Ibanez RG350 ... should it be this cheap?

• Thread starter Zerox8610
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Same guitar. The RG350's are pretty nice guitars for the price, especially THAT price. I'd jump on it dude. That blue finish looks much nicer in real life as well.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Look at the blue model... Is this guitar on sale or is there something I'm missing???
Ibanez RG350MYE Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

It's 250 while the other model is still 430

If this is the same guitar I might jump on it. Always wanted an Ibanez

I've actually have the Starlight Blue (SLB) model waiting for me at home right now. Sweetwater had the same price, but the different color. I'll probably post a NGD about when I've had a chance to set it up and play with it.

The way I see it though, at that price, how can you go wrong? Once the sale is over, you could probably still sell it used for what you paid for it if you don't care for it (or at least not lose much).

/EDIT - I see that the the SLB is the discounted model at Musician's Friend, I saw the Yellow in the title and assumed MF was running same special but different color.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
They are solid guitars. The wiz II kind of sucks but its nothing sandpaper wont get rid of.

I wouldn't know where to begin with sanding that hahaha

EDIT: Just jumped on it, if anyone cares I'll post pictures when it shows up.

I expect this guitar will end up heavily modded ;D

dres_x

Reaction score
I think these new ones all have the wizIII neck! Still edgeIII tho :/

Please post pics of the blue one! I'm really close to jumping on this haha but I've never seen the blue in person...would rather have the yellow but at this price it's awfully tempting

Zerox8610

Reaction score
I think these new ones all have the wizIII neck! Still edgeIII tho :/

Please post pics of the blue one! I'm really close to jumping on this haha but I've never seen the blue in person...would rather have the yellow but at this price it's awfully tempting

It'll be 5-8 days. I'll expect it by Friday next week.

Dunno how long this sale is lasting, so you might wanna jump on it. They have a MF thanksgiving code too. So I got mine for 220. The code's "givethanks" if you care.

Good luck :D

dres_x

Reaction score
It'll be 5-8 days. I'll expect it by Friday next week.

Dunno how long this sale is lasting, so you might wanna jump on it. They have a MF thanksgiving code too. So I got mine for 220. The code's "givethanks" if you care.

Good luck :D

Ah ok. I'm trying to see if SW will ship to Canada (they have the same deal) because MF won't...

Mordacain

Reaction score
So I've been ripping away on my 350M SLB for the last couple of hours and here are my first impressions:

• Neck profile is very nice. Not as thin as the last Prestige Wizard neck I had (an RG2570) but overall more comfortable. The Satin finish feels identical to my Fender Standard Strat and is pretty much non-existent so no drag like some painted or glossy necks I've played. I will likely take some steel-wool to it and tung-oil it at some point though I feel no immediate need to do so.
  • The fretwork is passable; shaping is decent (certainly not great) but the level seems good and there are no sharp fret edges. I've played worse from Indonesia for sure.
  • Pickups are passable, though like most Ibby neck pickups, the INF3 (neck) is quite muddy once you move it to a normal height (it ships way too close to the strings); I have a Zebra Air Norton ready to replace it. The INFS3 (middle single) is decent but fairly boring and lacks any good single coil character; I have either a Dimarzio Red or Blue Velvet ready to replace it. The INF4 (bridge) is ok, though a little fizzy and undefined; this one I'll need to purchase a replacement for, either a Steve's Special or my default ToneZone.
  • The Edge III I actually really like. Usually I hate double-locking trems but I actually prefer this to the Floyd Rose Special I last used. Honestly, I have no complaints so far. I did have to tweak the trem-arm tightness but that's to be expected.
  • The Starlight Blue color I absolutely love. It reminds me quite a bit of Fender's Lake Placid Blue, but darker; it looks great under a little light.
  • The maple fretboard is exceptionally light-colored, which I love though it will get wear spots pretty quickly. It looks like a 3-piece neck (which I prefer for stability) and does not have a scarf-joint as far as I can tell. Fretboard is a separate piece of maple.
I'll see about getting some pictures in the daylight sometime Friday.

Aesthetically, the only thing I'm not sure on is the black pickguard, I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer white on this particular axe.

For $250 I am seriously pleased. I actually prefer it to my 2570 (which was my last Ibby RG). Its certainly on par with my MIM Fender Standard quality-wise and is half the cost. I should add that SweetWater got it shipped to my door in two days flat (ordered it late Monday afternoon) which is impressive for standard shipping.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
So I've been ripping away on my 350M SLB for the last couple of hours and here are my first impressions:

• Neck profile is very nice. Not as thin as the last Prestige Wizard neck I had (an RG2570) but overall more comfortable. The Satin finish feels identical to my Fender Standard Strat and is pretty much non-existent so no drag like some painted or glossy necks I've played. I will likely take some steel-wool to it and tung-oil it at some point though I feel no immediate need to do so.
  • The fretwork is passable; shaping is decent (certainly not great) but the level seems good and there are no sharp fret edges. I've played worse from Indonesia for sure.
  • Pickups are passable, though like most Ibby neck pickups, the INF3 (neck) is quite muddy once you move it to a normal height (it ships way too close to the strings); I have a Zebra Air Norton ready to replace it. The INFS3 (middle single) is decent but fairly boring and lacks any good single coil character; I have either a Dimarzio Red or Blue Velvet ready to replace it. The INF4 (bridge) is ok, though a little fizzy and undefined; this one I'll need to purchase a replacement for, either a Steve's Special or my default ToneZone.
  • The Edge III I actually really like. Usually I hate double-locking trems but I actually prefer this to the Floyd Rose Special I last used. Honestly, I have no complaints so far. I did have to tweak the trem-arm tightness but that's to be expected.
  • The Starlight Blue color I absolutely love. It reminds me quite a bit of Fender's Lake Placid Blue, but darker; it looks great under a little light.
  • The maple fretboard is exceptionally light-colored, which I love though it will get wear spots pretty quickly. It looks like a 3-piece neck (which I prefer for stability) and does not have a scarf-joint as far as I can tell. Fretboard is a separate piece of maple.
I'll see about getting some pictures in the daylight sometime Friday.

Aesthetically, the only thing I'm not sure on is the black pickguard, I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer white on this particular axe.

For $250 I am seriously pleased. I actually prefer it to my 2570 (which was my last Ibby RG). Its certainly on par with my MIM Fender Standard quality-wise and is half the cost. I should add that SweetWater got it shipped to my door in two days flat (ordered it late Monday afternoon) which is impressive for standard shipping.

Very nice!! Can't wait to get mine!
Looks like I'll definitely have some fun with this baby

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
The 2011 models come with the new Edge Zero II trem instead of the Edge III, that might be one reason for the discount.

If you don't like it, you can easily replace it with the Edge Pro, which is MIJ. I've just done this with one of my lower end Ibbys and don't regret it. The bolts you're locking the strings with on the Edge III tend to break, so be easy on them. There are replacement bolts for them, though... check this post: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2748901-post42.html

Justin7

Reaction score
Just bought it. Thanks for the heads up on the sweet deal. Do you guys think that replacing it with high quality dimarzio's or bareknuckles would be a good upgrade?

ibanice

Reaction score
I think you should replace them with a pair of Dimarzios. It would be worth it ;)

Zerox8610

Reaction score
BKP seem a bit over rated around here.... They may be just fantastic pickups, idk. But everyone and their brother is using them it seems.

ALSO, the comment on the Edge Pro replacement... Sweet idea, but I was looking at prices on the trem itself and holy sh*t!!! Those trems cost more than I just paid for the guitar!!

Dooky

Reaction score
I bought an Ibanez RG350M when I was living overseas as a cheap guitar for me to play while I was in the UK. I loved the guitar so much I shipped it all the way back to Australia with me when I moved back home. Great guitar for the money. I've since put a Tone Zone (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) in and it sounds really quite good. I use it at band practices all the time just to save wear and tear on my more expensive guitars. I haven't had any issues with it. The action was set up great when I first got it and the neck is really comfortable. The maple board looks like a quality piece of maple too.
I'd say it's Probably one of the best value for money guitars around.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
The more I hear about it the more I want it :) Happy thanks giving all!!

Impatiently waiting for my new guitar to show up. Hope I like Ibanez' AANJ set up.... never had one before D:

Mordacain

Reaction score
Just bought it. Thanks for the heads up on the sweet deal. Do you guys think that replacing it with high quality dimarzio's or bareknuckles would be a good upgrade?

Absolutely

I think you should replace them with a pair of Dimarzios. It would be worth it ;)

:agreed:

I bought an Ibanez RG350M when I was living overseas as a cheap guitar for me to play while I was in the UK. I loved the guitar so much I shipped it all the way back to Australia with me when I moved back home. Great guitar for the money. I've since put a Tone Zone (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) in and it sounds really quite good. I use it at band practices all the time just to save wear and tear on my more expensive guitars. I haven't had any issues with it. The action was set up great when I first got it and the neck is really comfortable. The maple board looks like a quality piece of maple too.
I'd say it's Probably one of the best value for money guitars around.

I'm loving mine as well. I'm quite impressed with the Wizard III neck profile. I hate the super flat profile of the Wiz II, but this one is more rounded and a very comfortable transition to and from a Fender Modern C.

The more I hear about it the more I want it :) Happy thanks giving all!!

Impatiently waiting for my new guitar to show up. Hope I like Ibanez' AANJ set up.... never had one before D:

My action was pretty good as well, though intonation off ever so slightly on a few strings. I lowered the action probably a few tenths of a mm and it plays great. The AANJ is very good neck joint (actually might be my favorite) it leaves nothing in the way for fret access but still feels good and solid.

Just A Box

Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to begin with sanding that hahaha

EDIT: Just jumped on it, if anyone cares I'll post pictures when it shows up.

I expect this guitar will end up heavily modded ;D

I went overboard modding mine, I think. But yeah, a good, inexpensive base for modding... You were wise to grab it.
DSC_0053.JPG

')