Ibanez rg7321 redo!

• Thread starter rob_707
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I always use the 'Insert Image' button (the yellow square with the mountain or what not) and then paste the link into there. Also, looking good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
im not very knowledgeable when it comes to filling a pick up routing, but wouldn't you want the same fill block as the body wood itself??? just curious because i am starting a similar project soon.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
I always use the 'Insert Image' button (the yellow square with the mountain or what not) and then paste the link into there. Also, looking good.
what link could i use?? i dont really have a cite to post them on, thanks!

im not very knowledgeable when it comes to filling a pick up routing, but wouldn't you want the same fill block as the body wood itself??? just curious because i am starting a similar project soon.
well in a seance you would want to, but because it wont be seen i dont care and thats all the guy had for wood, im pretty sure it wont effect my sound.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, forgot to mention that you would have to upload the pictures to imageshack or photobucket or something and use the links from there.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
so this morning i woke up and did alota work, on this project. so the first thing i did was put some kick ass music on :)
005zj.jpg
005ubj.jpg

on to das pics!!

001zgf.jpg
001sso.jpg

this is the bondo at its worst

002psu.jpg
002sqy.jpg

this is it sanded down and about to add another layer of bondo

004cwy.jpg
003tsp.jpg

hear is the scond coat of bondo all nice and clean.

004dac.jpg
004dac.jpg
004jlo.jpg

and this is it all sanded and ready to paint :)
004dac.jpg

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
alrighty, i got greedy and painted it it actually looks better then what i hoped it would,

006qcl.jpg

008lc.jpg

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Lol at the Controller CD because the first thingI thought when I saw you is "He looks kind of like Stuart Ross" and I saw you were from Canada too.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Is that just the primer coat or are you doing it white? And that looks really clean, can't even tell the neck pup was filled.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
Is that just the primer coat or are you doing it white? And that looks really clean, can't even tell the neck pup was filled.
no thats the paint, the primer is white as well, the guitar is going to be white with a black "binding"

ascender

Reaction score

Agreed! That cavity fill looks fantastic. I have to do atleast one coming up here shortly. Hopefully mine look as clean as that.:yesway:

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
ok well i totaly botched my guitar today when i tried to paint the binding, so my question is, what kind of paint should i be using??? im using atm lacquer and i dont think its right. can anyone help me out iv tryed the search engine and it dont work to well.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
ok well i totaly botched my guitar today when i tried to paint the binding, so my question is, what kind of paint should i be using??? im using atm lacquer and i dont think its right. can anyone help me out iv tryed the search engine and it dont work to well.
You could use automotive pinstriping tape and skip the paint altogether :agreed:

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
You could use automotive pinstriping tape and skip the paint altogether :agreed:
well thats the thing i had to re-sand the guitar again, and i want a paint thats gonna be as hard as the stuff that was already on it

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
well thats the thing i had to re-sand the guitar again, and i want a paint thats gonna be as hard as the stuff that was already on it
The white looks like it turned out great, so you could re-spray the white, then add the pinstriping, and clear over top of it all.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
well seeing as everyone is against bondo, what can i use????? i am how ever going to take a pice of wood to fill the pup hole, but what can i use to fill the smaller holes?/

I have used a wood block and fiberglass body filler before with great results. It won't shrink,crack,chip,or get brittle. Put a little bit in at a time, DO NOT FILL THE WHOLE CAVITY AT ONE TIME!!! It will not dry properly. And don't forget to feather edge it or the filler edge will show when you paint. I learned all of this stuff from an auto body repair guy.

BTW - Yours turned out very nice! Just a little info for others out there that want to attempt this.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
The white looks like it turned out great, so you could re-spray the white, then add the pinstriping, and clear over top of it all.
i have no problem paining the stripe, its the paint im using i think its the wrong kind i dont know if i should use lacquer or enamel or what, the pin strip is a good idea but it rather have pain on there so i dont have it sticking up.

jwatso89

Reaction score
I went the lacquer route and i think it turned out pretty well. The key is to do lots of thin coats to build up a nice thick clear coat, and remember to sand with 400ish grit sandpaper every few coats (i did 5 coats each about an hour apart, let it fully dry, sanded, then repeat the whole process).

Theres a pretty decent walkthrough on stewmac:

STEWMAC.COM : Finishing a Blue Guitar Free information

that even includes how to prevent spitting and how to repair spits, but if you are careful you wont run into that... I know i didnt :cool: If you go to the next page it includes how to finish it to a mirror shine using ultra high grit paper and a buffing wheel... i skipped all that because i was anxious to play mine but someday ill probably go back to give it a try :) good luck!

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
I went the lacquer route and i think it turned out pretty well. The key is to do lots of thin coats to build up a nice thick clear coat, and remember to sand with 400ish grit sandpaper every few coats (i did 5 coats each about an hour apart, let it fully dry, sanded, then repeat the whole process).

Theres a pretty decent walkthrough on stewmac:

STEWMAC.COM : Finishing a Blue Guitar Free information

that even includes how to prevent spitting and how to repair spits, but if you are careful you wont run into that... I know i didnt :cool: If you go to the next page it includes how to finish it to a mirror shine using ultra high grit paper and a buffing wheel... i skipped all that because i was anxious to play mine but someday ill probably go back to give it a try :) good luck!
thank you soo much man this is a bigg help :bowdown:
i had to sand my guitar down because the lacquer didnt cure properly. but this time im doin light coats!

')