was needed in the preamp.

I agree!

The thing is, I would have imagined that with an estimated delivery date of March '07, that EMG would have known about the pickups they needed to make by March '06. Of course, we know that the guitar is being postponed, so anything could have happened.

The economics of production sure seems like a complicated thing. $25k to put an existing preamp in an existing housing with existing magnets and guts seems a tad bit steep to me, but I never owned my own production line before.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Music123 seems to think they will have these by June 15th? Did the time tables get moved up or are they talking from thier azz?

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
June? September?

I'm confoozed...:scratch:

My local Ibanez dealer said Ibanez are already delivering RG2228's if you put a deposit down. It's just that there's a HUGE backorder for some unexplained reason... :rant: :rolleyes: :lol:

Latest posts

')