Ibanez RG7321 vs ESP SC-207 vs Schecter Omen-7

• Thread starter phatfil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
I went for the 7321, partly because of the 5 way switch. The pickups are a bit muddy on the low end, but it does sound really nice for cleaner tones. I'd just go easy on the lows, and raise the mids and highs more on the EQ. Also, I lowered the bass side on both pickups a little, to counteract the muddiness. I'm currently using .010-.060 but am tempted to go back to .009's... hmm.

If you're into Strat tones, it's the only 7 string in its price range that delivers it out of the box. That's what sold me on the 7321.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phatfil

Reaction score
wow! thanks for all the great responses! :yesway:

i'm selling my RG350DX to get the cash for the 7 string. i like the Ibanez neck, very comfortable. i'm not surprised to see the 7321 get the thumbs up in that category. sad that the p'ups have a muddy bass response. seems like that would be critical with a 7 string. oh well, swapping the bridge p'up out isn't all that bad.

i'm a little surprised to see the Schecter get little to no love. i've played a C1 and it seemed like a good guitar. is there a big quality drop from the C1 to the Omen-7? how about the p'ups? are they any good?

the ESP didn't get as good reviews elsewhere as the other 2, but i trust the opinions here more than i do at Harmony Central, Musician's Friend, etc. and it is a bad ass looking axe! i kind of doubt not having a neck p'up will matter too much. the build quality is pretty good though, eh?

oh yeah, Bleak, my main amp is a Krank Rev1. :hbang:

would it be a better idea to just spend a bit extra on a better guitar since any of these 3 will need to have parts swapped out for better ones?

okarma

Reaction score
I was in the same situation several months ago, and I ended up choosing the sc207. The rg7321 is a little to generic for my tastes. bland look, unimpressive pickups, and the 5-way switch isn't really appealing to me. the sc207 (which I have now) feels great, is relatively light, and has a fast neck after you get used to it. a lot of people say the 7321 has a much faster neck, but if you are learning how to play a 7 for the first time, you are going to bulk up your chops anyway, and when that happens you'll see the sc207 is plenty fast.

the stock pickups on the 207 aren't great, so I switched them out. Having an sc207 with Evo7's and no inlays on the fretboard make for a sexy looking and sounding guitar. You just need to make your new tones from scratch so that the bottom end is thick and clear. i did that, and now I have the heaviest goddamn tone I have ever had the pleasure of playing. i love my sc207. but it's important to note that if you get someone who installs new pickups, it will be a little more difficult for them on the sc207, which is why it cost me like 20 bucks extra for them to install it (i can't do it myself).

hope that helps

elbow

beezy brassknuck buk
Reaction score
Dude, Schecter is the shit.. Go with the Omen! I was in this situation a few months ago where I was deciding on getting the S7320 or a Schecter C7 HellRaiser. I went with the Schecter cause its just made better and more reliable. Also, it came with the official licensed Floyd Rose instead of the wannabe on the S7320. And the EMG 707TW pickups came stock on the Schecter, the stock pickups on Ibanez's in general always suck the big one.

I'm currently looking for my second 7-string and I'm almost possitive I'm going with the Omen7. Gonna tune that son of a bitch down and throw on some D-activator pickups.

Stay up man!

GCM

Reaction score
I'd go with the ESP, but I'm not a big Ibanez or Schector fan. I play an H-207, and for the money, it's a wonderful guitar. I can't say much about the SC-207, besides the fact that I've never really played an ESP I haven't liked. Some more than others, but you get my point. Esp's seem to come with decent stock pickups too, but I always prefer to change mine.

naavanka_

Reaction score
Id actually buy the sc-207 again for a secong guitar, i had it for a year before i sold it for sc-607b, you should consider the older sc-207 that has normal passive sized pups, they were duncan designed i think, they werent bad at all.
the ibanez rg 7321 is a great guitar too but i wasnt into the neck profile at all, not too bad but still, mediocre sounds but i think you could live with them, if not, just change pup to better ones.
Those cheaper scheters got a really bulky neck joint, almost like a log or something, but they sound very decent and they are pretty playable.
But id consider the Ltd seriously

Riverrunsred

Reaction score
Yea after reading your post, I believe the bridge on the 7321 is a "string through" but I just classified it as a hardtail since it's a similar looking bridge, whereas the SC-207 is a TOM style bridge with the strings actually going through the body. I had a Schecter Devil Elite Tribal (?) with a bridge like the 7321 and it didn't have the sustain like my H-207. Then again it was a mahogany body vs ash.
The strings go through the body on my 7321

swiggy666

Reaction score
i have an LTD SC-207 and i have to say they are a fantastic guitar, however i did have to change the duncan desighned pick ups and replace them with some Bareknuckle's just because i thought the duncan designed sounded muddy and didnt really compliment the guitar well.

i had a RG7321 and couldnt really get away with it playing wise, it just didnt feel right however i am getting a Prestige RG1527 next week because they are just beutifull and play like a a dream.

my verdict would be: playing wise the LTD is a fantastic guitar and the fret spacing's are nion perfect, if you were to get it i would reccomend the more expensive model with EMGZ in as they will complement the guitar better.

i hope i have been of some help to you

:)

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
fuck all those. Find a used Ibanez RG7620 for around $500-600 and you will be SO glad you did. The 7321 feels like pure shit compared to it. I'm a complete dumbass for selling mine. If I wasn't broke ass, I'd probably find the guy I sold it to and buy it back.

Pischlar

Reaction score
The 7321 is a decent guitar, I'm currently using one. As most people have said the stock pickups in it aren't the best. The neck, however, is nice and the feel of the bridge is good as well.

Keep in mind the LTD and the Schecter have the tune-o-matic style bridge that's elevated from the body and the Ibanez has a bridge that sits flush with the body. If you like guitars with a Floyd type bridge I'd take the Ibanez for comfort sake.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Ibanez 7321 - Solid guitar, feels comfortable, only problem is the pickups.

ESP LTD SC-207 - Good looking, solid guitar, odd pickup configuration unless you don't mind.

Schecter Omen 7 - Schecters look nice and sound okay, but I've yet to play one that really impressed me. They just sound a bit thin. Maybe I need to go out and try some more.

Atm I'd say either the Ibanez or the SC, but I'd invest in a new pickup either way.

Bevo

Reaction score
Had the 7321 and the 207 and prefer the ESP.

The build quality was much better and it felt like a higher end guitar, neck was shaped better for.

Did change out the bridge and put a thicker "B" string on it, was perfect after that..

Rotatous

Reaction score
I think you'll be happy with any of the guitars mentioned, if you get it professionally set up, and at some point, have the pickups exchanged. It really depends on which one looks the nicest, and has the best overall feel.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is 8 months old.
Why was it bumped recently?
I'm sure the OP worked out what guitar they wanted a long time ago.

LaPerraLoca

Reaction score
i was wondering, after this years, what would be the final veredict? because i found myself on the same dilemma... but i think i may save for the SC-607B

but still dont know what to do. the RGD7320z looks good too.

Mordecai

Reaction score
RG7321 and swap the bridge pup with a dimarzio you'll be fine. i am in process of switching my bridge pup with a crunch lab as we speak. its a good decision.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
go with esp man. ive never ever ever ever ever ever been disappointed with any LTD product that ive ever owned

')