Ibanez RG7321 Refinish (work in progress)

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Looks good so far.

Just a fyi, you should sand up your neck to at least 600, 800 before you oil the neck :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Like the dark stain.

Also, +1 for the Planet Waves! Excellent choice!

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Hey, ladies (doubt it) and gents, I made a bit more progress today :).

Ns1WI.jpg

Firstly I got the headstock stained to match the walnut on the back and sides of the body. I'm waiting for a replacement Ibanez logo in the mail!

0wrf3.jpg

The back in all its glory. I might throw another layer of stain on the sides, but I'm not sure yet.

osYKN.jpg

Here's everything; just waiting for clearcoat!

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
Damn! That's coming out great! The walnut stain looks awesome. Can't wait for the clearcoat photos!

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in updates. I've had a busy few days and haven't been able to get much work done until today.

arCvI.jpg

So I got the body all clearcoated, I'm just waiting on the final layer to finish up drying.

fSBss.jpg

That walnut finish in all of its glory.

wM1ar.jpg

I also bought a gold logo to match the gold hardware I'll eventually be purchasing.

I should be putting all of the electronics in tomorrow and putting everything back together!

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Damn that clear coat...

Did you use a power sander or did you do it by hand?

Yeah, man. It took a good five or six hours to strip the body.

I used a power sander for the bigger parts of the body and a dremel to get into the cutaways. Hand sanding would've taken days.

For the neck I just hand sanded, I didn't want to take too much away-only the gloss finish. I did end up going up to a 600 grit sandpaper to finish it, though.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Howdy, folks. She's all done for now!

Without further ado, PICS

eT0Qx.jpg

Full front view, the pics don't really do her justice though!

I3yD9.jpg

Closer view of the body. I also dropped a Crunchlab in the bridge. SO much better than the stock Ibby pickup.

4dK1X.jpg

And the back

WRDSU.jpg

Gold logo=class

wcHB3.jpg

And lastly a nice artsy photo.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Nicely done :yesway:
But...for god's sake, what happened to properly restringing? No offense, but the b-string looks wacked :spock:

Glad you're digging it, man!

But-I honestly don't know what the fuck happened. I usually use Elixirs and I used D'Addarios because they were the only thing I had lying around. I restrung it the way I always do and for some reason it decided to wrap a thousand times :nuts:. It still sounds just as good and I'm only keeping these strings on until I get paid again so I can buy some Elixirs.

edrowley

Reaction score
Awesome look! Although the back of then neck is screaming for something though.... not sure what. My 7321 may need some work done in the future after seeing this!:hbang:

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Awesome look! Although the back of then neck is screaming for something though.... not sure what. My 7321 may need some work done in the future after seeing this!:hbang:

Thanks, man. Glad you dig it :hbang:

I'm loving the back of the neck, however. I sanded off the gloss and finished it with tung oil and it feels absolutely incredible! :shred:

GlxyDs

Reaction score
I really love that walnut stain. I want a finish similar to that on my RG7321 which I just picked up and intend on fixing up as soon as possible.

I don't know much about refinishing but was planning on finishing with tung oil. Did it actually improve the neck? I wasn't going to do it, but I might as well.

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
I really love that walnut stain. I want a finish similar to that on my RG7321 which I just picked up and intend on fixing up as soon as possible.

I don't know much about refinishing but was planning on finishing with tung oil. Did it actually improve the neck? I wasn't going to do it, but I might as well.

Honestly the difference from the gloss finish to tung oil is night and day. It feels much more "natural" now and it plays much more easily.

TeethLikeNathan

Reaction score
That looks awesome!

Like most of the others i'm about to start refinishing and overhauling my 7321, Where did you order that gold logo from!

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
That looks awesome!

Like most of the others i'm about to start refinishing and overhauling my 7321, Where did you order that gold logo from!

Ibanez Guitar Headstock Decals : Best-Decals.com, Your One-Stop Decal-Shop I grabbed it from best-decals.com! They have a bunch of different styles in stock and it's exactly the same as my old "check style" logo without the stupid "RG Series" Emblem! If you want to be a cheater and grab a prestige/custom logo they have those as well though ;)

Edit: Make sure you grab the "7 string" one if you get the check style.

')