Ibanez RG7-baritones HELP!

• Thread starter Coobanez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coobanez

Reaction score
Hey all I was wondering on some info on the baritone 7 strings Ibanez have released in the years, and where I could find them? I've heard of models such as the 1077XL and the 2077XL and the RG7EXFX that is still produced today (kind of bland looking to me, and I'd have to order it from Japan. Not too big of an EMG fan either). Are there any other baritone 7's they produced and can be found around the net nowadays? I live in Canada, so the closer the better. Thanks:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Baritones produced by Ibanez List.

RG7421XL, 1077XL, 2077XL, RG7EXFX, RG7680, RG7681.

Those are all that come to mind right now.

Coobanez

Reaction score
I really like the look of the 1077XL and 2077XL, what's the differences between the 2 and how much would they go for used (judging by the fact that they're out of production)?

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I really like the look of the 1077XL and 2077XL, what's the differences between the 2 and how much would they go for used (judging by the fact that they're out of production)?

The 1077XL has a LoPro and the 2077XL has an Edge Pro. The 1077 was American/UK; the 2077XL European and asian markets.

They also vary in locking nuts - one has a top mount nut while the other has a rear mounted locknut.

Coobanez

Reaction score
Okay, was confused there for a second. What's the difference between the RG7EXFX and the RG7EXFX2?

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
The RG7EXFX only came in black wheras the EXFX2 came in Iron Pewter. Otherwise they are completely identical.

Both came factory tuned to ADGCFAD.

Coobanez

Reaction score
Yeah, the website is a mistake, probably the people who designed the site had no idea what the measurements on the guitars were.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the RG7EF2 is a shortened name or a new model, the page says that it is neck through or is this just another mistake? :scratch:

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Just so you are aware the RG2228 is also a 27" scale even though its not classed as a baritone.

Still fully capable of baritone territory with an extra mystery string.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The RG7EXFX only came in black wheras the EXFX2 came in Iron Pewter. Otherwise they are completely identical.

Actually the necks are made of different woods. They both have basswood bodies and rosewood fretboards, but the RG7EXFX2's neck is wenge and maple, while the RG7EXFX is walnut and maple. Neck wood and color are the only differences I think.

Both came factory tuned to ADGCFAD.

It said that on the tag, but it was in B standard when I played it in the store and it felt perfect in B, but would have had to had the intonation adjusted for A standard. I thought that was a little weird. Better for me since I only play in B standard, but still weird.

I'm wondering if the RG7EF2 is a shortened name or a new model, the page says that it is neck through or is this just another mistake? :scratch:

Those are all mistakes. You can tell from the picture that it's an RG7EXFX. They wouldn't rename a model that was EXACTLY the same as one they already released. The picture is clearly 27" scale but the info says 25.5".

So, a bunch of mistakes on there...

Just so you are aware the RG2228 is also a 27" scale even though its not classed as a baritone.

Still fully capable of baritone territory with an extra mystery string.

That's because 8-string "standard scales" start at 27" and go up. Most custom 8-strings are around 28" or 30". Seven-strings are generally 25.5" though.

However, I guess you could call the RG2228 a "baritone eight-string" if you wanted to, even though eight-strings are normally at least that long.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
And then ESP releases that standard scale 8...:scratch:

Exactly. I have to wonder why they did that. It's the perfect scale for an 8-string with a high A, but it's a horrible scale for one with a low F#.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Yep, nice info Narren. Spot on.

Although id LOVE to try one of those OLP baritones with the 30" scale. :eek:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yep, nice info Narren. Spot on.

Although id LOVE to try one of those OLP baritones with the 30" scale. :eek:

Yeah, those sound really cool. They're like inbetween a guitar and a bass.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are all mistakes. You can tell from the picture that it's an RG7EXFX. They wouldn't rename a model that was EXACTLY the same as one they already released. The picture is clearly 27" scale but the info says 25.5".

So, a bunch of mistakes on there...

I'm 99.99% sure they are mistakes. What caused me to wonder was the old site had the guitar listed as RG7EXFX2 and I have never noticed it being described as a neck through before so this would be a new mistake that does not make a lot of sense, as for the scale the Ibanez site has always listed that incorrectly so I'd expect that mistake to be carried over onto the new site.

What I don't understand is why is there a new mistake and why did they change the name of the listing, I agree that from the front it looks the same and I checked other listings of the RG7EF2 before my first post and they all have pics of the RG7EXFX2 so common sense seems to indicate they are all mistakes.

How long has the name RG7EF2 been used? Is it something that has started recently? If it is recent then my 0.01% suspicion that a new neck through model might be on the horizon stands, if it is a description that has been used for some time and Ibanez have adopted it on their website then obviously it is a mistake.

It just does not make sense for Ibanez to list a guitar as RG7EF2 on their site when the guitar will have RG7EXFX2 on the headstock but then I own a RG7EXFX2 that has RG7EXFX on the headstock so I don't know. :shrug:

Latest posts

')