Ibanez RG2228 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I just played one of these 2228s at a local store... I gotta say, I did not dig it. It played great, neck and fretboard wise, the bridge felt cool, but the low F# sounded awful. Flubby flubby flubby, the Mike Mushok sounded and felt ten times better in F# than the 2228 does.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
It definitely needs a heavier gauge for the F#. I played one at a Sam Ash by me and I completely agree, the .65 is too flabby for that scale, it needs a .70 at least.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I own one and i must say at first it was very muddy with the 66s that were on it. But after adjusting my tone a little bit it turned out a little better. I have yet to put anything thicker on it

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Fucking no one sells .070 guage strings. Juststrings is Out of stock too. Guys at GC were like huh? what? Guy in the Ibanez shirt didnt even know they made an 8 String.......

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fucking no one sells .070 guage strings. Juststrings is Out of stock too. Guys at GC were like huh? what? Guy in the Ibanez shirt didnt even know they made an 8 String.......

What? One of these would make this guitar sound exponentially better:

1) Elixir Electric NanoWeb Coating .068, 15268

2) Elixir Electric Bass NanoWeb Coating .070, 15370

3) Elixir Electric Bass NanoWeb Coating .075, 15375

this guitar needs thick strings to show the true tone that is possible out of it IMO

No it just needs good sounding strings. The .065 Ibanez puts on there stock is very light for F#, but if they used a better sounding string it would sound fine (just wouldn't necessarily feel great).

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping to put a D'addario 70 on it, i ordered some but were out of stock. But Elixir Bass? Is that ideal?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping to put a D'addario 70 on it, i ordered some but were out of stock. But Elixir Bass? Is that ideal?

Yes. The Elixir NanoWeb bass strings sound/feel exactly like NanoWeb guitar strings; which are punchy, bright, and everlasting. Not thin or overly bright either like some brands. Also great smooth feel and zero string-squeak. I currently have their bass .065 on my custom 7, and their bass .060 on my custom 6. Love 'em. For an 8-string in F# I would use their guitar NanoWeb .068 or their bass NanoWeb .070. Since the guitar string would be cheaper I'd try that 1st.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm tempted to bring in one of my leftover 68s and restring it right there in the store so I can try it out, because the guitar played sooo nice other than that flubby 8th string.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. The Elixir NanoWeb bass strings sound/feel exactly like NanoWeb guitar strings; which are punchy, bright, and everlasting. Not thin or overly bright either like some brands. Also great smooth feel and zero string-squeak. I currently have their bass .065 on my custom 7, and their bass .060 on my custom 6. Love 'em. For an 8-string in F# I would use their guitar NanoWeb .068 or their bass NanoWeb .070. Since the guitar string would be cheaper I'd try that 1st.

I ordered some last night and YAAAAYY out of stock too...mother f...........

Oh well looks like i have 2 different strings on order now, coming on 2 seperate shipments with 2x the shipping fees.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
So i put a Nanoweb 68 on the low F# and WOW what a difference

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
A 68? Fuck, I used a 0.75 and It was floppy.

Sure the core was really thin.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Firstly, i thought i'd post this in here since its a small matter instead of making a new thread and cluttering up the place. Soooooo....

.....Got this baby last week and love it to bits, although i thought i'd add the old binding trick. I liked it at first but im kinda not sure about it.

CopyofDSC01798.jpg

What you guys think? Yey or Ney?

Gaz

')