Ibanez RG7EXFX?

• Thread starter BucketheadRules
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I just found out about this little beauty. According to the website I was looking at, it was a Jap-only model and had a 27" scale and EMGs (I don't think any other RG7s have/did have them as standard). :wub::drool: I personally think it looks fantastic, has anyone seen one before (or better still, played one?) Just curious to know because I think it's quite an interesting model and I wondered if any had ever made their way over from Japan.

RG7EXFX2_IPT.gif

Connor

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever seen or played this particular model but I have played the 6 string version and it was quite nice.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
+1

If it's anything like the 6 string version it's a great axe :)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe some of them made it outside of Japan and into other Asian markets, as well as the Euro market. Not "officially" most likely, but it was only quite recently (last couple years) that Ibanez has really started cracking down on export friendly Japanese dealers.

You are correct in assuming that Ibanez has never made another 27" scale, EMG equipped 7-string. They have marketed at least two JCRG7s with EMGs as stock, but not with the 27" scale, the same goes for a similar model with an identical name that was available for a limited time in the US.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Having tried the 6-string version, and assuming that this one plays as well as the sixer, it's a damn nice instrument! It should be interesting to play one of these.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
I had this guitar for about a year and a half until I sold it. The only reason I sold it was because I could get the same amount I payed for it (800 euros, which yes, was incredibly expensive) which funded my Ibanez K7 as I really wanted a trem equipped 7 again.

It was the best korean guitar I have ever played. The fretwork was absolutely flawless, there was no buzz anywhere at all and it intonated perfectly. The neck was the most amazing part, it was substantially thicker than any other Ibanez neck but it still had that D profile with the flat back on the neck, which made it the perfect guitar for me as I was recovering from RSI in my pinky at the time. It also sounded amazing.

If you want to check some sound samples: SoundClick artist: JaeSwift's Abominations - Influenced by many things in life with a serious drive to create what's going on in my head. Always . Creations is recorded with that guitar (its just double tracked and quite unfancy).

The only thing I would change was the bridge, as the saddle screw started to stick out into my hand a little when I got the action down really low.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I lusted over one of these back when I first got into 7s. But then I realized I could buy a 7621 with EMGs for about half the price. :lol:

nedheftyfunk

Reaction score
I have one, bought online from a Japanese retailer. It's a good guitar with a fast neck and fine fret-work. The binding could have been finished a little better. It comes tuned one step down and, due to the long scale, is buzz-free even with light strings. It has a weird finish that only appears non-black under bright lights.

My only real complaints would be that it doesn't have a particularly organic tone and the rosewood used for the fretboard is always thirsty for oil. Still, it sounds great amplified, both with and without distortion, and I really like it; I have some higher end guitars and it still gets pulled off the wall quite regularly. MIK as mentioned before.

Rubbish images as evidence of existence: :lol:

38.jpg

39.jpg

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I remember trying one the first and only time I saw one in Osaka 2 years ago while shopping for a 7. The 27 scale unfortunately didn't do it for me. Otherwise, pretty good axe.

klami

Reaction score
I have an EXFX2 (dont really remember what the difference is though), and I like it! Stays in tune ok and sounds big amped up!

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an RG7EXFX2 which is stamped RG7EXFX, the pics posted earlier are also an RG7EXFX2, off the top of my head the only difference was the paint.

It was my first guitar, it is a great guitar and I still own it but it is probably going to get sold with almost all my other guitars and gear.

It was a Japan only model, I got mine new from Ishibashi.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
i've been guessing. it looks so similiar to the RGT6EX series. now i know it does not say RGT here, but thought i should doublecheck. thanks for clearing that up.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
shitsøn;2388091 said:
i've been guessing. it looks so similiar to the RGT6EX series. now i know it does not say RGT here, but thought i should doublecheck. thanks for clearing that up.

Whoopsy-daisy. That renders my last comment in this thread invalid. I, for some reason, assumed it was the 7-string version of the RGT6EX. My bad.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
What I wouldn't do for this exact same guitar, but with a Floyd Rose...never heard of this model before, but I dig it!

')