Ibanez Rg7321 vs Schecter Damien 7 VOTE!

• Thread starter Tordenguden
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Help me pick my new guitar

• Ibanez RG7321

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • Schecter Damien 7

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
Tordenguden said:
Hello.

Im playing death metal, witch of the two guitars are would be best? And looks the best :p The Ibanez Rg7321 or Schecter Damien 7?

Ibanez:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/mare_voon/27059.jpg

Schecter:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/mare_voon/157399.jpg

Both are good choices. I like the Damien because of the extra scale length, which means a tighter sound in low tunings, but... yes, I love the bat inlays, but not enough to have around all the time. Perhaps as a 2nd guitar. I'd also change the HZ7's to a EMG 707n + 81-7b setup. Not much effort there, as EMG's are easy to setup and install, esp. if the guitar is routed for them.

(Then again... the Hellraiser does come with active EMGs.)

Also, for now I want something that's more classic sounding, but with extra output, so that's why I went with the 7321. Not to mention, the fretboard binding and striped neck's classy looking. Plus, the 25.5 inch scale's easier on my small hands. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
hey, i'm new here and i've just recently been looking around for a 7-string on ebay. i've looked at both the 7321 and the damien but i have my reservations for each and i was wondering if anyone could help me out. is the 7321's quality/feel significantly reduced by its being manufactured in indonesia? and is it difficult to adjust to the extended scale length of the damien (i have relatively small hands and struggle with big stretches on my 25.5 scale 6-string)? thanks in advance.

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
ibzrg1570 said:
hey, i'm new here and i've just recently been looking around for a 7-string on ebay. i've looked at both the 7321 and the damien but i have my reservations for each and i was wondering if anyone could help me out. is the 7321's quality/feel significantly reduced by its being manufactured in indonesia? and is it difficult to adjust to the extended scale length of the damien (i have relatively small hands and struggle with big stretches on my 25.5 scale 6-string)? thanks in advance.

As for the Indonesian versions, you'll have to visually inspect and play through one for at least a few minutes. Most of the ones I came across were fine, but only one had the pickups correctly installed. That is, the one I bought didn't have misaligned polepieces that didn't line up with the strings. I did end up raising the bridge pickup slightly, and changing the factory strings from .009-.054, to .010-.059.

If you do struggle with the long stretches (as in playing those 9th chords), then yes, I'd skip the Damien, no matter how well built it is. It's not worth the added trip to the emergency room if you suddenly break a few fingers unexpectedly.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
i_love_tazzus said:
As for the Indonesian versions, you'll have to visually inspect and play through one for at least a few minutes. Most of the ones I came across were fine, but only one had the pickups correctly installed. That is, the one I bought didn't have misaligned polepieces that didn't line up with the strings. I did end up raising the bridge pickup slightly, and changing the factory strings from .009-.054, to .010-.059.

If you do struggle with the long stretches (as in playing those 9th chords), then yes, I'd skip the Damien, no matter how well built it is. It's not worth the added trip to the emergency room if you suddenly break a few fingers unexpectedly.

Yea I was thinking the same thing about forgetting about the extended scale. It seems like the misaligned pole pieces is a common problem for Ibanez though. Even the pups on my rg1570 are misaligned, and its a prestige model too.

But I did find a Korean made rg7321 with the neck through on ebay so hopefully I can score it and avoid any major problems.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
sorry i don't know why i wrote neck through. i meant the 5 piece neck. i've got a lot on my mind ;)

Lankles

Fuelled by Chicken alone.
Reaction score
The Schecter hate emanating from this thread makes puppies cry, but I have to admit that the Damien is nowhere near the guitar that its bigger, badder brothers are.

Reaction score
Lankles said:
The Schecter hate emanating from this thread makes puppies cry, but I have to admit that the Damien is nowhere near the guitar that its bigger, badder brothers are.
True, the specs of the neckthrough scecters are awesome. and they feel hysterically good.

Latest posts

')