Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
First post & you try to curtail excitement...Fail!
I want one with Aftermaths!

This is the kind of stuff that has been killing me with Ibanez products over the past 6 years. Ive been playing Ibanez guitars for 15 years, and have bought/sold more Ibanez guitars than my wife wants to remember. Anyone recall when you were able to buy a Prestige RG1527 for $699? 2005 was a good year and a guitar of that caliber was really true bang for the buck. That was a great instrument (one I shouldn't have let go). Point being, I know times are different, and like with all things we're paying more and getting less.

My concern is for all the guys on here getting that fluttering heart seeing a 400 price tag and gassing to drop hundreds of dollars on pickups and mods. I'm not in anyway judging, because I myself have gotten the jitters customizing a few guitars, and putting out way too much, only to sell them for a fraction of what I put into them. I'd suggest if you're going to take a chance on an 8 string, especially from one of these online dealers, take advantage of the return policy. Play it (don't abuse it) and make a "love it or leave it decision from there. Even if you take a little hit on a possible restocking fee or return shipping, beats being stuck with a $400 "why did I bother with this" or even more if you tear it apart and mod it. I can only imagine how many will be on ebay or CL after the holidays ("wanted to try an 8 but not really my thing")

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or some preaching nut, but the way things have come to be, there is seemingly NO resale value left. and I feel bad for people trying to make a return or even break even on their investments. Ex: Seen a RGD2127z with Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups on eBay a few months back. I'm sure the guy paid 1600 for the guitar, 400 or so for the pickups and installation, then all the eBay fees. Think he sold it for 1200, probably only took home 1000 all said and done. Point being, modding this guitar will get you about 100, so just be careful. Sound like I've done this a few times? A few more times than I care to remember.

If Ibanez wanted to do a budget type model, why not just keep the basic design, materials, hardware and deal with EMG or Seymour Duncan for the pickups on this project. Charge $550-650, throw in a gig bag and at least make you feel like you got something ready to play and be happy with. Don't make something that's forced to be modded out of the box. I am not naive though, I know this is typical,but just a thought.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Thank you for your wisdom kind sir, now please let us get back to "wasting" our money.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
WAAAAAAAAAAAH I CAN'T RESALE MY MODDED $400 GUITAR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

If the pickups are decent enough (I seriously doubt it), I won't mod it. But if anything, I'm just going to spend $80 on a D-Activator 8 and $7 on a 5-string bass pickup cover.

So... yeah. My wallet. Not yours. :lol:

And if I get a new guitar? .... it, it either becomes a backup, practice guitar, or will be used for different tunings.

Reaction score
And furthermore, anyone who buys 8 string guitars realizes that they may never get anything close to what the guitar is worth in costs, as it is a very specific market. So therefore, go mod crazy, and live it up with your guitar, since you might be stuck with it for a while

ectoshock

Reaction score
This is exactly why I don't bother posting opinions on forums. I wasn't even directing anything negative at any players or people in particular. Just stating a few thoughts because of how much money we spend on guitars. F'n A. Can't say a goddamn word around any of you people.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
This is exactly why I don't bother posting opinions on forums. I wasn't even directing anything negative at any players or people in particular. Just stating a few thoughts because of how much money we spend on guitars. F'n A. Can't say a goddamn word around any of you people.

The thread however is not about pricing and resale of guitars, and Ibanez as a company's recent decline, it's about a guitar.

Also nobody said you were trying to offend or direct anything towards a particular person, it was just off-topic, preachy, and annoying.

rty13ibz98

Reaction score
me personally, i havent' been really impressed with the ibanez "bang for the buck" aspect in the past 10 years. the 8 string market for them has been great for them, but the lack of models in their roster is very disappointing. this reminds me much of the RG7620 craze of 98. i don't own an ibanez 8, but i do own a shitload of 6's and 7's; and plan on getting the RG8 with the intention of putting a pair of emgs that i pull from my schecters in there(distortions hurry up and become available). it will become my beater 8 and i fully intend on keeping it as i love my schecters and feel almost obligated to own some type of ibanez 8. so mixed feelings aside, i readily await this guitar...anxiously even.

rich

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score

No shit dude. You were just expressing an opinion and all these guys go full on douche on ya. It's one thing to not agree, but to be assholes isn't required. Unfourtunally, around here, if you don't think like the mass, they get violent and act like dicks sometimes.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
the 8 string market for them has been great for them, but the lack of models in their roster is very disappointing.

rich

:spock: this is an extremely niche market and they have 3 different models at 3 drasticLy different price points. That sounds like ibanez is doing a damn good job in that aspect IMO.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score

Just roll with the punches, man. People are going to disagree. It's the nature of forums.

I agree with some of what you said, but I feel that you may be assessing the intended value of a budget guitar too high. I don't think Ibanez made this guitar for serious players who want to upgrade it into a beast, or for people that want to do some upgrades and flip it for a profit. It seems to me they just wanted something to offer newbies to 8-strings to try without the price tag of an RG2228 or even an RGA8.

rty13ibz98

Reaction score
:spock: this is an extremely niche market and they have 3 different models at 3 drasticLy different price points. That sounds like ibanez is doing a damn good job in that aspect IMO.

i can see your point there. i just see more variety in the schecter line. i probably am just used to having all those 6 string options and wanting them bled over into the 8 string market.

rich

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
No shit dude. You were just expressing an opinion and all these guys go full on douche on ya. It's one thing to not agree, but to be assholes isn't required. Unfourtunally, around here, if you don't think like the mass, they get violent and act like dicks sometimes.

Agreed, but hilarious post given your username. :lol:

tbb529

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay fellas, and apologies that they're iPhone pics but here's the RG8!

IMG_1128.jpg

here's the main finish flaw I talked about earlier, still, not a big deal on a $400 instrument.

IMG_1130.jpg

here's where it gets interesting:

IMG_1132.jpg

a bass string slot for the lowest string! I wasn't aware they did this (my buddy's RGA8 isn't like it), or is it just something new for this guitar? and here's a closeup:

IMG_1131.jpg

want any specific pictures? just let me know.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It looks really awesome. I'd LOVE to see the white one.

...But what the fuck is up with that bass ferrule? :rofl:

tbb529

Reaction score
thanks for the pix, are the frets similar to those on the rga8?

haven't played an RGA8 in a few months but the necks feel pretty damn similar if not identical. and props to Ibanez for actually beefing up the low string on this one... when my friend's RGA8 came in the bottom 2 strings were identical except one was tuned to Bb and one to F.

')