Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huge difference between the basswood used in the high end guitar market and the stuff they use for these.

It's about 60/40 on the end of tonally "alive" to dull sounding cheaper Ibby's I have played. But the basswood used in the Jackson CS and EBMM shop is of a far higher grade.

I never understood this idea that the basswood used by EBMM is somehow magically better. I love my JP7 as much as the next guy, but in no way does it sound significantly better than any of my other basswood guitars with similar pickups. The same goes for the Basswood bodied Suhrs I've had my hands on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rekab

Reaction score
Wait just a minute!! BASSwood for GuITAR?!
Is this real life ?
Is this....

Guitar¿

viva shono

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
My experiences with basswood have not been good so I just have a bad taste in my mouth from that. Still willing to give this a try, just wary.

Chances are your experiences with basswood guitars haven't been good because A: the guitars weren't of good quality, or B: they used low quality basswood or other cheaper breeds.

Basswood isn't ONE type of wood, and it isn't all the same as far as quality goes. There are better and worse breeds, and better and worse cuts.

Just laying the facts down for anyone interested ;)

willis7452

Reaction score
It's pretty much going to be a 7321 with another string so if you really want to know how it's going to sound wood wise id try one out if I were any of you wondering. Pick up wise though none of us will know till it comes out!

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
I only use basswood given to me by The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Ibanez basswood from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Mr_Rainmaker, was to carry Ibanez UV7bk. THAT is why I am your king.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
And I bought an Omen 8 not too long ago... I need one of these in my life, I love the feel of Ibbys, Hell I play my 7321 more than any of my guitars just because I like the feel of Ibanez better. plus if the neck joint on this thing is like the one on most Ibanez's I'm gonna go tell my brick of a Schecter to fuck off

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
I only use basswood given to me by The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Ibanez basswood from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Mr_Rainmaker, was to carry Ibanez UV7bk. THAT is why I am your king.
Listen, strange women lying in ponds is no basis for judging quality wood.

I mean, if I went 'round saying I was a luthier just because some moistened bint had lobbed a chunk of wood at me, they'd put me away!

ECGuitars

Reaction score
I never understood this idea that the basswood used by EBMM is somehow magically better. I love my JP7 as much as the next guy, but in no way does it sound significantly better than any of my other basswood guitars with similar pickups. The same goes for the Basswood bodied Suhrs I've had my hands on.

That's because it's not better, basswood isn't like "graded" like you would mahogany, figured maples etc. It's a borderline soft wood, sure you can have a shitty piece that is full of knots or what have you, but that would not make it onto a guitar regardless. However a piece from a $400 Ibanez and a $2500 EBMM/Suhr are going to be nearly identical in every way.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's pretty much going to be a 7321 with another string so if you really want to know how it's going to sound wood wise id try one out if I were any of you wondering. Pick up wise though none of us will know till it comes out!

I love my RG7321 to death, so I have high hopes for this. :shrug:

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
not to throw fuel on the fire, but for reference me and my rhythm guitarist were both tonewood snobs. he swears by mahogany and ebony, and myself mahogoany body and maple necks. when we played 6's we both had les pauls until i moved to my ic400. then we jumped up to 7s, and we both got almost identical guitars. he got a maple/mahogany neck thru with a ebony board, lefty, and me a maple/mahogany neck thru with maple board, righty. a few days ago, i decided to get an ibanez 927, a basswood maple neck bolt on. and it friggin smokes the neck thu i was playing. my rhythm guitarist, who hasnt heard or played the guitar yet since hes a lefty, still thinks i bought a bunch of junk. but i for one, will never judge a guitar by what wood it is again.

the point? even though i think 8 strings are still a little gimicky, im buying one of these badass guitars, in white of course!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He wrote "remove" the Prestige portion of the decal. :rolleyes:

It is essentially the same logo without it.

Edit: Ninja'd by the JazzHands.

:wub:

Yeah, the reason I chose the Prestige one over the swoosh logo or the others is because you can easily remove "Prestige" with an X-acto or utility knife or a pair of scissors.

If I end up getting one of these, I may try to get one of those logos in purple, purple dot inlays, and Black/Purple/Black pickguard and do a "Purple dot" UV 8-string. :D

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Orrr you could ADD to it with letters, like "Ultra Megazord Uber-Prestige Swagnasty".
Or "Prestige Worldwide", something along the lines of that.

Or just realize that your guitar isn't prestigious or special, which is totally fine. Some of the best guitars I've ever owned were rather nondescript. :agreed:

Reaction score
I got word from Zzounds in an email that this is a legit item and that Ibanez is going to launch and reveal it in November for the holliday season. The price is accurate.

I think this guitar is going to be a solid work horse. Nothing fancy, easy to mod and reliable. But then again, 99% of you will probably do the same thing with it, so why even debate the mod options. 808 or blackouts is all most of these guitars will ever see.

')