Ibanez RG752 (Ash) Pickup Suggestions

• Thread starter The Thing Upstairs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I've got an ash RG752 that I love playing but am not totally happy with the sound. It currently has PAF7s in it that I find a little low on output but moreover, piercing on certain strings with an odd pick attack.
I've seen some people rave and heard some great clips but they aren't really for me.

Just wondering, what people with ash bodied 7s are putting in their 7s and what a good replacement would be?

If I stay with Dimarzio, I'll probably keep the neck but otherwise it would be a set.

I like my nazgu/sentient set in my Mayones Duvell 6 (only on d standard or drop c, not a fan in E).

I'm not interested in paying the BKP premium as I have. few of those already. I've some Fishman moderns in an EII MII but was horrified with my experience of them (took 3 sets to get a pair that were defect free. They sound OK but I have that now so want different).

I was considering a pegasus sentient set as I think the Pegasus has less high end (my RG is a bright guitar already - doesn't need a bright pickup I think).

I'm stuck, void of ideas, please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In ash, the tried and true JB/Jazz set works. You might also try the Suhr Hot 7 set. If you're getting piercing overtones, though, you might want to make sure you don't have a very slight buzz coming from the frets about 12.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Check out the Dimarzio Blaze Custom for the bridge. It's fairly high output, thick in the mids, and has an aggressive voicing overall. I've had the BC/PAF7 pairing in a couple of guitars and it's always sick :metal:

You might also look at the EVO7 bridge or an Ionizer set if you want more upper mid focus. I actually really dig the Ionizer set for low tunings in my DC7X, which is already a bright guitar on its own

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
In ash, the tried and true JB/Jazz set works. You might also try the Suhr Hot 7 set. If you're getting piercing overtones, though, you might want to make sure you don't have a very slight buzz coming from the frets about 12.

I do like the jazz in my eii eclipse 6 string but that's mahogany and a little dark sounding. I've sorted the minor setup grumble I had with the overtones and oddly changing string brand is what sorted the overtones I didnt like.

Thanks for the suggestions @TheWarAgainstTime - will be sure to check them out

Scordare

Reaction score
I have the SD Pegasus/Sentient in a Schecter Wes Hauch PT7 which is a heavy ash..and like like them a lot! They are medium output, balanced and very responsive. If you want more output, without going crazy, the Distortion bridge/Jazz neck is great..I have those in an Epiphone Les Paul 7. I am not a fan of high output pickups anymore.. and prefer to let the amp and pedals do the work and keep the guitar input cleaner.

Last edited:

Ross82

Reaction score
I had an RG752AHM with PAF7's in and I hated them, so low output I just couldn't get a good tone out of them especially heavy tone. My Mayones has Lundgren M7's and they are way better. Clear output, nice bass clarity and not too trebly. Split coil tone is "Mehh" but it tend not to like split coil tone on any pickups. The neck pickup on clean is an excellent blues tone.

Otherwise I'd be going with EMG's or Fluence.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really love the titan in the bridge. It has a nice growl, articulate midrange but never shrill on leads.... one of the best pickups Ive ever come across. A real winner for Dimarzio and tight on the bottom end while still mean sounding.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Check out the Dimarzio Blaze Custom for the bridge. It's fairly high output, thick in the mids, and has an aggressive voicing overall. I've had the BC/PAF7 pairing in a couple of guitars and it's always sick :metal:

You might also look at the EVO7 bridge or an Ionizer set if you want more upper mid focus. I actually really dig the Ionizer set for low tunings in my DC7X, which is already a bright guitar on its own

I've had the Blaze Custom at the bridge of my UV7BK since long before the idea of the Premium UV series was a twinkle in someone's eye. GREAT lead pickup and a big crunch too. I got to shoot it out vs an Evo7 when it first came out, and concluded that the Evo was the better thrash machine, but just didn't have have the richness I need for leads. The Blaze Custom has plenty of mids, which are a lead player's friend. And of course, it's a perfect match for the Blaze neck, one of my favorite neck pickups. I'm surprised Ibanez didn't put the Blaze Custom in the UV Premium series, as I think it's a worthy improvement over the Blaze in every way....

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Be careful ordering Duncans for an Ibanez. I had an RG7621 and the previous owner installed a JB/Jazz 7 set, but had to route the hell out of the pickup cavities to fit them. Most Duncans I've seen have the pickup poles extending out from the bottom quite a bit, so they don't fit in shallow Ibanez pickup cavities. Not sure if all Duncan's are like this, but something to be aware of.

Maybe the Tone Zone/Air Norton 7 would work well in ash?

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I agree the Pegasus/Sentient 7 string set works really well in an Ash bodied guitar, if you're looking for something that isn't too high output and is well-balanced then that's a good route to go from my experience.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you stayed Dimarzio the Tone Zone/ Air Norton 7 combo would probably work well. Kiesel's Holdsworth 7 string set to me is a very nice versatile set. And one very out there suggestion is the EMG Retro Active Super 77-7 string set. The Pegasus/Sentient set is good. Also here's a video of Keith Merrow comparing a bunch of Duncan 7 string bridge pick ups. Hope this might help a little bit.

')