Ibanez RG7421 Re-finish

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I posted a NGD thread about this guitar yesterday: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/114071-ngd-ibanez-project.html. And in this thread, I document my first attempt at a re-finish!

Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I ended up yanking out the guts and removing the hardware and the neck. As suspected, it's a 7621 neck. Really awesome :yesway:. So today, I stopped to pick up some re-finishing supplies on my way home from work. Some 60 grit, 120 grit, 220 grit and 400 grit sandpaper, 0000 grade steel wool and a new rubber palm sander. I also picked up an aerosol can of stripper, but it did absolutely nothing, so I just stuck with sanding.

Anyway, here's my progress so far:

100_2683.jpg

100_2684.jpg

My shitty little workbench
100_2687.jpg

I shared the garage with the Buick all afternoon and couldn't resist taking a picture. Summer's almost here and I can't wait to get it out on the road!
100_2686.jpg

100_2688.jpg

100_2689.jpg

100_2690.jpg

This is the last picture I took of the back, but haven't gotten too much further
100_2691.jpg

When I decided to call it a day, I brought the guitar in and wiped it down with a damp cloth to get a better idea of what the wood looks like. Decent grain, but wtf? Is that a 1-piece body!? I've never seen that on an RG before:scratch:
100_2694.jpg

That's it for now, more pics as I progress!

04/01/10

Finished the back, but the sides were pain in the ass, so I decided to put that off til I have more time, which will be Sunday or Monday. At that point, the sanding will be done and I'll be thinking about finish options. Unless both the top and back of the guitar are veneered, it looks like the body is one solid piece. Awesome :yesway:

100_2696.jpg

100_2697.jpg

100_2698.jpg

100_2699.jpg

100_2700.jpg

100_2701.jpg

04/08/10 - Distressed for Success :yesway:

First coat of my attempt at a distressed oil finish. I think I might just leave it at 1 coat, I think it looks awesome and I really don't want to fuck it up.

100_2702.jpg

100_2706.jpg

04/09/10 - Re-finish completed :)

100_2707.jpg

100_2708.jpg

Now that the re-fin. is done, I have to change some electronics. The pickups are being swapped out for a set of BKP's when I have the cash, and I'm probably going to get a new switch and pots. But for now, this is it :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its a veneer, once you sand down the sides, you'll see that its 3 or so piece body.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its a veneer, once you sand down the sides, you'll see that its 3 or so piece body.

Yeah, a friend of mine said the same thing. I'll find out when I get more sanding done some time in the next couple of days.

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
IIRC it is maple, helps with the primer and paint.
Sanding is a bitch eh? :lol: I hated that part.

What sort of finish you going for?

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I love how this thread is already full of the Bowes guitars fanboys. This project was just a cure for the GAS, tiding me over til Brian finishes my guitar :D:lol:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
IIRC it is maple, helps with the primer and paint.
Sanding is a bitch eh? :lol: I hated that part.

What sort of finish you going for?

Yeah, the sanding is pretty taxing. My shoulders were really feeling it about 15 minutes after I called it a day. As for the finish, I haven't decided yet. I was looking at some Old Dutch Black Walnut oil today that I thought could look nice, but I was also thinking of doing some sort of distressed finish, a la Hufschmid, but the hard part is finding out his secret method!

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
When I decided to call it a day, I brought the guitar in and wiped it down with a damp cloth to get a better idea of what the wood looks like. Decent grain, but wtf? Is that a 1-piece body!? I've never seen that on an RG before:scratch:
100_2694.jpg

now that grain looks great. :yesway:

i wish the sanding down of my RGA8 would have been exposing something similiar. if i ever get my hands on another RG, i have to give it another shot, i guess.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
why not buy an electric palm sander, or even better yet burn the paint off. takes about 5 minutes to completely strip it using fire. about 20 minutes with an electric palm sander ;) looks good though!!!

Demiurge

Reaction score
I shared the garage with the Buick all afternoon and couldn't resist taking a picture. Summer's almost here and I can't wait to get it out on the road!
100_2686.jpg

Too bad there wouldn't be a remotely-affordable way of getting a color/finish to match that car!

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
shitsøn;1917630 said:
now that grain looks great. :yesway:

i wish the sanding down of my RGA8 would have been exposing something similiar. if i ever get my hands on another RG, i have to give it another shot, i guess.

The RGA8 body is all mahogany, no?

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Too bad there wouldn't be a remotely-affordable way of getting a color/finish to match that car!

That would indeed be awesome, I love the colour on the Buick. However, Schaller does make some brushed copper hardware that would match the car :idea: I might look into that when I'm replacing the hardware, but I don't know what I'll be able to afford.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
why not buy an electric palm sander, or even better yet burn the paint off. takes about 5 minutes to completely strip it using fire. about 20 minutes with an electric palm sander ;) looks good though!!!

Kill the finish. Kill it with fire! :lol:

I can't really afford an electric sander at the moment, and I never really thought of using fire, but that sounds badass. Next time I find a sweet enough deal on a project guitar, I'll look into it.

lctdmf

Reaction score
I hope my guitar has decent looking wood when I refinish it.. whenever that is.

I'm scared it will be plywood or something, it's a Dillion and I have no idea what type of woods they usually use. (can't find anything out about my guitar either, other than the fact that it's a Dillion Randy Rhoads V).

Nice looking project so far, Jeff.

')