Ibanez RG550 Genesis...Anyone Else Excited?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Bumping this...

Just got an RG550 in purple neon and it’s gorgeous! Serial says it’s the 13th one made this model year.

The fingerboard has some light flame texture, which was a cool surprise.

Build quality seems flawless, then again its made in Japan...

Need some time getting used to a floating trem, at least it’s one of the best out there.
View attachment 81002 View attachment 81003 View attachment 81004
Soulhenge?
is that you?

if so, hey bro!
Love the channel!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
haha sorry man!

mental though because you, like him have "soul" in their name and look what guitar he just picked up -

Can’t blame him, if you don’t hate the super wizard neck these are one of the best bang for buck guitars on the market now. Everything else besides the pickups is top quality.

Anyway, I got my purple one earlier and was blown away with the quality. I had to return my yellow Solar because of finish issues and I knew I wanted another yellow guitar so this was an easy choice.

lewis

Reaction score
Can’t blame him, if you don’t hate the super wizard neck these are one of the best bang for buck guitars on the market now. Everything else besides the pickups is top quality.

Anyway, I got my purple one earlier and was blown away with the quality. I had to return my yellow Solar because of finish issues and I knew I wanted another yellow guitar so this was an easy choice.
I think I would have done the same bro!

Shame about the SOlar though :/

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
the originals came with v1/v2s.
I've used them both...they are all the same level of replaceable.
it's a reissue...they only ever had 2 choices and neither were any better then the other.
I have a Japanese market Genesis-series RG550RFR that came with a set of V1/V2s, and they were actually a lot less-awful than I expected. Very "big" and thick sounding. I swappped them out for something a little more to my taste, but I didn't think they were unusable at all.

The V7/V8, however, I remember being very uninspiring.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I have a Japanese market Genesis-series RG550RFR that came with a set of V1/V2s, and they were actually a lot less-awful than I expected. Very "big" and thick sounding. I swappped them out for something a little more to my taste, but I didn't think they were unusable at all.

The V7/V8, however, I remember being very uninspiring.

The V1/V2’s in my opinion are stellar pickups, the poor man’s TZ/AN combo. I still have a set around here somewhere and I’d absolutely throw them in something.

trem licking

Reaction score
this model gets a pass because its supposed to be a tip to a classic... back when it had the wretched block heel... but that block heel is MAJORLY unacceptable. horrible feel/access to upper frets and the wood/paint cracks way more easily in the pocket area. simply no reason to use that anymore, other than nod to the past i guess.

bzhang9

Reaction score
this model gets a pass because its supposed to be a tip to a classic... back when it had the wretched block heel... but that block heel is MAJORLY unacceptable. horrible feel/access to upper frets and the wood/paint cracks way more easily in the pocket area. simply no reason to use that anymore, other than nod to the past i guess.

dude its not that bad... people still love the old 550s, jems, etc all have block heels

and the Ibanez block is still better than most block heels like strats/teles which is like 30% of all guitars on the market

trem licking

Reaction score
dude its not that bad... people still love the old 550s, jems, etc all have block heels

and the Ibanez block is still better than most block heels like strats/teles which is like 30% of all guitars on the market
Strongly disagree, all block heels suck. Yes, ive played an old rg550 plenty of times, block heel is a deal breaker

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
There is something to be said about the increased surface area and contact between the body and neck. It’s probably just a mind trick, but I also don’t have bitch hands and don’t notice block heels either way.

CerealKiller

Reaction score
Snatched one in RFR last year as well, put a Tone Zone in the bridge. Heel doesn't bother me at all. Great guitar, super fun to play!

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Why though? Have you played the block joints? If you haven't give em a try. I don't hardly notice much difference at all, no matter what fret or string I'm on.
I have MIJ Dinky and had few guitars with this kind of joint. I even played the original rg550 and that bulky neck joint is a no go for me. YMMV, mate. I am a big fan of NTB or AANJ.

trem licking

Reaction score
If you don't play up there or have a thumb under technique, I'm sure its fine... But still, why? Surface area contact/tone debate is definitely a mind trick, for sure

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
If you don't play up there or have a thumb under technique, I'm sure its fine... But still, why? Surface area contact/tone debate is definitely a mind trick, for sure
I mostly live in the 10-24 fret range these days (Technique practice) and play thumb under. I grew up on block heels so I’m used to them and they just don’t bother me at all. I don’t notice it’s there.

')