Ibanez rg7321 redo!

• Thread starter rob_707
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
hey everyone its been a while since iv been on hear, and im thinking about re finishing my ibanez 7321.
The guitar was originally damaged and i am going to fix it up my style. the guitar is going to be painted white with a black "fake binding" the only reason is because i am a poor ass and cant afford a router and so on. so im going to try something new.
the pups are emg 707z atm, but will be replaceing them with ONE damarzio blaze 7 in the bridge, one volume no tone. i hope this looks well when its all done. :) wish me luck.
004.JPG
004.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 116
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 117
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 90

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you plan to cover the empty space where the neck pickup route will be or are you just going to leave it empty?

Excited to see this...Always down to check out a refinish!

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Don't believe I've ever seen a RG7321 re-finished in white :yesway:
Are you going to try to touch up the pup routes (make the edges flush), or use pup rings?
Either way, looking forward to this one :metal:

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
Do you plan to cover the empty space where the neck pickup route will be or are you just going to leave it empty?
Excited to see this...Always down to check out a refinish!
well you can laugh if you want but the neck routed hole will be filled, using some fine car body filler, the only reason im usin it is, this guitar was cheap and it i believe it wont effect the sound to much

Don't believe I've ever seen a RG7321 re-finished in white :yesway:
Are you going to try to touch up the pup routes (make the edges flush), or use pup rings?
Either way, looking forward to this one :metal:
well right now im tryin to figure that out, i had to use a dremal to get the emgs in and i couldnt do a very good job free hand, so i may get the rings but i dont like them, so i might try bondo again with the touch ups.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
well iv done some work by taking off the neck and accessories.
as you see no neck and parts if you notice the pink that is body filler from previous attempts to hid the cracks, this time iv had more experience with this bondo.

hears a better pic of the bondo

as you can see i have messed up horribly in my past with the dremal and i will be fixing it up this time around,

Attachments

• DSCF1069.JPG
    DSCF1069.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1072.JPG
    DSCF1072.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1070.JPG
    DSCF1070.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 58

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
For filling the neck pup (would work for fixing the routes as well), it would be best to take a block of some random wood (Maple or Oak wound be good, and cheap choices) and filll the majority of the space with that, then use the Bondo to get the small gaps.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
For filling the neck pup (would work for fixing the routes as well), it would be best to take a block of some random wood (Maple or Oak wound be good, and cheap choices) and filll the majority of the space with that, then use the Bondo to get the small gaps.

This.

Because when the guitar gets hot/cold, the bondo will crack and it will look like shit if you fill in the entire pickup route and that happens. Just trying to give you a bit of a heads up!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a respray for mine for a while.

Curiously enough, I was thinking about white as well. It looks sick on a 7621 so why not?

KDR

Reaction score
Definately watching this thread. I've got a 7321 myself and have been looking for ideas/inspiration to try something like this.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
you know what this is a good idea, i think i will try that before filling the entire cavity with bondo.

This.

Because when the guitar gets hot/cold, the bondo will crack and it will look like shit if you fill in the entire pickup route and that happens. Just trying to give you a bit of a heads up!
well i have how ever done a guitar and filled a cavity with bondo and i had no problems, it all depends on how much harder you use, i use alot so its retarded hard and i haven't had a problem.

Curiously enough, I was thinking about white as well. It looks sick on a 7621 so why not?[/QUOTE]
ya man i cant wait to see the turn out!

Definately watching this thread. I've got a 7321 myself and have been looking for ideas/inspiration to try something like this.
:yesway:

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
ok so today i started to sand the body. found this to do the sanding with.

now to put on my rated respirator

the other night i had chili for dinner and i put this on and was curious to know if its worse to breath in nuclear chili farts or the dust from the paint? i uno das is good?

you can see where i tried to correct the body a little better in this pic.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 35
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 62

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
if you get those covers, you might want to patch up some of the wood around it too

the rings are a cool idea, but i think id rather just the dimarzio showing, im going to have to patch the wood work anyways, plus i dont know if that cover has to come off every time i want to adjust it, cool idea non the less, i may consider this later on if i but a guitar that has emgs and i want to change them, thanks brew!

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
well seeing as everyone is against bondo, what can i use????? i am how ever going to take a pice of wood to fill the pup hole, but what can i use to fill the smaller holes?/
Bondo is fine for the small holes, its just the bigger gaps that you'd want to fill with wood first.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
ok so today i had some spare time and went to my local lumber mill, the guy gave me a scrap piece of mahogany free of charge
:hbang:

this is it shaped and put in cavity, i haven't glued it yet because i sanded the one side a little to much so its being repaired so to speak

hopefully this comes out nice when its glued in!!:bowdown:
P.S can anyone please tell me how to put the pics up bigger instead of attaching them, this is a pain in my ass, and im sure it would be better for everyone else to look at instead of clickin the things!

Attachments

• DSCF1079.JPG
    DSCF1079.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1080.JPG
    DSCF1080.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF1081.JPG
    DSCF1081.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 80
')