Ibanez RG7321 Refinish (work in progress)

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I started doing a refinish on my old boring looking 7321 today. I figured I'd make a little build diary here for you folks ;)

So far I've taken her apart and gotten the body sanded (and inhaled pounds of dried paint and clearcoat). I'll be finish sanding and checking out the stains tomorrow.

zrjRk.jpg
'

And the back

rH26v.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
what do you have in mind?

I actually know what I'm doing already. I'm basing it off of another mod I saw on the forum a while ago. I'm staining the top a really cool cherry blossom purple I found and staining the back a nice dark walnut color to match the stripes in the neck. I'm also going to sand the gloss from the neck and refinish it with Tung Oil.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
+1 for tung oiled necks!

Also, +1 for Wisconsin!

Haha fuck yeah, man. I'm not too happy about the cold season setting in. But there's always plenty of beer to help deal with that ;)...

But yeah dude. I'm too poor to buy a new guitar now and I seriously love the neck-my only gripe being it's too glossy. Sand that finish off (and maybe rough the grain up a bit) and seal it with Tung Oil and it's going to feel incredible!

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
If a mod wants to move this to the luthiery/modifications board that's fine. I don't know why I posted it here.

Anyways here's what I've done thus far today:

NA9xc.jpg

I got all of the paint off of the headstock and remaining clearcoat from the body. I also wet sanded with a 220 grit sandpaper to help make the body super smooth.

W70iG.jpg

It's hard to tell by this picture, but I also took a 220 grit sandpaper to the back of the neck to remove Ibanez's slippery gloss finish. It feels much better now and I can't wait to oil her up and :shred:

gnFwO.jpg

I still have a couple more layers to do, but I started on the purple stain for the top. When that's done I'll be doing a dark walnut stain (think the neck stripes for color reference) on the back, sides, and headstock.

I also ordered a replacement Ibanez logo in gold which should be here in a few days :)

More pics when I have them!

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the finished product, always fun to see RG7321 refinishes.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. The purple is looking pretty wild so far. I'll probably smooth it out with some 0000 steel wool and add one last layer. I think I'm going to get started on the Walnut tonight as well. I can't wait to see how it looks done with satin polyurethane.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
You should get gold hardware too! Gold + Purple = :yum:

That was actually my intention :agreed:. Once I can afford it I'm going to grab a gold Hipshot 7 bridge and Gold Planet Waves Autotrim tuners.

I ordered a gold replacement Ibanez logo today.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
That purple looks great!! I did a refinish on my 7321 and it looked so bad lol. But yours looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
you know i always liked the look of natural wood..i think i might just sand all the paint off mine as well and stain it

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
you know i always liked the look of natural wood..i think i might just sand all the paint off mine as well and stain it

Nice, man. I'll upload a picture in a bit. The darker Walnut colored stain on the back is done and it looks absolutely gorgeous! The sides of the guitar are going to prove to be a challenge though.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
That purple looks great!! I did a refinish on my 7321 and it looked so bad lol. But yours looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Thank you, man! It's looking pretty awesome thus far. I can't wait to get done with it!

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Just one more pic for you guys tonight. I got the back stained and this Walnut color is looking absolutely outstanding :)

Q9gl4.jpg

')