Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I agree but unfortunately most metal guys still love EMG's.

hey i'm not knockin the tone of EMGs. i can def see why many love, i had EMGs. they are indeed great pickups, pinch harmonics were juicy and tasty, just seamed to miss something character wise for me. just pretty sick of huge routes that really shouldn't exist at this point and time, EMG has been making 7 and 8 string pickups long enough to make a passive sized housing. yes there's mold changes and it would be a transition for many companies that already make that route, and it might even be a bit expensive, but once it's done, it's done and we can all get back on the everyone loves pickups train.

if/when they do come around to making passive sized, i might get another pair to experiment with and do comparisons

it just strikes me odd, cus Ibanez has a 2228 with passive routes now, so why not put that template in use here. with these i smell shitty AA battery box routes and crappy as fuck pickups all over again, just this time on an RG body with basswood

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I could swear I saw somewhere saying there were passive.

But if I'm wrong, no lynching me.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I agree but unfortunately most metal guys still love EMG's.

True, but given the price of the guitar and the fact that there are affordable ways of still mounting regular passives w/o unsightly gaps, I'd say it's not that big a deal... :2c:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
hey i'm not knockin the tone of EMGs. i can def see why many love, i had EMGs. they are indeed great pickups, pinch harmonics were juicy and tasty, just seamed to miss something character wise for me. just pretty sick of huge routes that really shouldn't exist at this point and time, EMG has been making 7 and 8 string pickups long enough to make a passive sized housing. yes there's mold changes and it would be a transition for many companies that already make that route, and it might even be a bit expensive, but once it's done, it's done and we can all get back on the everyone loves pickups train.

if/when they do come around to making passive sized, i might get another pair to experiment with and do comparisons

it just strikes me odd, cus Ibanez has a 2228 with passive routes now, so why not put that template in use here. with these i smell shitty AA battery box routes and crappy as fuck pickups all over again, just this time on an RG body with basswood

Bc what 8 string passive pickup would they use that they can put into a $400 guitar? The DA8s? Nope... They'd have to develop a pickup. They've already developed that bullshit pickup for the RGA8. Chances are that's what's going in this thing.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bc what 8 string passive pickup would they use that they can put into a $400 guitar? The DA8s? Nope... They'd have to develop a pickup. They've already developed that bullshit pickup for the RGA8. Chances are that's what's going in this thing.

This. I know they're labeled them as something different, but I'm either betting they're the same pickup or a tweaked version of it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
-Finish: Black finish
- Neck: 5pc Maple/Walnut Wizard II-8
- Scale: 27-inch
- Body Material: Basswood
- Frets: Jumbo
- Fretboard: Rosewood
- Inlay: Pearl dot
- Bridge: Fixed
- Neck Pickup: IBZ-8N
- Bridge Pickup: IBZ-8B

Well they aren't the LZ8s so it's possible they may have some passive pup in an active housing. But I don't see what the point of that would be beyond giving people the option to go active if they want w/o routing... That's a consideration I haven't seen before... :lol:

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Maybe, once it's pickup-changing time, we can scrape the stock pickup out of it's housing and put our NEW passive pickup in there!

Or get yourself some 808's or Blackouts. Whatever makes you happy!

I'm going to try the new Duncan Distortion 8's!

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Understandable, but just for info the 8 string D-Activators are supposed to be nothing like the 6 and 7 string versions. From what I remember the only thing they have in common is the name.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Understandable, but just for info the 8 string D-Activators are supposed to be nothing like the 6 and 7 string versions. From what I remember the only thing they have in common is the name.

Haven't heard that. Maybe I'll get a set of those too.

Couldn't hurt, you know?

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
You wont regret it bro. I have an EMG 808 and a Blackout they don't even compare to the D-Activators IMHO. I'm not even a passive pickup type of guy and I love these things.

I still love EMG's and Blackouts for 6's & 7's but 8's are a whole new game.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
As an active guy, I think the Blackout 8 and EMG 808 suck. :ugh:

I STILL want an EMG 81-8. :squint:

Have you tried the 808X's? As I'm sure you know from this board, they are a noticeable improvement over the regular 808's. I'm not a fan of actives, and I really liked them.

MED

Reaction score
The 808X and the deactivators are both pretty good in Ibanez 8's. Usually I am more into passives, but I have been really digging the actives in my 8.

')