Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Me: Is there any official word on the rumored RG8 entry-level 8 string? If so, when can we expect it to be released?

Official Ibanez Guitars USA said:
Look for official info in December.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Finally, maybe my Guitar Center will ship this in and get rid of that shitty dean 8 on their wall.

:lol: Yeah OK!

tbb529

Reaction score
I work at a mom and pop music store, and FedEx brought us a black RG8 today! I've taken a few pictures and given it a little play time; other than a few finish flaws that you'd expect on a $400 instrument, it's a pretty solid guitar! The pickups seem to be on the trebly side, very much unlike my buddy's RGA8 I've played. I'll get the pics uploaded tonight after I get off.

willis7452

Reaction score
I work at a mom and pop music store, and FedEx brought us a black RG8 today! I've taken a few pictures and given it a little play time; other than a few finish flaws that you'd expect on a $400 instrument, it's a pretty solid guitar! The pickups seem to be on the trebly side, very much unlike my buddy's RGA8 I've played. I'll get the pics uploaded tonight after I get off.

Please do!!! If this thing is real holy crap:scream:

Pandemican

Reaction score

Are the pickups active, or passives in active housing?

tbb529

Reaction score
At this price, probably passive.

Yup, though as a dude that prefers passives I don't understand the desire to put them in active looking housing. I wish I had more to say about the actual sound of the pickups but unfortunately we don't have any amp that's capable of handling a low F. Pics still on the way as soon as I'm freed from the clutches of work.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Yup, though as a dude that prefers passives I don't understand the desire to put them in active looking housing. I wish I had more to say about the actual sound of the pickups but unfortunately we don't have any amp that's capable of handling a low F. Pics still on the way as soon as I'm freed from the clutches of work.

I think ibanez expects 90% of the buyers to leave it stock or swap in EMGs or Blackouts.

You can install passives and just pop the same covers over them I think, or use pickup rings, right?

Thats what I plan on doing, anyway.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Listen, strange women lying in ponds is no basis for judging quality wood.
30094285.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ectoshock

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that has been killing me with Ibanez products over the past 6 years. Ive been playing Ibanez guitars for 15 years, and have bought/sold more Ibanez guitars than my wife wants to remember. Anyone recall when you were able to buy a Prestige RG1527 for $699? 2005 was a good year and a guitar of that caliber was really true bang for the buck. That was a great instrument (one I shouldn't have let go). Point being, I know times are different, and like with all things we're paying more and getting less.

My concern is for all the guys on here getting that fluttering heart seeing a 400 price tag and gassing to drop hundreds of dollars on pickups and mods. I'm not in anyway judging, because I myself have gotten the jitters customizing a few guitars, and putting out way too much, only to sell them for a fraction of what I put into them. I'd suggest if you're going to take a chance on an 8 string, especially from one of these online dealers, take advantage of the return policy. Play it (don't abuse it) and make a "love it or leave it decision from there. Even if you take a little hit on a possible restocking fee or return shipping, beats being stuck with a $400 "why did I bother with this" or even more if you tear it apart and mod it. I can only imagine how many will be on ebay or CL after the holidays ("wanted to try an 8 but not really my thing")

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or some preaching nut, but the way things have come to be, there is seemingly NO resale value left. and I feel bad for people trying to make a return or even break even on their investments. Ex: Seen a RGD2127z with Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups on eBay a few months back. I'm sure the guy paid 1600 for the guitar, 400 or so for the pickups and installation, then all the eBay fees. Think he sold it for 1200, probably only took home 1000 all said and done. Point being, modding this guitar will get you about 100, so just be careful. Sound like I've done this a few times? A few more times than I care to remember.

If Ibanez wanted to do a budget type model, why not just keep the basic design, materials, hardware and deal with EMG or Seymour Duncan for the pickups on this project. Charge $550-650, throw in a gig bag and at least make you feel like you got something ready to play and be happy with. Don't make something that's forced to be modded out of the box. I am not naive though, I know this is typical,but just a thought.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that has been killing me with Ibanez products over the past 6 years. Ive been playing Ibanez guitars for 15 years, and have bought/sold more Ibanez guitars than my wife wants to remember. Anyone recall when you were able to buy a Prestige RG1527 for $699? 2005 was a good year and a guitar of that caliber was really true bang for the buck. That was a great instrument (one I shouldn't have let go). Point being, I know times are different, and like with all things we're paying more and getting less.

My concern is for all the guys on here getting that fluttering heart seeing a 400 price tag and gassing to drop hundreds of dollars on pickups and mods. I'm not in anyway judging, because I myself have gotten the jitters customizing a few guitars, and putting out way too much, only to sell them for a fraction of what I put into them. I'd suggest if you're going to take a chance on an 8 string, especially from one of these online dealers, take advantage of the return policy. Play it (don't abuse it) and make a "love it or leave it decision from there. Even if you take a little hit on a possible restocking fee or return shipping, beats being stuck with a $400 "why did I bother with this" or even more if you tear it apart and mod it. I can only imagine how many will be on ebay or CL after the holidays ("wanted to try an 8 but not really my thing")

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or some preaching nut, but the way things have come to be, there is seemingly NO resale value left. and I feel bad for people trying to make a return or even break even on their investments. Ex: Seen a RGD2127z with Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups on eBay a few months back. I'm sure the guy paid 1600 for the guitar, 400 or so for the pickups and installation, then all the eBay fees. Think he sold it for 1200, probably only took home 1000 all said and done. Point being, modding this guitar will get you about 100, so just be careful. Sound like I've done this a few times? A few more times than I care to remember.

If Ibanez wanted to do a budget type model, why not just keep the basic design, materials, hardware and deal with EMG or Seymour Duncan for the pickups on this project. Charge $550-650, throw in a gig bag and at least make you feel like you got something ready to play and be happy with. Don't make something that's forced to be modded out of the box. I am not naive though, I know this is typical,but just a thought.

Taking a guitar and making it my own is one of the most fun parts for me. And not everybody is going to put expensive pickups in and completely overhaul the guitar. Budget models are FOR people who want decent guitars but don't have a whole lot of money to blow on a guitar. Me? I will have to save up for a few months to get this guitar, because right now I'm unemployed. Should I just not have fun playing a guitar simply because it isn't incredibly good?

')