Ibanez RG2228 Thread

Splees

splees
Reaction score
quick question, are these still going to be made in japan? some oneeee said the only prestige made in japan now is the S... :S

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splees

splees
Reaction score
Oh PHEWW. I won't feel so bad about picking one up for 1200 now.... that seems to be a pretty good used price. I don't know. The carpenter is closer to what i'd like.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn good deal. But yeah the Carpenter is the same for me. Spec and look wise. Overall i love the 2228 but im just not a fan of Basswood....or fixed trems....or bolt ons.....Or Ibanez lol. I plan to sell the Ibby to get the ESP when its out.

Whenever the fuck may be lol

Splees

splees
Reaction score
I know Ibanez has really let me down lately. If it's anything like the 1527 I know it'll be a bummer for me. The whole time i owned I spent my time trying to convince myself how great it was. I played a 607 a few years ago when they first came out... it seemed MUCH BETTER than the 1527. I mean, it fit my needs better.

I think I'm going to hold out for the carpenter too.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
Anyone in Europe want to sell their Rg2228? I went to ask the Finnish Esp dealer about the sc608b, and they're not ordering them, and if they do, it'll take at least two months for it to arrive, and they can't even give me a price estimation. So I guess I either have to get a Sc608b from abroad from e.g. Thomann or then get the Rg2228.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I know this thread hasnt seen any action in a while, but if anyone is interested I'm selling my RG2228 (UK) if anyone is interested. If anyone wants a cheap 8 string in excellent condition, click the link in my signature and PM me!

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arktan and I both believe the 2228 would benefit from a wilder paintjob. So, this was born:

RG2228.png

Hopefully he goes through with it. :evil:

HANIAK

Reaction score
Arktan and I both believe the 2228 would benefit from a wilder paintjob. So, this was born:

RG2228.png

Hopefully he goes through with it. :evil:

I usualy don't like colourful guitars, but this idea is awesome!
Looking at it feels like an hallucination, eheh

Tuned2F

Spider Pig
Reaction score
Just wanted to let some of you know about my issues with my RG2228.

As far as the guitar goes, I love it. The EMG's are great. Definitely the best active pickup to date. It can go from a jazzy clean to the full on metal tone easily. The neck is a bit wide at first, took me quite a bit of time, but I'm a rather small guy (5'8''), and I guess you could imagine the guitar is a bit on the heavy side. Probably about the weight of a Les Paul, it sits much better however. The standard strings and stock setup is quite terrible. When I first got mine I probably spent an hour fine tuning it. A month later I changed strings. When tightening up a new F# string (.80) the saddle cracked into about 3-4 peices.

Ibanez has pretty lame customer support, it took over 2 months for me to get the saddle replaced. Also, an 80 guage string will not fit through the standard tuning peg. It will take a little drilling, to make it fit.

WannaBeGuitarPr

Seven String Newbie
Reaction score
Firstly, i thought i'd post this in here since its a small matter instead of making a new thread and cluttering up the place. Soooooo....

.....Got this baby last week and love it to bits, although i thought i'd add the old binding trick. I liked it at first but im kinda not sure about it.

CopyofDSC01798.jpg

What you guys think? Yey or Ney?

Gaz

looks great
how did you do that?

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to let some of you know about my issues with my RG2228.

As far as the guitar goes, I love it. The EMG's are great. Definitely the best active pickup to date. It can go from a jazzy clean to the full on metal tone easily. The neck is a bit wide at first, took me quite a bit of time, but I'm a rather small guy (5'8''), and I guess you could imagine the guitar is a bit on the heavy side. Probably about the weight of a Les Paul, it sits much better however. The standard strings and stock setup is quite terrible. When I first got mine I probably spent an hour fine tuning it. A month later I changed strings. When tightening up a new F# string (.80) the saddle cracked into about 3-4 peices.

Ibanez has pretty lame customer support, it took over 2 months for me to get the saddle replaced. Also, an 80 guage string will not fit through the standard tuning peg. It will take a little drilling, to make it fit.

It might be too late but... don't drill the tuner, just unwrap the string till you get a little past the tuner, it works fine that way.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never understood that whole 'unwrap the string' thing. Then you have to screw with it every time you change strings, versus 5 minutes with a drill and never have to worry about it again :shrug:

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
True.

But i'm so lazy that i can't be bothered to do the drilling to save me time in the long run. :lol:

As for the binding on the Rg2228, i used automotive pinstriping tape. 6mm for the body and 3mm for the headstock. It just sticks on and can be peeled off anytime without damaging the guitar.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Many, many people have done it before either he or I did, so I'm pretty sure you're okay on doing it without asking permission. :yesway:

')