Ibanez rg2550z

• Thread starter mZappaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mZappaz

Reaction score
I have a good deal on one at a local music store. 1016CAD i think its brand new and hes throwing in a hard moulded case. I cant find them on the ibanez website its too bad. heres a picture tell me what you think do you think its a good buy. Basswood body, 5 ply neck, dimarzio pickups, edge pro tremolo, looks like a stage guitar really sparkly and has the purple pickguard. Its a prestige guitar w.e that means anyways ibanez rg2550z is what its called and this ones got an edge pro tremolo. I loved it and this deal seems pretty tight. So tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• 352c129cec0c1b32d5d0c8694942bc51.jpg
    352c129cec0c1b32d5d0c8694942bc51.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 37

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's the one with the Edge Pro than it's the RG2550E and not the RG2550Z, as for not finding it on the Ibanez site it was a model from 07'. You can see some better pictures of it here: IBANEZ RULES!! NAMM 2007 RG/RGA PRESTIGE

As for the price, I'm not sure how much these went for originally in Canada, but that price seems quite high, seeing as the list price for the US was $1173.72, and they sold for $899.99 in stores. Keep in mind that the case was included with the guitar when it was originally purchased, so it's not being "thrown in" it's a part of the deal. If they're saying the case is extra, they're full of shit.

As for what "Prestige" means, it basically means it's on the upper end of the Ibanez spectrum, using the better pickups and hardware they offer, as well as being made to better standards in Japan. Look at as the difference between a Mexican made Fender Strat, and a US made Fender Strat. While the specs may be similar, one has some obviously better aspects.

mZappaz

Reaction score
If it's the one with the Edge Pro than it's the RG2550E and not the RG2550Z, as for not finding it on the Ibanez site it was a model from 07'. You can see some better pictures of it here: IBANEZ RULES!! NAMM 2007 RG/RGA PRESTIGE

As for the price, I'm not sure how much these went for originally in Canada, but that price seems quite high, seeing as the list price for the US was $1173.72, and they sold for $899.99 in stores. Keep in mind that the case was included with the guitar when it was originally purchased, so it's not being "thrown in" it's a part of the deal. If they're saying the case is extra, they're full of shit.

As for what "Prestige" means, it basically means it's on the upper end of the Ibanez spectrum, using the better pickups and hardware they offer, as well as being made to better standards in Japan. Look at as the difference between a Mexican made Fender Strat, and a US made Fender Strat. While the specs may be similar, one has some obviously better aspects.

The price i listed was after taxes and everything before tax its 929.99 and he marked it down to 899.99. thanks for the definition of prestige. and yes the guy there said it only comes with a soft case but they have a hard case that fits it in the back. If it is a 2007 model then why is it soo new looking and how did they JUST get it in i have been to that store allot and about a week ago it was not there and they said "we just got this one in its quite nice as well and its not green" (i was playing a green one similar to it and it was ugly as hell but i liked the feel of the guitar so they showed me this one). anyways would you buy it?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The price i listed was after taxes and everything before tax its 929.99 and he marked it down to 899.99. thanks for the definition of prestige. and yes the guy there said it only comes with a soft case but they have a hard case that fits it in the back. If it is a 2007 model then why is it soo new looking and how did they JUST get it in i have been to that store allot and about a week ago it was not there and they said "we just got this one in its quite nice as well and its not green" (i was playing a green one similar to it and it was ugly as hell but i liked the feel of the guitar so they showed me this one). anyways would you buy it?

It could have been back stock from the distributor's inventory, it's not that rare for a model from a couple years back to show up new, though if it was in a softcase, something tells me it's not really new, but "like new". The fact of the matter is, they stopped production on that guitar in October of 2007. That's the absolute newest it could possibly be, just look at the serial number.

If they received it new they got the hardcase with the guitar, as it is meant by Ibanez to be sold with the guitar AT NO EXTRA COST. If the guitar did not come with the hardcase then it is NOT new.

I had an RG2570E, which is basically this without a pickguard and it was one of my favorite Ibanez 6-strings. The neck was amazing, the fretwork was great, and even the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups weren't too bad. If you like it, and it's in your budget, go for it.

For the record the case should look like this:
teamjcraftcase.jpg

They aren't available separate.

mZappaz

Reaction score
It could have been back stock from the distributor's inventory, it's not that rare for a model from a couple years back to show up new, though if it was in a softcase, something tells me it's not really new, but "like new". The fact of the matter is, they stopped production on that guitar in October of 2007. That's the absolute newest it could possibly be, just look at the serial number.

If they received it new they got the hardcase with the guitar, as it is meant by Ibanez to be sold with the guitar AT NO EXTRA COST. If the guitar did not come with the hardcase then it is NOT new.

I had an RG2570E, which is basically this without a pickguard and it was one of my favorite Ibanez 6-strings. The neck was amazing, the fretwork was great, and even the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups weren't too bad. If you like it, and it's in your budget, go for it.

For the record the case should look like this:
teamjcraftcase.jpg

They aren't available separate.

Yah thats the case. idk if im going to jump the gun yet especially since the guy lied about the case being extra ( well maybe he just said it comes with a really nice case but he made it seem like he was doing us a big favour and taking 30 dollars off isnt really that big. ). i have it on hold i was going to go buy it tomorrow. but i have other options i suppose like the lower end s series guitars. would you buy an s series guitar before this one? or an ibanez 1570? your guitar is also for sale for 100 less but its in a greenish colour which im not digging at all. and didnt seem as loud when playing it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yah thats the case. idk if im going to jump the gun yet especially since the guy lied about the case being extra ( well maybe he just said it comes with a really nice case but he made it seem like he was doing us a big favour and taking 30 dollars off isnt really that big. ). i have it on hold i was going to go buy it tomorrow. but i have other options i suppose like the lower end s series guitars. would you buy an s series guitar before this one? or an ibanez 1570? your guitar is also for sale for 100 less but its in a greenish colour which im not digging at all. and didnt seem as loud when playing it.

The lower end Sabers (S-series), while pretty nice, will need a bit of work to bring them to the level of playability of the nicer Japanese made Sabers and RG's. They're not bad by any means though.

As for the RG1570, it's basically a stripped down version of the RG2550E, they have the same necks and trems, just different routes (the RG1570 is rear routed, thus no pickguard), and pickups.

mZappaz

Reaction score
The lower end Sabers (S-series), while pretty nice, will need a bit of work to bring them to the level of playability of the nicer Japanese made Sabers and RG's. They're not bad by any means though.

As for the RG1570, it's basically a stripped down version of the RG2550E, they have the same necks and trems, just different routes (the RG1570 is rear routed, thus no pickguard), and pickups.

Which is better for sustain rear routed or front routed? i couldnt see there being much difference though. well pickups arent a big deal to me. so lets say pickups are out of the question. would you go with the Rg or the saber?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which is better for sustain rear routed or front routed? i couldnt see there being much difference though. well pickups arent a big deal to me. so lets say pickups are out of the question. would you go with the Rg or the saber?

The routing doesn't really matter when it comes to sustain. Nearly the same amount of wood is removed.

I'd still go for the RG if you're comparing a Prestige to a Standard series. The Saber will not be as well made, and the grade of wood used will be lower.

mZappaz

Reaction score
The routing doesn't really matter when it comes to sustain. Nearly the same amount of wood is removed.

I'd still go for the RG if you're comparing a Prestige to a Standard series. The Saber will not be as well made, and the grade of wood used will be lower.

Are there prestige s series guitars that cost less then the one im looking at wich is 899 before tax?

mZappaz

Reaction score
bought it, im liking it sounds nothing like my les paul but its cool.

Latest posts

')