Ibanez RG7620 or Schecter Banshee 7?

lucasprog

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new in the forum. I'm from Argentina, and I play metal in a band called Prognatus.
Here is the thing. I've owned an Ibanez RG7620 for 8 years approx, and it's a great guitar, but I got tired of the floyd rose. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that I don't use it. And taking care of it drives me crazy haha.
So now I have the possibility of changing the guitar for another one, but the only 7 stringers that get here to Argentina are Schecter. What is your opinion of the Banshee Active or Banshee Elite (dunno the difference)? Is it similar to my RG? Or am I just crazy for trying to change it for a Schecter?
Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
schecter is a downgrade, but try some out and see if they feel good to you. trems are easy to block so that they stay perfectly put... my vote is to keep the guitar you have

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend blocking of the trem. Very easy to do and you get to keep your 7620. I have and MIJ 7421 that is pretty awesome.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's getting harder and harder to say that these days.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the old RG7s. They're the benchmark of all modern 7-strings. But it's been a long time. The absolute "newest" RG7620 you can find is still 15 years old. Some are even pushing almost 20! A lot can happen in that time. Good and bad. Necks can settle into being solid as granite.....or curved into a treble clef. Fretboard edges can be so well rounded you can't tell where the frets begin......or the frets are flat and falling out.

Without knowing what condition the RG is in, it's hard to say what would or wouldn't be an objective upgrade.

Personally, I'd try to hold onto the RG and get another guitar. Have your cake and eat it too.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
Straight trade? I would go banshee elite unless your 7620 is mint and already plays well

I've had 10+ 74/76xx guitars and a few banshees

Neck is very similar, bubinga stripe ibanez > banshee > all maple ibanez
Ibanez has a nicer and smoother neck finish unless worn off
Ibanez has more consistent fretwork if in good condition, but some banshees are very good too
Aesthetics and general specs banshee wins

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I have lots of Ibbys and have had a number of Schecters. I had a Banshee active. The Banshee Elite is upgraded from the Active with some add'l features - I know the trem is a Floyd 1500 for example, maybe ss frets, I forget all the differences but its researched easy enough. Plus the Elite's don't have active pickup options I don't think. Personally, I loved my Banshee active. I wish I didn't sell it. The quality on mine was great and so was the tone and playability. For me - it was the only guitar I have played that was on par with the ibbys in playability. Now I'm a 6 string guy so that is what I'm referencing. I'm sure the 7 would be similar. Hipshot bridge, took different tunings without much or any adjustment really well. Hard to go wrong with it for the price. The Banshee Elites are more expensive.

')