Ibanez RG8=Good first 8 string?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
The first 8 string I ever played was the RG8 and it was a major disappointment. Especially for the price tag, it just felt like a guitar of a much lower value as far as playability-sound-quality are concerned.
If you are thinking of buying a new one, rethink it... A used one (if you plan to mod) can be found at a lower price but you can go Schecter or Agile with less hassle and save money in the process.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Dude!! Agile! Get the 827(8 string 27 inch scale). They're $300 before shipping. So like about $370 total if your in America. Or if you want to get actives. Get the silver burst one with blackouts. For about $670 shipped.
Here's a pic to get you all hyped up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190315-195433_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-195433_Chrome.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 27

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ekarinsm

Reaction score
Ditto for Agile. My first 8-string guitar is a used Interceptor 828 I picked up for $400 about 7-8 years ago, and the quality is decent. The neck has a slighty thicker profile than the Ibby's, and the body has some weight to it, being Mahogany and all. The 28" scale length does make bending the high e string a slight pain in the ass, but nothing practice can't overcome. The stock pickups actually sound very similar the Lundgren M8P, haha. I'm kinda on a fence about the Kahler bridge, so if you don't really need the trem, definitely go for the fixed bridge version.

Maybe you should consider one of their multiscale models; it would make playing lead stuffs so much easier while still being able to chug away at the low string with clarity.

Good luck!

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
How about those Washburn Parallaxe ones, they have the EMGS and the Stephen Carpenter cutaway neck design. I do not know if they have a Buzz Feiten treatment as well. Maybe test one of those as well, the price seems decent, especially for a used one.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I don’t think there is anything *wrong* with the RG8, I own one myself. But I certainly don’t feel like it’s worth $400 when a used agile with good aftermarket pups can be had for the same of cheaper. And it will be much higher quality.

Latest posts