Ibanez RG2228 Thread

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
just ordered a 0.072' for my F#.... hope it'll be enuf for me...

I wish custom pickguards come easy in my country, really wanna go passives...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
haha... why would u guys wanna trade away those awesome guitars?

before this i wanted to sell my 7620 to get 2228 but changed my mind... the more i play my rg7, the more i appreciate it being close to my belly... and started to think back of all the days and gigs that she has been with me... of how much relationship has grown between me and my rg7...

Getting the 2228 was like having a new member in my family... would u trade ur kid for another kid coz the other kid has more hair?

hahahaha...

Metal with soft feelings... like a gentle breeze caressing your skin....

Gordan

Grazyn
Reaction score
I am getting annoying fret buzz on the eight string of my Ibanez RG2228 Guitar. Higher 7 strings (E-B) are working properly and tight without fret buzz, only the eight string (F#) makes terrible fret buzz/dead sloppy notes. I use factory 9-65 gauges yet. Could you help me about that ? Thanx !

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
i find the factory strings are too floppy by any standards....

suggest u get new heavier gauge for ur 8th.... and check ur neck for straightness on the 8th side... i found mine to be straight on the high side but slightly bowed on the 8th side...

I_infect

Reaction score
I am getting annoying fret buzz on the eight string of my Ibanez RG2228 Guitar. Higher 7 strings (E-B) are working properly and tight without fret buzz, only the eight string (F#) makes terrible fret buzz/dead sloppy notes. I use factory 9-65 gauges yet. Could you help me about that ? Thanx !

9-54 with a 72 F#:yesway:

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
me going for 10-56 (maybe 58s soon) and 72 for the 8th... still waiting for them strings...

Whiskey_Funeral

Reaction score
So I might possibly be about to get one of these in a trade for quite a bargain (an Ibanez RG520SQ w/EMG's+ RG7421 w/Dimarzios + $400. The dude was only asking $1000 cash for it), and I've got a couple of questions if anyone could help me.

I've seen a few posts where the bridges on the RGA8's pop out of the body and the anchor screw is torn out. Anything like that been known to happen with the higher end 8's?
And are the fine tuners obstructive in any way?

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
So I might possibly be about to get one of these in a trade for quite a bargain (an Ibanez RG520SQ w/EMG's+ RG7421 w/Dimarzios + $400. The dude was only asking $1000 cash for it), and I've got a couple of questions if anyone could help me.

I've seen a few posts where the bridges on the RGA8's pop out of the body and the anchor screw is torn out. Anything like that been known to happen with the higher end 8's?
And are the fine tuners obstructive in any way?

I've played an RGA8 and just got an RG2228 the other day and the 2228 is rock solid. No problems with the bridge and the fine tuners are so far back on the bridge assembly that if you have an issue with them there is something odd about your technique in the first place.

As far as strings are concerned for the posters above, I have a 70 for my 8th string tuned to E and its solid enough for what I need to do. Not super tight for trem picking or anything like that though. A .068 is the biggest string that will fit in the stock tuner BTW.

splinter8451

Reaction score
haha... why would u guys wanna trade away those awesome guitars?

before this i wanted to sell my 7620 to get 2228 but changed my mind... the more i play my rg7, the more i appreciate it being close to my belly... and started to think back of all the days and gigs that she has been with me... of how much relationship has grown between me and my rg7...

Getting the 2228 was like having a new member in my family... would u trade ur kid for another kid coz the other kid has more hair?

hahahaha...

Metal with soft feelings... like a gentle breeze caressing your skin....

I have no use for my Jem anymore :shrug:

It gets NO play time anymore, it sits in the corner while I play my... wait for it.... RG7321 all day. :lol: I went from the top of the line Ibanez 6 to the lowest end 7 string and it totally took over all my time.

I figure someone else can be getting much better use out of it.

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
haha... kindda understand why...

but for me.. i would just keep it for what it is... cheers dude...

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Quick question:

I'm gonna be getting my RGA 8 soon, I was wondering if you guys could give me advise on what set of strings to get (because string tension calculators>me). I want atleast an 0.10 on the high E and not more than a .74 on the F#. My main problem is that I hope the string tension is big enough to intonate properly. If need be I could always get a .80 for the F# but I'de really rather not unless it's necassary for intonation.

Can anyone help me out?

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
10-46 (standard)
58 or 60 (for B)
70 or 72 (for F#) (I would use bass strings)

But thats just me...

I have a 80 now for my f# and it sucks... it does;'nt balance out with the rest of the strings in terms of tension and size...

Kelly

MelodicDream Catcher
Reaction score
good to hear... .56 for B is still fine i guess...

all boils down to what u'd prefer...

Cheers

KenAncients

Reaction score
So after two months of owning this thing I like it, but I don't love it. It's tuned up to A,E,A,D,G,B,E,A and with that tuning the 27 inch scale isn't a necessity by any means. I think the paint job on it is the closest thing to twilight on a guitar i'll ever see ever. I feel like I'm licking Edwards nipples every time I play it. The locking tremelo is not needed since I tune up. I understand a low F sharp could be bettered controlled with it, but in drop A I'm fine. The bolt on makes it look tacky from the back but I understand the reasoning due to its insanely thin neck (imo). I'm wanting a custom 8 string with a 25 inch scale for my tuning in A, and i'll experiment with a low F sharp on the RG2228. Also, I've supported EMG pickups thru-out my career and have defended them to thru countless attacks but these EMG 808s are terrible imo. I've tried for hours searching for a good tone thru multiple amps, but I can't find clarity on the low A string. After I order my custom i'll get Blackouts for the RG2228 but even that is just me hoping for something better out of this 2,000 dollar guitar.

priest_crucifix

\m/hammersmashedface
Reaction score
hi, well I'm new to 7 string guitars and i just wanted some help on picking one out , i play technical deathmetal such as necrophagist. i need a guitar that has emgs and can handle speed with a term bar , can u guys plz help i would really appreciate it , thanx again

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
hi, well I'm new to 7 string guitars and i just wanted some help on picking one out , i play technical deathmetal such as necrophagist. i need a guitar that has emgs and can handle speed with a term bar , can u guys plz help i would really appreciate it , thanx again

dude... this is an 8 string thread.
:wallbash:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Has anyone switched out the emg's for blackouts?

Definitely thinking about doing it since i love the way they sound in my 7.

')